Ire

Tension In Learning

13 posts in this topic

Hello everybody, this is my first post and I want to share with you something I would like to cut from the root and is annoying me since I was in the school. 

The good news is that I started to follow Leo's videos and I became more awareness in the way my mind is functioning. The thing is that every time I sit and read an article a book or web page with some specific information that I should learn for my work I fell a lot of tension and I loose a lot of energy. The tension start to appear when I need to reason, think over or reflect about what I am reading. In that moment a lot of thought appear like " you are not capable" and  I start to feel anxious and then I star doubting about what I am reading, then I ask questions from what I am reading and I have the feeling that I am asking to me stupid questions and I star to doubt to much and I end without  learning and not understanding anything. I start looking why I react like that every time I want to study and I think is insecurity, anxiety and judgment on my self that generate a lot of tension and I loose a lot of energy.

So, How can I improve the process of learning and enjoying it without feeling so tense? Which are the best way to learn and incorporate out of the most of knowledge without our self judgment in the way we process the information?

Thanks a lot in advance :)

I would go with self-inquiry and meditation, the effects of those practices will also extend to every area of your life. There's some good videos about self-inquiry and meditation on Leo's channel. When you start to get a better grasp on what thought is, you will stop treating them with so much respect. Those thoughts should be treated like any other movement as some spiritual teacher said. The videos will give you further insight hope this helps.

@Ire This is definitely a lack of concentration.

Learn some pranayamas and it will easily improve.

Thanks  @Jani and @Henri for your advices. 

The lack of concentration was also always a problem. It is possible with meditation to improve? I would like also to understand why I loose so much concentration. 

many thanks I feel very grateful for yours response ???

We want so badly to achieve our high goals and aspirations that even the tiniest kink in our learning can feel like a huge loss. So in a desperate attempt to understand you send out broad spectrum neural signals frantically attempting to compile and associate the new informational input.  However, this ends up being very analogues to something like quick sand. The more your struggle the harder it becomes.

Just take a deep breath and let go. Easier said that done i know.

One change you need to make is your relationship to failure. You have to be ok with it. Expect it even. Because you will fail. A LOT.  Thats ok.

All of the fear and shame you experience is of your own doing. You play a feedback loop of dogma and harsh criticism that you have built up in your mind to be more than it is.

Remember avoiding pain and discomfort is our base level operation. Be present and mindful for the uncomfortable situations. Dont avoid them.

Above all else, take it one step at a time. Once you find your rhythm it will come easy.

Dude I'm the same but a little different it's like I sit down to learn and it's 'oh hi, balls. Itchy?' And my body just feels so irritated.

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few” 
― Shunryu Suzuki

@LateBloomer Try this one and when you are not able to do the ujjayi breathe, find a local teacher. There plenty of them nowadays. 9_9

@Ire  The first thing you need to be aware of is that the reason that happens to you is not because you are stupid or anything, its just a very natural emotional resistance that happens every time we try to learn something we are not quite comfortable with ( Its a Human Thingy. ). And the reason your mind resists it, is because it is still in its infancy to know how to process the language, let alone use it to reason and play with easily. Just give it more time, start expressing yourself more in english by keeping a diary. Once the mind hangs out with the language enough, it will befriend it and enable you to play and reason with it. 

@Henri Hey Henri one more question: Ive read something about the technique you suggested and some people say that you need to be careful while you do it. Do you know anything about that? To me that technique doesn't seem anything too complicated. But anyways are there some dangers related to this practice if I do/try alone?

@LateBloomer No mate, not at all. Otherwise the Art of Living would not have posted it on you tube!

It`s a quite common and known pranayama exercise and there is nothing to worry about. 9_9