Mult

Struggling with getting a PC. Help!

10 posts in this topic

Hello, I've been struggling with a issue the past 2 months. Some of you might not think it's a big problem but it really is for me. Im building a new PC, because my current one is very old. I'll use it for university homework, programming, journaling, writing, watching shows, videos and some gaming.

I've picked some middle class parts which are mostly used for gaming, but i'm not planning on playing much nor about playing the latest big games. I haven't had a strong PC so i never really could've fulfilled this desire for games.

If i get this PC i think I'll force myself into playing more, because of this stupid mindset of mine of making the most out of my money, especially if it costs a lot - "I used so much money on it, i gotta make the most of it". I've been procrastianting on getting it because i don't know if i want this exactly. I don't think i need such a strong PC, but the difference in prices with some weaker components isn't that big at first glance.

I LOVE philosophy and writing, i love coming up with stories and characters. I'm very nervous and stressed if i start playing i won't be thinking about philosophy nor writing  and i'd be wasting my time. Ever since Leo's first journal video, I've been writing ideas in it on and off and it's gotten pretty long! I'm worried that i'll stop writing because of playing  games and this mindset "why do that on this computer, i can do that on any computer".

Not only that, but i want to get more into self help after i've satisfied this gaming desire. I actively watched Leo last year but since i've only watched a handful of videos. I saw his video "The power of letting go" and i was instantly reminded how helpful all of this is, and i wanna get more into it step by step. But i also want to play games a little (for now).

I feel lost and i don't know what to do with the PC. I want to finish building it ASAP because i've been procrastinating a lot on it , but i don't know if the parts i picked are what i want. I feel if i get them it'll be more damaging to me than helpful, i'd feel guilty buying something so expensive when i might not need it, i'd feel like im wasting money and i'll have to "justify" the price by playing more. I've also thought about fixing the mindset itself, which indeed will help a lot, but i'd still be losing money and i wanna save some.

I want to hear your advice and suggestions. Thank you in advance.

I'm very sorry if I posted in the wrong forum or if this count's as "Abnormal Psychology" which isn't the main focus of this forum, I don't know what's another forum i can ask for help with this.

Just buy a good laptop instead with the same price. Way less tempting to game, but at the same time, you get good ergonomics and good mobility if you buy a good machine

8 minutes ago, Hello from Russia said:

Just buy a good laptop instead with the same price. Way less tempting to game, but at the same time, you get good ergonomics and good mobility if you buy a good machine

Mobility isn't that important to me. I'll think about it though. It's true that it's way less tempting to play and I'll be more focus on other stuff, like journaling, writing etc. But i'm worried about their longevity.

21 hours ago, Cocolove said:

if you become a gamer

you're life will be lamer

I agree to an extent. But i'm not planning to be "gamer", i just want to play some indie games sometimes, they can be really fun. Because i haven't played much, this desire just stayed and stayed, and i wanna fulfill it.

I'll be honest i'm not doing much personal development work now, but i wanna do more. I want to be the best I can be. But i think that if i get the gaming desire out of the way, by playing untill i feel like i've had enough, i'll have more time and i'll be more focused on the fewer things i'm doing, like personal development and my passion projects.

I could be wrong on the "if you have X desire, do it until feel like you've had enough'" - i might not get satisfied and keep playing. If i continue too much i think i'll have to decide what i wanna do and i might cut playing.

i would buy a "tiny" pc with a retina display (300 or more pixels per inch).

low spec hardware = good old games ( https://www.gog.com ) & indies.

i do watch some gameplay videos on youtube (4k / 60fps) of the latest games, that's enough for me.

Edited by Soulbass

10 hours ago, Soulbass said:

i would buy a "tiny" pc with a retina display (300 or more pixels per inch).

low spec hardware = good old games ( https://www.gog.com ) & indies.

i do watch some gameplay videos on youtube (4k / 60fps) of the latest games, that's enough for me.

What does a retina display equivalate to? Like in terms of screens, inches or something else. When i researched monitors (not on laptops, just monitors so that might be why i didn't find this) i didn't see or pay attention to pizels per inch.

Thanks for your advice!

@Mult I get addicted to gaming (oldschool rpgs) really hard so I gave away all the PC stuff I had and bought a laptop which isn't capable of gaming. I'm off the hook for 3 years now. The mobility part of a laptop is a big advantage IMO because you can go to a library or a café to eleminate inevitable distractions you'll face at home.

How good can control yourself when it comes to gaming? I guess this is the question you should base your decision on to rather build your PC or not. 

8 hours ago, Odysseus said:

@Mult I get addicted to gaming (oldschool rpgs) really hard so I gave away all the PC stuff I had and bought a laptop which isn't capable of gaming. I'm off the hook for 3 years now. The mobility part of a laptop is a big advantage IMO because you can go to a library or a café to eleminate inevitable distractions you'll face at home.

How good can control yourself when it comes to gaming? I guess this is the question you should base your decision on to rather build your PC or not. 

Very good question! How good can i control myself? Honestly I wonder that myself, especially with lack of the possibility to play for so long.

I don't think i would control myself very well. I think i might "pig out" on games the first weeks and gradually stop after some time. I might also procrastinate on assignments even harder than before.

I also think just the fact that i have a strong PC, that i have the possibilty, the option to play, will provoke me to play - like an environmental cue (I could be wrong about this). But i'm sure i can overcome this mindset/idea.

But i did learn a lot from Leo's "rant on morality" and "should statements" videos, and that helped with letting go of a lot of issues before he even made his video on this. If i keep up the letting go practices, i might be done with games faster,

I don't want to get addicted to games! I really love philosophy and writing (more like coming up with ideas for stories), and I'm really afraid if i get addicted, i'll stop doing them at all. It might not be a bad idea to get a somewhat limited PC - like an APU - so i don't play as much and focus on other things instead. Still not sure if it's a good idea to kill off my desire to play games like that.

This thread is quite old and @Mult hasnt been logged in since almost a year now. Locked.

Please check the date on posts.