How to be wise

Why is Ralston not famous?

11 posts in this topic

I would expect that somebody who mastered himself so much would be revered and even worshipped by thousands of people. But Ralston doesn’t even have a Wikipedia page. Kind of sad really. What is the link between self-mastery and fame? Can there be extremely egoless people who are not even noticed by others? Why is that?

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

I'm not familiar with who you are talking about, but, how many Zen masters have wikipedia pages though? To my knowledge not many. There can't be a direct correlation between self mastery and fame

Usually the most noticed celebrities by the masses have the biggest egos (kardashians, lol) because so many lost people idolize their lavish lives wanting to be them. The bigger you get as an ego-less person the less of the general public there is that is gonna relate to you or value/understand where you are coming from

"Started from the bottom and I just realized I'm still there since the money and the fame is an illusion" -Drake doing self-inquiry

19 minutes ago, TrynaBeTurquoise said:

I'm not familiar with who you are talking about,

That’s what I mean. ?

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

"Leave greatness to others. Become so small that no one can see you. This conviction results from growing devotion to the supreme reality."

~Nisargadatta Maharaj

I am almost 100 percent certain I once read his Wikipedia entry. I could be mistaken or it might have been taken down.
This site cites his Wikipedia page: http://www.thefullwiki.org/Peter_Ralston
, which makes me think it got taken down. Which is weird.

He's not famous because he is way beyond any current cultures center of gravity and most people literally could not want anything to do with his teaching. Consider yourself lucky you do ^_^

4 hours ago, How to be wise said:

"... extremely egoless people who are not even noticed by others? Why is that?"

@How to be wise Well, there you go. You've practically answered your own question. Their egolessness is exactly what makes them so invisible and insignificant to all others who can't recognize the "specialness" of someone like that. It's just not something they really care about. 

Hey, what's up! This is Jack R. Hayes, I'm an author, currently living in Germany. Thus far, I've written two books, both in English and German; one's called "User's Manual for Human Beings", and the other one's called "The Wisdom Espresso". If you'd like to check out my work, visit me at  https://jackrhayes.de  or go to Amazon and search for my name. I'd be happy to see you there!

@How to be wise Fame is actually an egoic attachment and a huge pain in the ass otherwise.
It is the price one has to pay for having big impact if that is something that s/he pursues.

Edited by tsuki

Bearing with the conditioned in gentleness, fording the river with resolution, not neglecting what is distant, not regarding one's companions; thus one may manage to walk in the middle. H11L2

I think questions like- Why x is famouse, Why 'Buddha' is famous, Why 'Krishna' is famous, has more to do with the historical events that followed.

You can look at the article about the spread of Buddhism or Christianity. It has a huge complex history. 

Ralston may or may not be as enligthened as the Buddha, he may even exceed Buddha, but that is irrevelant, a master becoming famous or not has more to do with the historical events that follow.

There may have been many Buddhas who were as enligthened as the original one, but still no one knows about them but that doesn't mean they were less enlightened.

"Whatever you do or dream you can begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. "   - Goethe

My Blog- Writing for Therapy

He's like the grinch of nonduality. In his youtube videos he sits in his ugly wicker chair in a sloppy t shirt 3 sizes too big and flails around as he rants about stupid people. I mean, I enjoy the variety but it's not for everyone. There's a sense that he's fundamentally missing something very important that can make listening to him painful. Hopefully one of these days he'll get annoyed enough with the rest of us and venture out to steal Christmas.

In comparison Eckhart Tolle and Rupert Spira give off an aura of peace and tranquility, they sound beautiful, they dress nicely and they even have pretty flowers in the background. 

There are way more enlightened and fully self-realized people in the world than you've ever heard of. Very few are famous or even well known. 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

@mandyjw Hah, yeah, Ralston probably just doesn't give a fuck... As long as he's got all he needs, why should he, right? The people that are serious enough about the whole thing will come to him, but he doesn't come to them.

Hey, what's up! This is Jack R. Hayes, I'm an author, currently living in Germany. Thus far, I've written two books, both in English and German; one's called "User's Manual for Human Beings", and the other one's called "The Wisdom Espresso". If you'd like to check out my work, visit me at  https://jackrhayes.de  or go to Amazon and search for my name. I'd be happy to see you there!