Cykaaaa

The problem with open-mindedness

26 posts in this topic

@Key Elements So you're basically saying that I should focus on my life purpose more and take under consideration that I'll evolve along the way? Rather than focus on spiritual stuff?

I guess you're right. This would be a more strategic move. Right now I'm into spirituality, because it's what I really enjoy, but I see your point. I gotta develop my life purpose more, otherwise I'll end up a wage slave (that one day won't even be able to develop spiritually due to the mind-numbing job). 

I'll try to be as strategic as possible. I'll do my best.

Enslavement by illusion is comfortable. It is the liberation by Truth that people fear.

The false dissolves when it is discovered. 

Anyways, if anyone has something more to add regarding the problem with open-mindedness - the main focus of this thread - share your thoughts! Although I'm pretty content with what's already been said in this thread. A lot of useful advice here.

Enslavement by illusion is comfortable. It is the liberation by Truth that people fear.

The false dissolves when it is discovered. 

15 minutes ago, Cykaaaa said:

@Key Elements So you're basically saying that I should focus on my life purpose more and take under consideration that I'll evolve along the way? Rather than focus on spiritual stuff?

I guess you're right. This would be a more strategic move. Right now I'm into spirituality, because it's what I really enjoy, but I see your point. I gotta develop my life purpose more, otherwise I'll end up a wage slave (that one day won't even be able to develop spiritually due to the mind-numbing job). 

I'll try to be as strategic as possible. I'll do my best.

That's correct. Don't forget the other side to the story. SD and Maslow's are pretty balanced.

Something I came across in the AA literature that I found to be powerful.....

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance—that principle is contempt prior to investigation" - Herbert Spencer (although I understand some dispute this as the original source)

I think what's key here is the last few words contempt prior to investigation

The degree to which investigation is pursued then becomes a personal choice appropriate to the situation. A judgment call perhaps. I guess the term investigation could mean "consideration of other potential factors at play". 

Sometimes like Leo says, you might just conclude that a person is so in denial and/or deluded that nothing can be done and it's best to step back and get away from the wreckage. 

I think as long as I am willing to consider new information and really try hard to be aware of how my prejudices and ignorance may contaminate my viewpoint I am nearer to open mindedness than close mindedness. 

I would argue that you should always be open to the possibility that you are the close minded one or, at least, that you are not seeing the whole picture and mistaking your leftist ideology for logic and reason. For example, SJWs and AntiFa believe to be the good guys, while obviously they are the Nazi ones.

You might want to study the issue from all perspectives, watch videos from all sides, i.e. Joe Rogan, somealready mentioned Stefan Molyneux, Jordan Peterson, hell, even PragerU. It does not mean you have to agree with them on everything, but at least try to honestly understand where they come from, rather then dismissing them at close minded bigots or something. :)

... redpill guy - unhealthy stage blue, I'd say.  Then there's me, very solid stage green with a pretty open mind.

Sounds like you think that you are "better" than your friend. There's nothing that you can do that makes you a "better" person, including attaining higher spirituality.

I am fighting with him pretty much constantly about topics like ...

I am accusing him of close-mindedness ...

You can't change someone's mind by arguing or accusing. Think about it from his perspective for a second, it has taken him years and years, his entire life experience, to arrive at his values and his understanding of the world. Hundreds of news articles, hundreds of hours of videos and scrolling through forums, books, personal life experiences etc etc. Just like you. It would be ridiculous to assume that he should just change his mind because you told him so. You didn't change your positions either when he accused you back of closed mindedness, so why should he?

Sometimes I'm wondering... What if I am the deluded one?

Sounds like it.

When should we cease being open-minded to certain perspectives?

Never.

Why are you even trying to change his values? Do you know how annoying it is to have friends like that. Why don't you try understanding and accepting him first?

Edited by crab12
Grammar