Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Joker_Theory

Choiceless awareness meditation

6 posts in this topic

I am doing a 20 min Choiceless awareness meditation and so far i am really getting my mind very quiet very quickly and also detaching to everything. It's almost the same kind of meditation than the do nothing technique but you don't get lost in monkey mind but you let everything be, like surrendering to what is happening and being aware of it all at the same time.  There is little control to stay focused on everything without labeling and so detaching from the senses or what is inside the senses.

For example you watch you breath as it is for 3-5 mins and then you listen to sounds but as sounds not identifying with any sound like that is a loud or soft sound or it's a car making the sound and adding hearing to the breathing like both at the same time, the same with the body you feel the whole body first and then the sensations and emotions but you see them as feeling, so with the mind as thinking , smelling and tasting if there is any. It's like watching and adding senses almost like being omnipresent with everything and that is very tricky in the beginning. Also, while watching to remember you the one that's watching and there is no separation between the seer and the seeing, the hearer and the hearing and so on...

I am just worried that this meditation like the do nothing meditation can cause serious problems like hearing a car come on and then your like hearing just the sound and you don't get out the way and bammm your a goner!!! yikes!!! or like you will become so disconnected that you become like a zombie in conversations and make a fool out of yourself in front of others and i have that fear already, so double yikes!!!

What do you think will happen if you really master this technique?  Should i continue with this meditation?

"Your the left eye and i am the right would it not be madness to fight, WE COME ONE." - Faithless

@ajasatya  I guess. Just don't want to waist my time and after 3 months or so when i realized oh shit and have to start another meditation or be lost like some people i have met here. Why i am asking.

"Your the left eye and i am the right would it not be madness to fight, WE COME ONE." - Faithless

@Joker_Theory This kind of thing is hardly learned from someone else's experience. You need to go through the struggles, the losses and the victories yourself or you'll never attain Wisdom.

unborn Truth

@ajasatya  I understand.

This is like my main sitting meditation method, although I can't altogether distinguish between  choiceless awareness (CA), do nothing, letting go, vijaati, let it be. Subtle differences I suppose. I even had the thought recently that CA is like having the whole undivided here & now as my mantra instead of a part of it, like the breath. But I don't do it all the time, just for sitting meditation, for general daily life I would say mindfulness works better. 

Anyway,what I find with CA is, my mind flips between divided consciousness (observer & observed), and undivided (the observer is the observed as Krishnamurti said). But I always have a choice to come back into my regular ego self (divided consciousness) for practical purposes. If I'm crossing the road or talking with friends, for example I wouldn't attempt to go into full meditation mode! I think the same applies to other techniques too, if I'm crossing the road, I would concentrate on the traffic, rather than a mantra or body scanning etc. 

It might be an idea to try other techniques anyway, to make your overall practice more rounded, and give you a variety of tools to help with different states. Eg to work on concentration, loving kindness, or just plain relaxation, whatever you feel you need. I try to keep a monthly meditation journal to reflect on how it's going and what to try next. Maybe posting here works too! 

Nick. 

Everything is connected, but connections are only necessary from a fragmented point of view. What's the connection between two waves? The whole deep ocean which they are made of in the first place!