Truth Addict

What is a lie?

25 posts in this topic

Share your understanding of lies/illusion.

Just gathering perspectives for a potential future thread.

A lie is a deliberate attempt at creating an illusion.
Illusion is when something appears to be different from what it is.

A lie implies intent and a liar, while illusion does not.
Some know that there only appears to be a liar, so lies in themselves are an illusion.
Illusion is ultimately how creation happens, so illusions are real.

Bearing with the conditioned in gentleness, fording the river with resolution, not neglecting what is distant, not regarding one's companions; thus one may manage to walk in the middle. H11L2

15 minutes ago, Inliytened1 said:

That's a lie. :)

Jk

That's a lie. :)

No kidding.

What about lies we say when we’re emotional. Such as: “I’m fine” when it’s actually not true but we’re scared or angry and don’t want to speak about what’s really going on?

Lies are an interesting thing.  Because they are in the realm of the relative - truth with a lowercase t vs falsehood is a duality..and as we know all dualities are relative.  

If a person actually believes their own lie is it still a lie?

Isn't truth vs falsehood something we make up?

Interesting questions to ponder...

Edited by Inliytened1

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

16 minutes ago, Farnaby said:

What about lies we say when we’re emotional. Such as: “I’m fine” when it’s actually not true but we’re scared or angry and don’t want to speak about what’s really going on?

Interesting question.

11 minutes ago, Inliytened1 said:

Lies are an interesting thing.  Because they are in the realm of the relative - truth with a lowercase t vs falsehood is a duality..and as we know all dualities are relative.  

If a person actually believes their own lie is it still a lie?

Isn't truth vs falsehood something we make up?

Interesting questions to ponder...

You're going to draft Mr. David :P

@tsuki @WelcometoReality

I like the distinction you've made between lies and illusion.

Anyway, let alone the earlier distinction, isn't the distinction between 'what is' and 'illusion' illusory? I mean isn't 'what is' merely an appearance? Isn't 'what is' how it appears to be? How could illusions exist at all?

Furthermore, isn't language itself illusory as well? So how can we know what a lie actually is while we still have to make sure that our method is not one? I would say that it works both ways, depending on how we look at it.

I would say that a lie is what we think it is. We create lies with our thinking.

@Nahm

I'm not sure of what you mean.

@ActualizedDavid

How so?

10 hours ago, Farnaby said:

I think from the meta perspective we could say that being scared or angry don't contradict being fine.

However, saying that I'm fine does not say anything about reality, since language is just symbols and symbols don't really have meanings in actuality.

9 hours ago, Nahm said:

This is a lie. 

How do you distinguish a lie from the truth? Calling something a lie is just covering 'what is' with a transparent layer of belief ?

10 hours ago, Inliytened1 said:

What is the realm of the relative? To me, assuming that equals saying that there is a free will, or that duality is the case. I would say that the realm of the relative is the realm that the devil had created so that he doesn't have to wake up.

6 hours ago, Keyhole said:

Something that deviates from Truth.

Are they different in any means though?

Edited by Truth Addict

Truth is Harmony

Lie is Disharmony

:)

B R E A T H E

Just now, pluto said:

Truth is Harmony

Lie is Disharmony

What if Disharmony is the case?

59 minutes ago, Truth Addict said:

@tsuki @WelcometoReality

I like the distinction you've made between lies and illusion.

Anyway, let alone the earlier distinction, isn't the distinction between 'what is' and 'illusion' illusory? I mean isn't 'what is' merely an appearance? Isn't 'what is' how it appears to be? How could illusions exist at all?

'What is', is an appearance, but calling it 'merely' an appearance is a huge understatement.
Illusion is how all of creation happens, but it says nothing about why creation happens.
By dismissing existence as, let's say, feature, you are dismissing Love as the 'basis (?)' of Emptiness.
Basis is not the right word here, but I will leave it as that to prevent this conversation from spiraling down again.

If you see that 'what is', is an appearance, then there is no reason to ask 'why' that appearance is.
However, the same predicament binds you when you don't see that 'what is' is an appearance and have not even started seeking.
There is no reason to seek, but that is not a good enough reason to not seek.

Illusions exist because they themselves are illusory

Bearing with the conditioned in gentleness, fording the river with resolution, not neglecting what is distant, not regarding one's companions; thus one may manage to walk in the middle. H11L2

Lying is relative. If one is lying to onself for so long, that lie becomes truth from ones perspective. 

@tsuki

I don't get it. How can there be something that doesn't exist. How is illusion real but is not existing?

Is the interpretation of truth what you mean with the word 'illusion'? If so, Is not the interpretation being?

What I mean by the word 'appearance' is one irreducible thing, be it thoughts, sights, sounds, interpretations, etc... or a mixture of some or all of them. We might as well call it 'the present moment'.

59 minutes ago, karkaore said:

Lying is relative.

Or, is the relative a lie?

Edited by Truth Addict