Dwarniel

Actualized.org = Skeleton key

25 posts in this topic

I just watched Leos vlog about why his videos are so long, he talks about the trade off in specialization, and Actualized.org content being the skeleton key (insert TES thieves guild reference here).

I had a cool insight because of that. My whole life I've been an artist, I didn't do anything besides drawing and painting from a very young age. After I grew older I kind of lost interest in it, I haven't made anything in... 6 years now? I haven't even touched a pencil. I sat down to draw, out of curiosity, some time ago - Just to see if I had lost it. I was prepared to experience a skill decrease, but to my huge suprise my technique had progressed  immensely - Without doing any practise at all. I was mind blown by how this was possible. Drawing is so dependent on technique, muscle memory, a sharp eye, stuff that needs continuous practise - But I slowly began to connect the dots.

During my time off, I had studied human anatomy because I wanted to become a chiropractor for a while. I had also begun to work out and explored/befriended my own body by moving it (I've never been a fitness person, more of a computer nerd). I had studied human psychology, architecture, learned 3D modeling, dived deep into spirituality, self actualization, philosophy.. And I concluded that by progressing in all of these fields, it added to my artistic skills as well. 

I had never thought of this as a possibilty at all, that you actually can progress in one field (especially a field like drawing) by developing your skill in other fields - But ofc it makes perfect sense, everything is connected. 

I don't know why I'm posting this... Just wanted to share my insight, I got excited :$

Edited by Dwarniel

...But what if the opposite is true?

15 minutes ago, Dwarniel said:

Drawing is so dependent on technique, muscle memory, a sharp eye, stuff that needs continuous practise - But I slowly began to connect the dots.

I'm not trying to bash on you, but like many people you've probably learned drawing unconsciously through brut practice, as these things are not nearly fundamentals of drawing (not saying these are useless tho). Drawing is about mental models. It's "seeing" and interpreting real-world from certain perspectives that can be put down on a piece of paper (a piece of paper has its limits). Chances are, you learned a ton of good mental models that are applicable in drawing from your 3D and architecture studies. What we usually call "drawing" skills is basically being able to project depth on a paper and make it look "3D" or so-called, "realistic", it directly comes from 3D and architecture skills. Same with your chiropractor studies. You learned scientific models of a human body and you probably also learned yogic practices from spirituality or things like Vipassana which contributed a lot. And you also became braver with cross trying stuff and noticing new connections, as well as brave enough to try stuff on your own from spirituality and self-development material.
It's all explainable. Feeling great for you tho :)

11 minutes ago, Hello from Russia said:

I'm not trying to bash on you, but like many people you've probably learned drawing unconsciously through brut practice, as these things are not nearly fundamentals of drawing (not saying these are useless tho). Drawing is about mental models. It's "seeing" and interpreting real-world from certain perspectives that can be put down on a piece of paper (a piece of paper has its limits). Chances are, you learned a ton of good mental models that are applicable in drawing from your 3D and architecture studies. What we usually call "drawing" skills is basically being able to project depth on a paper and make it look "3D" or so-called, "realistic", it directly comes from 3D and architecture skills. Same with your chiropractor studies. You learned scientific models of a human body and you probably also learned yogic practices from spirituality or things like Vipassana which contributed a lot. And you also became braver with cross trying stuff and noticing new connections, as well as brave enough to try stuff on your own from spirituality and self-development material.
It's all explainable. Feeling great for you tho :)

I don't see how this is bashing at aaall haha, I appreciate your comment a lot. Thanks for feeling great for me. ^_^ This is kinda what I was trying to say. I learned drawing through brut practise, but I also went to school for it from a young age where I learned classical drawing from an old italian oil painter. I had to do a lot of boring exercises haha. Do you draw? You sound very knowledgeable

Edited by Dwarniel

I do graphic design for my current LP and recently decided to learn drawing because it is very beneficial here. I feel like my skill grows exponentially.  Gains are very fast when you focus on fundamentals :)

Edited by Hello from Russia

14 minutes ago, Hello from Russia said:

I do graphic design for my current LP and recently decided to learn drawing because it is very beneficial here. I feel like my skill grows exponentially.  Gains are very fast when you focus on fundamentals :)

Aah cool, so you're a musician? I do graphic design as well, it's so fun to realize how everything interconnects

4 minutes ago, Dwarniel said:

Aah cool, so you're a musician? I do graphic design as well, it's so fun to realize how everything interconnects

No, I am a graphic designer :) , I do visual identity, web design and stuff. Everything interconnects, indeed

Edited by Hello from Russia

Amazing! Your abilities are like extensions or branches of yourself. You can nurture each one, but when you get the root of where it stems its like a chain reaction affecting dozens of branches connected. 

Just now, Hello from Russia said:

No, I am a graphic designer :) . Everything interconnects, indeed

Oh i thought you meant LP as in LP cover hahha, my bad...

2 minutes ago, Shadowraix said:

Amazing! Your abilities are like extensions or branches of yourself. You can nurture each one, but when you get the root of where it stems its like a chain reaction affecting dozens of branches connected. 

Exactly ?

22 minutes ago, Aeris said:

I improved in music by drawing more 

That's so cool

I came here clickbaited by TES reference....read an inspiring story of a young artist....was not disappointed. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

That's very exciting! It reminds of the inspiring idea and model of the Renaissance man/woman.

I'm curious though: what was your approach to learning all that stuff? I imagine you were always driven by interest and curiosity, but did you go about it as a "dabbler" (jumping from one ability/field to another and coming back to it multiple times) or by immersing yourself and focusing on one field at a time until your interest waned/was fulfilled and your skills developed? I'm just trying to understand how an artist's mind works here xD

Its all interlinked, mirrors on top of mirrors :P
You see a pattern in one field and you unconsciously apply it in another.

This is precisely why wise gurus tell jokes or stories to describe something that seems unrelated. By revealing in which way things are the same.

That is how a story about the apple and the tree can tell a story about a businessman and his work.
That is how by painting you become better at playing music.

Edited by Yog

16 hours ago, Michael569 said:

I came here clickbaited by TES reference....read an inspiring story of a young artist....was not disappointed. 

all hail nocturnal

16 hours ago, Waves said:

That's very exciting! It reminds of the inspiring idea and model of the Renaissance man/woman.

I'm curious though: what was your approach to learning all that stuff? I imagine you were always driven by interest and curiosity, but did you go about it as a "dabbler" (jumping from one ability/field to another and coming back to it multiple times) or by immersing yourself and focusing on one field at a time until your interest waned/was fulfilled and your skills developed? I'm just trying to understand how an artist's mind works here xD

I don't enjoy hyper focusing on just one thing over long periods of time. I still practice all of the stuff i mentioned, with an exception for anatomy (I found out being a chiropractor wasn't for me). It's my hobbies. ^_^ I work with architecture and 3D now, and on my spare time I love working out, reading psychology, philosophy, practicing spirituality etc. I don't do it just to "arrive somewhere", more because I enjoy it and because it's fun and fulfilling. It's the self actualization process really

14 hours ago, Yog said:

Its all interlinked, mirrors on top of mirrors :P
You see a pattern in one field and you unconsciously apply it in another.

This is precisely why wise gurus tell jokes or stories to describe something that seems unrelated. By revealing in which way things are the same.

That is how a story about the apple and the tree can tell a story about a businessman and his work.
That is how by painting you become better at playing music.

You're right xD

Edited by Dwarniel

I wish to learn 3D modeling, would you advice me to start with .. ?

but I m trying to be good at drawing right now, but I m sure 3D model is on the path.

I'll explain what clicked for me more in details.

For instance, when I was drawing I became very aware of the fact of "ratio" + proportion are relative to each others and they play a huge role, trait become "object" always as an illusion of the mind. ( I was aware at a degree of everything, but after many years I didn't perceive it with my current progress in life ) Everything is understood to a degree/scale, it's just increase at each experience

what I perceive right now and existing at a distance from my eyes play a huge role in how I perceive proportion and what feel right in the context of the drawing ( close or not )

and there is aswell the "whole process" how do I go about the whole process.

like when I m drawing a character, which lines are the best to go for, and any types of techniques, and what should I aim to master about it. Everything is a shade on a shade so I should master clarity vs darkness.

and all thoses ideas could be apply to photoshop/ electronic music.

I modulated a bit my process for mixing music because drawing added a layer on the top of the idea.

and weirdly I aim to be good at music, but I think that I'll end better at drawing in 10 years for whatever reason. ( little cousin and grandfather ( was ) legit painting artist ) So if DNA has any relevance, I m 100% sure to end good at drawing.

I m still working on visualisation in music ( doing the music in my head )

Edited by Aeris

@Aeris 3d modeling has a lot more complexity in the tooling. It would benefit you just to jump into 3d modeling itself. Blender just got a huge update which improved usability in the UI so it's a great time to start learning how to use it. Start with box modeling and move up. 

My mathematical skills increased drastically with awakening. It's a mindfuck.

Isolated skills are very very very unlikely.

unborn Truth

@ajasatya How about your fucking skills? ;)

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

5 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

@ajasatya How about your fucking skills? ;)

Those scaled even faster :)

unborn Truth