Marks199

The Amazon a threat to our future

72 posts in this topic

31 minutes ago, Yog said:

He has beef with all forms of half-assed / half-story activism.

He should look in the mirror then.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

35 minutes ago, Serotoninluv said:

I agree that JP often derails threads.

It derails because people focus on his character instead of the content of his utterances.
It is not easy for everyone to listen to Klingons.

What brought me there was the "Brazilian Trump" situation.

How do we get the world to care about environmental issues.
How do we get more conscious people to elect more conscious governments that will actually talk to each other, care about it and make global environment improvements. Not US, not Bernie. Globally.

His point was:
Get people out of poverty as fast as we can, because we can. We have ways to act globally in that domain.
Get them up to a level that it has shown people will start to care about environment, which is possible.
Which in turn will make them form and elect governments that will care.
Which in turn will make governments talk to each-other and implement these solutions globally.
There will be ofc some environmental damage done in the process, its a trade off.

Right now we can line them solar panels all over US and Europe. Get ourselves set lets say.
But India and China will do x10 the damage in the meantime.

Edited by Yog

What we really need long-term is a new transformative technology that will either: 1) remove carbon from the atmosphere, and/or, 2) block sunlight from reaching the Earth in the first place.

I envision a sort of giant thin film set up in space which simply blocks sunlight from reaching the planet like sun glasses. With such a technology we would not only eliminate global warming forever but we could actively regulate the temperate on the planet to maximize consciousness.

But something like this needs to be funded by big government research.

It's quite obvious that advanced civilizations learn to regulate the climate on their planet.

As a species it's like we're living in the age before air conditioning.

Imagine being able to selectively regulate the sunlight in desert regions like the Sahara or the Gobi, making it lush and livable!

We could even install a UV filter so people don't get sunburned.

@Yog Look at his underlying orientation. It is a defeatest attitude with an intention of undercutting efforts to reduce global warming/climate change.

Here are the points he made. All but one undercut efforts.

1. We cannot unite regarding catastrophic climate change.

2. It is difficult to separate science and politics (we should actually be integrating science and politics and have the two fields communicating)

3. “Radical Claims, if true. . . (“Radical Claims” is a long used trope to undercut efforts toward a goal and has been used for decades to delegitimize and hinder climate progress).

4. We have no idea of consequences (we actually have a very good idea. Predictive models have been quite accurate).

5. We can’t unite on this 

6. Climate change projections are unreliable (not true. JP then focuses on 50 yr forecasts to leverage his position)

7. We can’t measure effectiveness (not true)

8. Wind and solar are essentially useless (not tru)

9. Germany has failed with their efforts, so why should we bother.

10. Nuclear is not a solution.

11. Cutting back on consumption won’t work.

12. There are no no solutions for global warming.

13. The best we can do is bring people out of poverty and get them to care about the environment (yet he made clear this is not a solution, because there are no solutions)

14. It is not possible to prioritize climate change or implement initiatives for climate change

15. A team of economists led by Nobel Prize winners to determine how to improve the world didn’t even list climate change as being important.

16. We can’t figure it out. Maybe a future generation will find a solution, but we can’t

17. Global warming is just a feel good issue for some people (and who might “some people” be?)

18. Good luck reducing global warming. Our resolution of thinking is too low.

19. Burning coal has helped forests grow over the last 100 years in the U.S.

20. No one will change their lifestyle to help improve climate.

These are the 20 points JP makes. Here is clearly oriented toward undercutting efforts. 19 of his 20 points are defeatist and undercutting. Only one point could be interpreted as supportive, yet he also undercut this point into a neutral point.

This is the new resistance to climate progress. JP is a contemporary poster boy for corporations and fossil fuel industry trying to undercut climate progress. Full on climate change denial and obscuration is losing effectiveness. We are transitioning away from 20 years of Koch-funded “debate” on whether global warming/climate change is real and influenced by humans. We are transitioning into the next stage in which the resistance will acknowledge climate change, then resist with defeatest and undercutting efforts. JP gives a blueprint on how to do this in the posted video. 

And this isn’t simply JP spouting off. This plants seeds. Notice the applause and admiration the young crowd gives JP. They are getting conditioned by him. There have been studies with small groups of people that are assigned a challenging project. One person in the group pretended to be a team member, yet was actually hired to intentionally express defeatism and to undercut efforts - similar to JP in that video. This contaminated the entire group and their progress was much less than control groups. It’s a type of poison.

You only need to block like 1% of the sun. It wouldn't be big deal.

Tis better than 20 ft of sea level rise.

This video is pretty interesting, especially regarding carbon dioxide levels in the atmosphere. Life on Earth amazingly adaptive.

Also, this documentary on Chernobyl is also pretty amazing, especially how life flourished in a radioactive zone, just because of the absence of humans. Nature is one tough son of a bitch ?

18 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

What we really need long-term is a new transformative technology that will either: 1) remove carbon from the atmosphere, and/or, 2) block sunlight from reaching the Earth in the first place.

I envision a sort of giant thin film set up in space which simply blocks sunlight from reaching the planet like sun glasses. With such a technology we would not only eliminate global warming forever but we could actively regulate the temperate on the planet to maximize consciousness.

It's quite obvious that advanced civilizations learn to regulate the climate on their planet.

Imagine being able to selectively regulate the sunlight in desert regions like the Sahara or the Gobi, making it lush and livable!

That would have to float in space? Where did you get this idea from? Walsch?

4 hours ago, AlwaysBeNice said:

That would have to float in space? Where did you get this idea from? Walsch?

Yeah, in space.

Just spit-balling. Someone's gotta think up new technologies.

On 29/08/2019 at 3:04 AM, Leo Gura said:

Yang proposing some similar ideas: https://www.theverge.com/2019/8/26/20833928/andrew-yang-climate-change-nuclear-carbon-capture-geoengineering-2020-elections

"Find what you love and let it kill you." - Charles Bukowski

On 8/27/2019 at 0:30 AM, MsNobody said:

@Marks199 Im Brazilian and all I can do is cry cause I’m a sensitive bitch, I’ve been feeling so much pain in my heart, but this week I started to channel the energy and focus on my life purpose, I’ve been sharing videos with friends and had donated for amazon ONGs and tribes, and still I feel hopeless. 

You cry because you're sensitive, I cry because I think "eu sou Jair Bolsonaro filho da  puta eu sou o presidente numero um do brasil, eu vou quemar o Amazonas" I am a devil and have OCD look what I think I cry because of that. But step by step I think I am purifying with these cryings. My family is Colombian and support Alvaro Uribe you really don't know whom to trust. :(

@MsNobody The only thing you can do as a person is: 1.) To elevate your own consciousness 2.) Be an example for others 3.) Contribute with your life purpose 4.) Vote. And by the way, it's not only Brazilian ignorance Croatia has it too in Colombia you don't study religion in Croatia you do and Croatians say:" we have the best education in the world we are the land of knowledge" meanwhile Singapore has the best education. So it's not up to the country it's up to you although your country you live is what your education depends.