Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rasheed

Reading for Significant Impact

4 posts in this topic

How long to read per day, to create a significant impact?

Digital Minimalism: A philosophy of technology use in which you focus your online time on a small number of carefully selected and optimized activities that strongly support things you value, and then happily miss out on everything else.” - Cal Newport

18 hours ago, John Lula said:

@Rasheed 2-3 hours. About 72.5 pages a day, which is 500 a week. 5000 in ten weeks. 26 000 in a year. If one book is 200 pages that equals 130 books a year. 130 quality books on lots of different, but relevant subjects (based on whatever value systems you have). That is probably going to change how you view the world.

What do you mean with impact?

By significant impact I meant, to actually meant a real impactful growth...

What's better: 2 hours of reading vs. 1 hour of reading + 1 hour of actively watching and taking notes on personal development videos? 

Should I leave personal development videos and only focus on books, or both is better? What's your opinion that?

Digital Minimalism: A philosophy of technology use in which you focus your online time on a small number of carefully selected and optimized activities that strongly support things you value, and then happily miss out on everything else.” - Cal Newport

I don’t look at the hours i read rather i look at the number of pages i read because if i read a specific amount of pages per day I can know with confidence that I will finish a book each week. For example to get the number of pages i read each day to read a book a week is to divide the total pages with 7 and then i just have to read that amount of pages each day to read a book a week.

7 minutes ago, John Lula said:

@Rasheed Both are really good. But if you are reading a lot of relevant inoformation and highlight that, you probably don't need to take notes on most videos. I only take notes if there's like a food recipe or specific kind of technique talked about (shamanic breathing). Which is rare. I remember I would take a crazy amount of notes, but it's mostly a waste of time. Reflecting over the content can be beneficial.

Thanks. I like to take notes videos because after I am done, I review those notes again couple times, and it helps me to apply information more efficiently.

52 minutes ago, BjarkeT said:

I don’t look at the hours i read rather i look at the number of pages i read because if i read a specific amount of pages per day I can know with confidence that I will finish a book each week. For example to get the number of pages i read each day to read a book a week is to divide the total pages with 7 and then i just have to read that amount of pages each day to read a book a week.

Thank you. I will try that. Great idea.