Xochiquetzal

Music as a tool for reaching a flow state while working

3 posts in this topic

I am working in a small farm with lots of rather long a physical work to do and I noticed something quite peculiar with music . Some days, I just feel really tired bored and discouraged to work in the fields, my monkey mind is full of bullshit and I can hardly concentrate on my work . But I find out that playing music while working really calmed down my mind and I could enter an almost meditative state while I am working, my mind being focused on the sound and the work . I no longer feel bored nor do I notice how much time I spend and I manage to work faster and with joy and gratitude. 

I really feel like music can be used as a tool to reach a mindful and enjoy the moment as it is instead of judging it as « hard » since it is physical and boring work . I also remember that black slaves in the US used to sing some kind of blues or gospel in the fields. Am I the only one to find such a value in music ? The kind of music that really puts me in that mindset are mostly Dub, Ambiant or Goa Trancr, if you are curious I strongly invite you to discover artists such as « Carbon Based Lifeforms », « Zen Baboon » or « Khetzal » . I also feel like that music somewhat has a positive effect on the plants that I grow . 

Too bad that my boss and co-workers don’t really like those musics and most of times I cannot really play it when I’m not working alone haha .

Maybe I should also write a little bit about what it’s like to work in a small organic farm on this forum if you guys are interested about it because I feel like it a very good thing especially for people like us who are curious about the true nature of life and spiritual actualisation . 

Peace out 

Interesting, I found in my experience that music is lowering my productivity when I do creative and intellectual type of work

Edited by Hello from Russia

I find it really depends on the style of music and what you are doing. I love listening to really fast paced albums when I am training for fights. Sometimes when reading or wanting to reflect I listen to very slow ambient music with no lyrics. I also find it is really hard to focus if it is the first few times I listen to an album as I want to absorb it and experience it fully. I do like working in silence, but I live with two little ones who can get quite loud so music is a great tool for me. 

The how is what you build, the why is in your heart.