Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
possibilities

What are the real costs of objectivity?

6 posts in this topic

Just opening up discussion based on Leo's latest video on self bias, to me it would be great to hear of other peoples ideas.

I've come up with a few but would be interested to hear other peoples, I recommend composing a list.

For example:

1. No more subjectivity (at least from one perspective): I work to see myself from the perspective of just viewing myself as another person as opposed to my own self bias and then making evaluations and decisions from there based on what I know about this person (myself).

- How I handle any potential feelings of dissonance is just a simple raising of awareness
- This means there's no room for me anymore to rationalise positions, I do what I see I have to more than I do what I'm feeling in the moment

* its a new habit I'll exercise more overtime

2. Nothing about myself is off limits in terms of being questioned
- if I have no subjectivity, then I cannot allow any aspect of own actions and results to go unscritinised in terms of how they can say be better

The pattern I notice with respect to subjectivity is that it does an awfully good job at trying to hide evaluation of its various standards and processes, striving for the highest objectivity (something I'll get better at overtime) forces me to evaluate the positive just as well as I do the negative. In the positive, subjectivity will work to give greater praise than what is there, in the negative, subjectivity will work to be more negative than necessary, avoid the negative or have that be a reason for why x is not valuable.

What are your ideas? I've just started composing my list and hope to improve it overtime.

Do you think some of my ideas need work? Do you have any suggestions if that's the case?

Thank you.

Just an idea I was thinking of that would be good to get feedback on:

3. Axiomatically you have to be completely and absolutely obsessed
- this means the process you go through and derive reasons from as a part of your justification for various actions you take has to be reasoned to your utmost capacity

3A. One of those axioms I'd argue would be an incredible obsession with self actualisation, especially one core aspect therein:
- raising your consciousness (and again, utterly obsessed in trying to do so to the best of your ability)

From my perspective, these seem like "absolute yes's" but maybe its at least partly related to personality disposition, there's a bias there I gotta recognise, so in saying that I'd contextualise these two/three insights based on the profile of the person and their environment.

I'll leave that there though as I'd like to hear other peoples ideas.

Edited by possibilities

Just had an epiphany - thinking axiomatically, is to think in the exact way God would have thought to bring about this reality the way it is (self consistency --> as self consistency is to axiomatic consistency). If the idea of God is real to me it seems like this is how God would have been able to create everything that he (for lack of a better word), that is, from an axiomatically self consistent framework - thus to me, this is how I must work to think from now on with respect to my actions, this is how God would have wanted it I believe, to be his highest reflection in this way. Its why you could argue logic works, logic only works because it works axiomatically and things work axiomatically because this structure is consistent with how reality itself came to be otherwise we'd be talking about how some other kind of structure through some other kind of means presently unimaginable to us is reflective of reality in lieu of us being a reflection of reality and being able to use that structure in reality with more success than any other structure we can conceive of.

Anyhow, again feel free to post your ideas for a discussion to emerge.

Edited by possibilities

I would say balance is yet another important factor in growth. And I don't mean that you should apply balance. I mean it will apply you! ?

Good stuff by the way. Thanks for sharing.

That's a funny thing about balance.

Objectivity would actually be a reflection of balance, this is obvious when we look at imbalance and how it becomes increasingly more difficult to be objective in these situations.

So to be objective, seek balance and to be balanced, seek objectivity.

On 23/08/2019 at 8:07 AM, possibilities said:

Objectivity would actually be a reflection of balance.

BUT, according to that premise, unless you're already balanced, you can't be objective, so?