Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Meretagh

College just to make money - outside my life purpose

3 posts in this topic

Hi,

I'm going to attend college with the subject programming. I'm sure I'll find it interesting, but it's completely unrelated to my Life Purpose - visual art. Maybe there are degrees more related to my LP, like graphics, but I'm afraid with that I'll be making very little money and won't ever be able to move into my LP fully. I want to do it because it gets a lot of money, at least in my country, and I'll be able to save up and focus on my LP. But I have a terrible feeling on the inside about the idea. Do you have any thoughts or advice?

Thanks a lot

Hello,

Path towards your purpose do not have to be linear, somtimes it's better to do other activity which is not your passion just to make room in life to do what you actually want. It won't be a good choise to do your visual art and struggle to pay your bills.

I used to work as a programmer in 2 start-ups and in 1 medium sized company. I have done some interviews for new programmers. No one cares whether you have a degree or not. Having a Github account with interesting projects that show off your coding skills is far superior than any degree from whatever college. And if your going to freelance, then the same applies. Customers don't give a fuck whether you have a degree or not. They want to see a proven track record of projects / well written software.

So if you just want money, don't go to college. You'll waste years and get into debt, if your from the U.S. Learn it from Google and by writing interesting projects yourself. You'll save years. The problem is whether you are disciplined enough to self learn.