ethanb121

Why are SSRI meds bad for you

17 posts in this topic

I hear people say this alot for me it seems they make me just always feel normal id like to hear what others have to say

I personally take an SSRI. I don’t doubt that it does help me stay functional, that is, I am able to go out there and do what I need to do. It’s not a panacea, and there are probably long term consequences for taking them for a long time for most people. However, not being on them at this stage of my life is worse for me, as I fall deep into old bad habits.

My ultimate goal is to not depend on them. The choices I make now will dictate how long that process will take, but there’s no rush for me to get off them.

You have to be honest with yourself and ask why you’re taking them. Other people will say what they have to say, but realize that majority of them have never had to deal with a mental health disorder. 

@AlldayLoop is spot on.  For someone with a mental disorder they will alter consciousness levels.  They can relieve the blockages that these disorders can cause.

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

im going off then atm to do more psychedelics mainly and because people say they are bad nore do i feel like i need them anymore

@ethanb121 cool if you don't need them great but don't do it because others say its bad do it for yourself.  

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

@ethanb121 Your best bet on an SSRI is a slow taper if you have been on them for a while and if your dose is high. Please be smart about this. 

@mods this should probably be moved to the appropriate section of the forum

@AlldayLoop totally.  Hopefully he knows this being on them already he should have been advised this by a therapist.

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

30 minutes ago, ethanb121 said:

it seems they make me just always feel normal.
nor do i feel like i need them anymore

Feeling normal is the desired effect one wants. It's helping to manage a neurotransmitter imbalance that was out of balance. Feeling like you don't need them anymore is the result of feeling normal,and going off of them,especially "cold turkey" is a bad idea. I would seek legit advice from the  physician or prescriber before going off of them. You will need to taper off of them over at least few weeks. The likelihood of returning symptoms, for which you were prescribed the medication are most likely to return without other means of management. The med manages the symptoms, but  isn't a cure. They work only while you take them. So don't rush into the decision of quitting on your own, And do not listen to "armchair experts" about what is good or bad for you. They likely need a little help themselves. xD

Edited by Guru Fat Bastard

Stop this shit. Better smoke weed ( saved my month of withdrawal )

Did ritalin 3 years ago for 1,5y.

was doing 70mg a day.

My best tool was weed. I wanted a 'free' replacement ( weed : 15€ per day : ssri are 100% free in France : but very limited and hard too get. No adderall or others. )

So as I wanted to work hard and focus but not stop being on drug cause I don't worked enough to my view ( very orange minded )

My experience is that they makes me feel 'belly toxic' and in the end crash was too intense ( nose clogged ) couldn't sleep without an half sleep pill.

It wasn't a smart move

Edited by Aeris

20 minutes ago, Esoteric said:

@Aeris For how long have you smoked weed daily? Do you take periods off from weed?

5 years. Yes I do. I didn't smoked any from october to april. But I was absolutely non productive at an artistic level.

Weed now is the same. I would smoke only at noon and work on other thing the day. My life is very modulated for 'me'. 

I worked hard through this addiction but now I don't abuse it and would use it like a drink at noon then go for some series or music production ( 90% it ends doing music )

This week wasn't at home. I smoked one every 3 days.

The secret is not being toxic about doing substances. ( Took me years of work - )

I know a Friend who worked in restaurant while being high all the time and he was very efficient. All my best friends are musicians and adhd.

I would bet on one or two high quality coffee if really I needed 'focus'  or physical work. ( And don't do any when not at 'work' )

+ meditation and daily sport. + Curing self story neurosis and false goal identity belief through self inquiry and reading books about others people lifestyle.

Edited by Aeris

11 hours ago, Aeris said:

Stop this shit. Better smoke weed ( saved my month of withdrawal )

Did ritalin 3 years ago for 1,5y.

was doing 70mg a day.

My best tool was weed. I wanted a 'free' replacement ( weed : 15€ per day : ssri are 100% free in France : but very limited and hard too get. No adderall or others. )

So as I wanted to work hard and focus but not stop being on drug cause I don't worked enough to my view ( very orange minded )

My experience is that they makes me feel 'belly toxic' and in the end crash was too intense ( nose clogged ) couldn't sleep without an half sleep pill.

It wasn't a smart move

For many with anxiety disorders weed will trigger panic attacks.   That is also why pyschedelics isn't for everyone.

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

16 hours ago, ethanb121 said:

I hear people say this alot for me it seems they make me just always feel normal id like to hear what others have to say

NOW you'r saying its bad? You should say it 10 years ago ?

Edited by Nivsch

🌻 Stage Yellow emerges when Green starts to have tolerance and respect to the variety of views within HIMSELF. Israelis here? Let me know!

13 hours ago, Aeris said:

5 years. Yes I do. I didn't smoked any from october to april. But I was absolutely non productive at an artistic level.

Weed now is the same. I would smoke only at noon and work on other thing the day. My life is very modulated for 'me'. 

I worked hard through this addiction but now I don't abuse it and would use it like a drink at noon then go for some series or music production ( 90% it ends doing music )

This week wasn't at home. I smoked one every 3 days.

The secret is not being toxic about doing substances. ( Took me years of work - )

I know a Friend who worked in restaurant while being high all the time and he was very efficient. All my best friends are musicians and adhd.

I would bet on one or two high quality coffee if really I needed 'focus'  or physical work. ( And don't do any when not at 'work' )

+ meditation and daily sport. + Curing self story neurosis and false goal identity belief through self inquiry and reading books about others people lifestyle.

@Aeris Alright. Was just curious. I have self-medicated on weed for about a decade myself. It is very likely I have adhd, and I myself play music, lol. Funny how many correlations there are between adhd, creativity, self-medication and weed. I have not smoked for over a month now, but unlike you, I get very hooked. I end up smoking all day. 

i exercise meditate and eat better / smoke weed and dabble with psychedelics and have changed my mindset on alot of things

15 hours ago, Inliytened1 said:

@mods this should probably be moved to the appropriate section of the forum

@AlldayLoop totally.  Hopefully he knows this being on them already he should have been advised this by a therapist.

ive quit xanax cold turkey cigs and mutiple stimulants and anti depressant withdrawl is the worst now leaning off of them isnt that bad though just takes time i already tried to do cold turkey and lasted 6 days

2 hours ago, Inliytened1 said:

For many with anxiety disorders weed will trigger panic attacks.   That is also why pyschedelics isn't for everyone.

I live in New Jersey; weed is only legal for medicinal use. Ironically, weed was legalized in NJ specifically for anxiety disorders just a year and a half ago.

What I’ve discovered is that high THC strains are notorious for triggering panic attacks and bringing out psychosis. Actually, my theory is that the psychosis has always been in the person, but they learned how to suppress it from years of unconscious habits (i.e. human survival). Weed just brings it to light at full force; thus the panic attack. I see this as a good thing because you actually see the severity and consequence of suppressing those deep psychological issues.

There is a way to not trigger severe panic attacks on weed. Obviously, you have to have an experimental mindset because weed is so complex and there are an endless selection of strains. I’d advice to start slow and find the strain that seems to work for you; I’ve been able to experience deep insights about myself without going crazy (but I’ve also had crazy experiences, and those have been helpful as well... definitely don’t recommend that for newbies). 

They even have a strain called ACDC that is high CBD and only little amount of THC (ratio is about 10:1). You can try a 50/50 mix of ACDC with a high THC strain, and that could negate the trigger of panic attacks.

Here’s a overview of CBD from Examine.com that you guys could read here. This is a quote from the website how about how CBD works:

”There's a big catch though! CBD often seems to work better with THC (basically, in the typically consumed or inhaled form of medical cannabis, rather than as isolated CBD). This is often referred to as the "entourage effect" – that a single ingredient might, maybe do a little something, but you need the whole crew of compounds in the plant to have full efficacy. The problem here is that the whole crew can make you high, which is not typically desired in continuously-taken medications, and may even increase the risk of psychosis with longer term use.”