Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
herghly

Advice for people working from home?

10 posts in this topic

I find it difficult to be productive at home. Usually, when I don't need to go to the office I end up going to a cafe to do work instead of doing it from home.

What are some good ways to create an office space or habits to do work from home? 

The problem could be I don't have much room in my apartment.

2 hours ago, herghly said:

This is not the problem.

Its more of a habit. You are used to be productive at the office or at the cafe, you are not used to being productive at home.

In your room you might usually want to sleep or get some entertainment. Instead, put on some music that lets you concentrate and start to dig away.

On 18.08.2019 at 8:04 AM, herghly said:

I find it difficult to be productive at home. Usually, when I don't need to go to the office I end up going to a cafe to do work instead of doing it from home.

What are some good ways to create an office space or habits to do work from home? 

Planning is helpful! Try making schedules and setting goals for the day - visual plan really helps!

Also, I find inspiration for my work watchin Renee Amberg on youtube, she has lots of routine and being productive and positive videos!

Advanced issues found

On 18/08/2019 at 3:04 AM, herghly said:

In the best case, you reserve a separate room (work room) in which you only work and do nothing else (no TV, no eating, ...). Like @universe said, it is all about habits and additionally about your environment. At work I have perfect working habits. But at home I am struggling to work in the room I am sleeping (unfortunately no dedicated office room available). That is why when working from home I rather sit at the kitchen table.

I deal with this problem regularly.

My two cents:

• Clear your desk of everything, EVERYTHING that you don't need for the task at hand.
  • Close all tabs and windows on computer that you are not using. When looking something up, close immediately after.
  • Timebox. Set an alarm. Make a deal with yourself that you won't get up from your seat until the time is up. Only exceptions are pee breaks and getting tea or something.
  • Only eat things that you can eat while working, like fruit.
  • Get noise cancelling headphones
  • Play binaural beats for concentration, or thunder storm noises!
  • Turn phone off. Yes, completely off and put it in another room.

Learn to resolve trauma. Together.

Testimonials thread: www.actualized.org/forum/topic/82672-experience-collection-childhood-aware-life-purpose-coaching/

One thing I do is have a time sheet that I “clock in to.”  Even if you are your own boss, you have to still act like you are an employee reporting to somebody, and a time sheet you keep on yourself can keep you accountable to yourself. I’ve been using Excel spreadsheet.  I’ve been trying to figure out how to switch to Trello.

General tips:

Set a bedtime, wakeup time and “shutdown” time for work projects. For me personally, it helps me set boundaries with work and with myself. I do have one exception to this: if I feel the urge to write fiction or one of my own blog posts before bed, I do it. But I almost never do client work after 8 PM.
Go outside at least once a day. Because I don’t have to, I have had periods of time (especially in winter) when I didn’t go outside once. After the second day of staying in, my mood tanks.
Take specific days of the week off. Again, boundaries.
Use pomodoro timers to help you stay on track and enforce breaks.
Do meal prep. I know it sounds silly, but when you’re in the middle of a project, taking time to prepare a full breakfast or lunch can interrupt the flow. I often do partial prep. I’ll cut up some fruit and sautee some vegetables. That way I can throw the veggies into scrambled eggs in just a couple of minutes.
Make a manageable to-do list.
Schedule plans in the afternoon/evening. Work will expand to fill the time you have. Creating a definite endpoint will help you be more productive.
Get an accountability buddy. There are tons of freelance groups, and having someone to make sure you reach your goals could be just the push you need. My accountability buddy is a lifesaver!
Change your environment. I go to the coffee shop or library once or twice a week.
Hope that helps! Remember, everyone is different, so try a few techniques and see what works best for you.

I'm going to move my stuff around and only have my computer in my work area and going to work on surrounding the whole room with my passions. Posters quotes and anything relivent. Making it a daily habbit is the crux though.

I have found building up discipline in multiple places in my life really help with this. I would recommend cutting out whatever is distracting you and eating up your time. I would try to document all of your time usage for a week and see where it all goes. I know even with myself I could use some improvement, but I am pretty on top of it and can get done in a few days what would take weeks before.