Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Giulio Bevilacqua

What do you do if Enlightenment is your purpose ?

8 posts in this topic

I think I got my life purpose. 

I'm living for spirituality. I can not get any other purpose. 

There are some things but the spiritual one is always the most preponderant one . How can one move in life following this way ? Yoga ? Monk ? 

What are your ideas  ? 

What do you think enlightenment is and why do you want to become enlightened ?
I think it`s not helpful for spiritual seekers to set enlightenment as a purpose. I Used to set this goal for myself, especially after reaching temporary states/glimpses of what I think enlightenment might be like (total detachment from the ego/body/mind and thus it`s suffering) but I noticed that by trying to reach this goal, I was only feeding the ego and thus stunning my spiritual growth.

The only reason I wanted enlightenment, is because I thought it would relieve my suffering and make "me" permanently blissful". Of course I was telling myself otherwise.

Now that I re-arranged my goal to becoming a whole human being that is less identified with it`s ego-structures, is willing to face it`s fears and insecurities and is willing to break down all it`s ideas about life and existence; my "spiritual path" feels less frustrating and less stuck. If universal consciousness decides to manifest itself as an "enlightend being" tomorrow, next week, next year or over the next decades trough "my" entity, thats fine. But if it doesn`t happen, thats`s fine too. I`m not the one to decide.

And if you want to grow spiritually, you dont need to become a monk. Daily life with it`s common triggers is a perfect breeding ground for spiritual growth. 

Edited by DaneV

@Giulio Bevilacqua Live your life the way You do. No need to become full fledged monk. 

Do practises, meditate every single Day do not skip it. Meditate with intention to become Truth. 

Observe your mind and It's interpretations and judgements like a hawk do not fall for them. Be lucid and in love with your life. 

Trust yourself and love yourself. 

Meditate. Inquire. Contemplate. Do Psychs. Learn Epistemology. Go on Retreats. Basically do everything you can to align with your goal. Be careful not to create a false identity though. 

Dont look at me! Look inside!

@Giulio Bevilacqua Work on sustaining yourself so you can work towards enlightenment all of your free time. There are a lot of ways this can be done. You can do it by working on being financially secured. You can do it by working on being concious and do practices all the time, even in hectic environments. You can become a monk. Volunteer at ashrams etc etc. The list goes on. But listen to what YOU want to do. It is your decision, don't get influenced by people telling "you don't have to do this, you don't have to do that". What they think is a bad way of going about stuff might be an optimal way for you.

5 hours ago, Esoteric said:

@Giulio Bevilacqua Work on sustaining yourself so you can work towards enlightenment all of your free time. There are a lot of ways this can be done. You can do it by working on being financially secured. You can do it by working on being concious and do practices all the time, even in hectic environments. You can become a monk. Volunteer at ashrams etc etc. The list goes on. But listen to what YOU want to do. It is your decision, don't get influenced by people telling "you don't have to do this, you don't have to do that". What they think is a bad way of going about stuff might be an optimal way for you.

Thank you very much . Really helpful

On 17/08/2019 at 7:34 PM, Giulio Bevilacqua said:

I think I got my life purpose. 

I'm living for spirituality. I can not get any other purpose. 

There are some things but the spiritual one is always the most preponderant one . How can one move in life following this way ? Yoga ? Monk ? 

What are your ideas  ? 

Become a modern ascetic. Get a part time job, and a small apartment, and live your life meditating. You’ll probably earn enough to live by yourself. 

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie