Scholar

Self Bias - Who to save, the ant or the human?

45 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Let's use that same logic when your mother gets killed.

Do you see how your logic falls apart as soon as the tables are turned?

I cried feverishly when my cat (that I only had for 5 months died). I didn’t shed a single tear or have any emotions when any of my relatives died.

I guess the way I process emotions is atypical to most, so I’d be interesting in exploring it more.

2 hours ago, AlldayLoop said:

I cried feverishly when my cat (that I only had for 5 months died). I didn’t shed a single tear or have any emotions when any of my relatives died.

I guess the way I process emotions is atypical to most, so I’d be interesting in exploring it more.

The way you process emotions is completely normal.

Don't explore the Atypicality of this, explore the value you placed in your cat and the barrier placed towards your relatives. 

3 hours ago, AlldayLoop said:

That's simply explained by the fact that you identified strongly with your cat but not your relatives.

When you own a small cat it feels like your baby and so you feel much more responsible for it.

Remember, the meaning you assign to objects and people is purely relative and imaginary. So if you get attached to a coffee table, you will mourn its loss.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

1 hour ago, Mikael89 said:

Personally I avoid stepping on ants etc.

Jain monks (Jainism) wear mesh over their mouths/noses so they don't breathe in insects or whatever, and I think they sometimes use a thing to sweep the ground infront of them when they walk.

@Mikael89 you/this reminds me of prophet Sulaymān. He can understand the 'ants language' ... 

There is a sūrah called "The Ants" in the Quran. 

:ph34r:

Edited by Angelite

4 hours ago, Mikael89 said:

wear mesh over their mouths/noses so they don't breathe in insects

How often does one breathe in insects that this is a problem??

Although, funny story, when I was a kid on vacation in Mexico, as I was playing with my GameBoy a moth flew straight into my ear and got stuck there. It was buzzing around in there. Had to find a doctor to get it out.

@Leo Gura

49 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Although, funny story, when I was a kid on vacation in Mexico, as I was playing with my GameBoy a moth flew straight into my ear and got stuck there. It was buzzing around in there. Had to find a doctor to get it out.

Similar experience, except it was a black beetle in me. Wanted to ask this - Could you stay calm with like 5 insects inside both of your ears? 
Of,course it makes sense to panic and try to get them out as soon as possible, But could you if you wanted just let it be cause you don't care about your survival no more? 

47 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Lol. Not funny for both part I Guess. It just ended by blowing out the thing ?

What were you playing ? The black and white heavy GameBoy ?

I realise that I wouldn't kill consciously unless if it was to feed myself. I would be trying hunting one day. And I totaly appreciate animals. But that's too easy just going to the butcher and say miam.

My dad show me once how you kill a chicken.

I only fished so far.

I once met a guy at high school' he started a fight against someone for walking in the grass. He told him prior that - that grass was living too and that the dirty human he was should be aware of it. ( this Guy was close to me for a year cause he was curious to me' was fascinated with all kinds of thinking.

He got no Friends and didn't wanted any. And he wasn't 'bullyed' just really weirdo' more than me lel )

---

@Mikael89 your beliefs only turn circle. Especially the belief about who you think you are.

39 minutes ago, assx95 said:

@Leo Gura

Wanted to ask this - Could you stay calm with like 5 insects inside both of your ears? 

I am not some super human. I have emotions and dislikes just like everyone else.

If a moth flew into the Buddha's ear, he would probably freak out. It is a freaky experience.

Those whom have been made blind, will forever be blind.

Those who see with the light of truth, will recognize the roots of everything~

@Mikael89

how does the "walk a mile in someone else's shoes" message of the video help? I have been told this from my school teachers, tv shows,and books from the moment i could read and talk. As have others, including stage blue and red people. But they still act this way.. I still act selfishly in ways. 

I think its an important message but its hard to think that people who need to realize this message the most will ever. 

TO add to the bugs thing, my bf knows a girl who went to several psychiatrists for hearing noises no else heard, they diagnosed her with schizophrenia, then one doc wanted her to go to an audiologist just in case to make sure her ear is ok. They found a fly inside. After it was removed everything was normal again

@moon777light You have barely even begun to notice your self-bias.

Self-bias is not about helping others. It's about cutting through your own bullshit.

the message i got from the video was that to cut through my own bullshit, i need to put myself in anothers shoes, i feel like that is oversimplifying complex assumptions i have 

2 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

It must have thought it was flying toward the light. :) 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

2 hours ago, Aeris said:

What were you playing ? The black and white heavy GameBoy ?

It's obviously slang for penis. Leo experienced some biblical shit in Mexico. The wrath of God!

18 hours ago, Omni said:

The way you process emotions is completely normal.

Don't explore the Atypicality of this, explore the value you placed in your cat and the barrier placed towards your relatives. 

16 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Remember, the meaning you assign to objects and people is purely relative and imaginary. So if you get attached to a coffee table, you will mourn its loss.

Thank for the feedback guys. If you didn’t know already I am on the autism spectrum, but was diagnosed late. I’ve always felt like the black sheep and was never comfortable with people because I always felt I had to act a certain way to be loved.

This is what I’ve noticed especially with my extended family in recent times. I’ve started to realize that their love is highly based on conditions. They don’t want to say it to my face because they don’t want to hurt my feelings, but I can tell that they don’t agree with the path I’ve taken.

I was with my mom at a therapy session one time. She opened up about how her siblings are upset and critical to her about listening to the stuff I’ve discovered. Stuff about nonduality, God realization, using marijuana for spiritual purposes, etc. 

Her family is dogmatic and their love is highly based on a hierachy. So the fact that my mom is listening what I’m sharing, her siblings thinks it’s disrespectful and that I don’t know what I’m talking about.

So yeah, a cat doesn’t give a shit that I smoke weed, have seen God, that I don’t follow a religion, or that I’m even autistic ;) 

On 8/17/2019 at 6:00 PM, Scholar said:

Is it self-biased to save a human being over an ant? Is it self-bias to argue that a human being is more worth to save because it has a richer experience of life and has a greater contribution to higher consciousness?

How do we justify sacrificing the ant for the human? Can we do that by adopting the position of the ant and the human and deciding which one would prefer to continue to exist? But wouldn't that be self-bias because we are humans and will therefore choose the human?

Would a high consciousness being without self-bias choose the human over the ant?

The higher the consciousness of a being, the broader would be their expansion. From ant consciousness to the highest.

The greatest king, would be those who can speak the most languages. Like King Sulaymān~ 

The broader you go, more just you become. 

But also, the greater would be your responsibility. 

Richer experiences. Deeper darkness. Brightest light. 

Edited by Angelite

1 hour ago, AlldayLoop said:

Thank for the feedback guys. If you didn’t know already I am on the autism spectrum, but was diagnosed late. I’ve always felt like the black sheep and was never comfortable with people because I always felt I had to act a certain way to be loved.

This is what I’ve noticed especially with my extended family in recent times. I’ve started to realize that their love is highly based on conditions. They don’t want to say it to my face because they don’t want to hurt my feelings, but I can tell that they don’t agree with the path I’ve taken.

I was with my mom at a therapy session one time. She opened up about how her siblings are upset and critical to her about listening to the stuff I’ve discovered. Stuff about nonduality, God realization, using marijuana for spiritual purposes, etc. 

Her family is dogmatic and their love is highly based on a hierachy. So the fact that my mom is listening what I’m sharing, her siblings thinks it’s disrespectful and that I don’t know what I’m talking about.

So yeah, a cat doesn’t give a shit that I smoke weed, have seen God, that I don’t follow a religion, or that I’m even autistic ;) 

You've gotta understand that the inherent hypocrisy in your statement is that your love too, is conditional - hence why you cried when your cat died, and you didn't bat an eye when your relatives died. Being concerned with the opposition to the path you are on is something very hard to let go, sometimes feels impossible, but the path you are on leads to letting this go, but it's up to you - not them or any other circumstance.

Also keep in mind that you may (MAY) be deluded when you tell yourself you use weed for spiritual purposes, though i'm not saying it's wrong, consider that you're using that as the excuse to maintain your identity. I smoke weed myself, so i'm not trying to convince you to stop, but to rather understand the potential underlying root issue here.

lastly, don't take this as me attacking/shaming you by any means, you're perfectly fine to do what you do, as it's *natural* and all of it is part of the growth process. Autism or not you are not limited to your current position in this experience. :)

@Omni Thanks for your perspective! I will definitely keep that in mind. I think it ties nicely to this topic of self-bias because as you can see with my example it’s not as simple as “humans are more important than animals”. Actually, we are our own worst enemies and in our ignorance we create more suffering

Edited by AlldayLoop

On 8/18/2019 at 4:22 AM, Leo Gura said:

Ok this is incredible because the same damn thing happened to me when i was a kid.  Craziest thing ever - and i thought i was the only one.

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

Its pretty simple to figure out.

The human.

If you are given time to consider the idea though, like find out more about the person and discover their propensities, then it depends on that outcome. If the outcome is negative, then the ant.

Who knows, perhaps the person is planning on murdering good people, so if you could work that out then you'd know who to protect in this situation.

Ants like humans, when in the right environment can create a really positive impact. Put in the wrong environment though then those odds go down quite significantly and generally in proportion to the lack of compatibility between the person/ant and the environment.

Edited by possibilities