Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Derek White

Insight Into Observation/Awareness and Flow

2 posts in this topic

Hey guys!, I got this new insight about observation which I would like to share and I think will really help anybody trying to become aware. 

So it started out when I was trying to be aware but every time I did so it would break my flow. Flow as in I would be doing an activity, say cleaning the garden, and I would be in FLOW and then I would remember, "OH I need to be aware!" and then my flow would break. You see, the whole point of being aware is WATCHING not controlling so I was confused b/c I wasn't able to be self-aware when I was in FLOW, I was trying to control awareness.

THEN, after a while, it just hit me that the problem is that thought has divided the world into fragments and when we generally say "be aware", we mean observe the fragmented self, the part of the world which you call "you," (usually your thoughts and the area located between the forehead and behind the eyes). BUT, see  this idea of self false. You have divided the world into fragments and claim one fragment to be you, but this isn't the case. YOU ARE all the fragments. Flow is the flow of attention and hence is not a distraction, and there are not distraction, just the movement of attention thought can't control. You are not the experiencer, the observer, or the thinker. The observed is the observer. This is pretty easy to see intellectually also and I kinda knew that (n u shld too if u r into spirituality).

So the 'self which is in flow', and the 'self not in flow' are same. Once you see this you realize you are choicelessly aware no matter what you do. That's because no matter what state you are in, that state is you.

The problem is when we, new spiritual seekers, try to be self-aware we try to maintain a continuous attention on our fragmented idea of the self. But once you see that you are everything it will become much easier to observe yourself. Generally we think being in the 'flow' is being getting lost in activity and hence not being aware but it's actually the opposite; true meditation is always being in flow. Of course to actualize this you need to viscerally experience this, but intellectual understanding should help.

Edited by Derek White

“Many talk like philosophers yet live like fools.” — Proverb

@Derek White nicely done!

indeed. choice-less awareness :)

yup. there is only the self.

the self in the flow or out of flow is a label / distinction

like the famous duck and the rabbit optical illusion picture.

calling it a DUCK or a RABBIT is a label. 

that picture, whatever it is prior to you calling it a duck or a rabbit IS THE SAME

On 8/16/2019 at 11:52 PM, Derek White said:

So the 'self which is in flow', and the 'self not in flow' are same.

so the 'duck', and the 'rabbit' are same. 

@seeking_brilliance  33

Love Is The Answer
www.instagram.com/ev3rSunny