Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Justincredible76

How do i deal with the constant need to manage breath?

9 posts in this topic

Constantly throughout my day i feel a compulsion (sort of like running short of breath) to manage my breath. It seems when i pay enough attention to it and actually manage it it goes away, but when i do something else it comes back. The problem im now having is im trying to do concentration exercises by focusing on a metronome but i cant focus on the metronome without this feeling constantly arising and interrupting me. How can i dissolve this compulsion so i can focus on concentrating? What makes it worse is it feels like i cant really breathe without managing it, like it doesnt just happen anymore without thinking about it somewhat.

Edited by Justincredible76
Added info

i don't really have an answer, but i think i have the exact same problem. But it is also compounded because i have been exposed to many industrial lung pollutants so now its always in the back of my mind that my lungs might be fucked.

The only thing i've thought of is maybe taking up Qi Gong and telling the instructor my concerns so he can give special attention to teaching me the correct breathing

Maybe you can use it to your advantage. Like every time you feel it, use it as a reminder to be mindful and breathe deeply. And instead of focusing on a metronome you could try to just focus on your breath? 

@Fishy thats what i thought of doing, i could do that but i really like the simplicity of the metronome focusing. I think focusing on the breath might be too big of an “object” to concentrate on, if you get what i mean, when i tried it i kept losing focus more so than the metronome. But i still could keep at it and ill probably see different results over time, i only tried it once anyway.

@passerby your comment puts a little anxiety in me since I've been vaping thc for 2 years on and off, i wonder how heavily i fucked my lungs :(. Id always think even if they do get fucked, proper yoga or diet or “access to the creator within you” as sadhguru puts it would allow me to heal my lungs back to normal. Hopefully thats the case or better yet hopefully they aren't even that fucked :/.

@Justincredible76 yes give it some more try, it will become easier. And don't worry about the vaping you have done, vaping have not damaged your lungs lol. It's the least harmful way. I smoked from a bong dayly for 10 years. Quit some years ago and it feels like they have cleared up nicely. Vaping for 2 years is nothing. 

lol dude vaping aint gonna do shit to you, your fine bro! I was talking about myself being exposed to industrial grade pollution due to my previous job. even then, last year I did a lung function test and it came back normal (but that doesn't include imaging which would show if there is cancer or glass like particles in the lungs). I wanna get ct scan as well but apparently getting ct scan gives you a 5 percent chance of getting cancer, so I don't really wanna do it.

its gotta be a psychological thing (same with me, as my lung function test was normal). I remember reading that if you focus on shit like this then you end up causing your own issues (like the lung issue). I guess it could be called blocked energy. You should see a reputable traditional acupuncturist (i'm looking into one myself) and then maybe also doing qigong as well.

I had something similar once. What helped me was to "watch" myself struggle with it without identifying. Being aware of struggling and trying to relax when its happening. 

Thanks to who ever who suggested this on the forums for me :)

@molosku interesting method, im going to try that. Its almost like youre watching a movie and youre the observer, right?