ardacigin

Why Samatha Training Matters and When To Practice Self Enquiry

37 posts in this topic

Just now, zeroISinfinity said:

@Jack River It is Just so fucked up. I do not want to know this. I want to forget. 

Then forget 

Hit that off switch?

Just now, zeroISinfinity said:

@Jack River Find the headless man and You Will Find God. Where is it? 

where all “where’s” arises and subside...that which is whereless❤️

Singularities and black holes ?

I've never actually experienced such stuff

5 hours ago, Jack River said:

Exclusion may have been necessary for you...but that is the way you wanted to play it❤️

This thread got me thinking to open up to these techniques again, and I just ordered the book that is recommended here. 

But I want to give my opinion on this point, I'm not sure how serious you are, but still:

In my experience, do-nothing is the same as Self-abiding, which is brought about through Self Inquiry. And since the Self is not some thing that is outside of experience, this Self-abiding means to abide as the knower, the known and the knowing. It's all the same. And in that Beingness, even when thoughts are around, it is the most inclusive form of meditation there is. Nothing is excluded, you open all channels completely without attending to anything in particular. 

Isn't concentration/mindfulness the exclusive technique? Isn't to withdraw from all experience but a certain one a way of excluding objects of experience? As I said, I ordered the book and I will get back into the foundations, because I'm sure that my Self-abiding and inquiry can benefit greatly and that there are other practical benefits to be had. But isn't that just a preliminary exercise for recognizing the true Self? Many teachers I like say so. And maybe that's why I believe it to be true, maybe I'm even lazy to put in the work. That could all be the case, I'm open to admit that if it is true. Isn't there some truth in that though? I'm curious what your perspective is.

51 minutes ago, peanutspathtotruth said:

This thread got me thinking to open up to these techniques again, and I just ordered the book that is recommended here. 

But I want to give my opinion on this point, I'm not sure how serious you are, but still:

In my experience, do-nothing is the same as Self-abiding, which is brought about through Self Inquiry. And since the Self is not some thing that is outside of experience, this Self-abiding means to abide as the knower, the known and the knowing. It's all the same. And in that Beingness, even when thoughts are around, it is the most inclusive form of meditation there is. Nothing is excluded, you open all channels completely without attending to anything in particular. 

Isn't concentration/mindfulness the exclusive technique? Isn't to withdraw from all experience but a certain one a way of excluding objects of experience? As I said, I ordered the book and I will get back into the foundations, because I'm sure that my Self-abiding and inquiry can benefit greatly and that there are other practical benefits to be had. But isn't that just a preliminary exercise for recognizing the true Self? Many teachers I like say so. And maybe that's why I believe it to be true, maybe I'm even lazy to put in the work. That could all be the case, I'm open to admit that if it is true. Isn't there some truth in that though? I'm curious what your perspective is.

Hello my dude. Hope all is well?

i don’t think there is a one way in which is superior to others. As to subscribe to such a notion negates previous statements I’ve made today and hold to currently. 

I agree with Leo as to find whatever means works for the individual. To me exploring different ways is something that one should do because it interests them personally.

I appreciate the arduous self awareness approach that faceless use to post on. Understanding how to connect the dots in one’s own self constructed reality simply which brings about a movement of mind to a full stop. Also after he helped me sever my head off, so to speak, I was able to go direct. As in direct experience. Discernment between what is a conceptual veil and what is DIRECT SEEIGN. 

I am more attracted to the no way approach, which simply means a cessation of self-movement through insight. This insight simply arises due to self awareness. And by watching diligently I am able to snap out when I would fall asleep again and again. 

That being said, no way(wayless way) also implies not to hold to one specific way as being the best. As in no way, which really means no set way, actually gives one freedom to expand and broaden one’s consciousness if they so choose. There is an initial freedom in not accepting any means as a way. A type of death of self. A surrender, forgiveness, openness to look death in the face without hesitation. If that makes sense?

I recommend you explore different techniques if you feel that is necessary for you. As you mentioned not participating in techniques can be a resistance to die. But if you look closely that is also not considered action through insight. That would be a conditioned action because it is influenced by fear. So yes you have to be able to see the underlying actuality of your actions. As in actions of resistance and so on. 

For me I was lucky enough to come upon my essential nature fairly quick and see through direct experience. After my work with faceless  I realized that direct experience was right there the whole time. Only I looked through my own narrow lens. 

Anyway my perspective is be open. And you will see that openness or open mindedness as Leo speaks of is actually your true nature(love). 

The great thing about learning different techniques, learning all the intellectual and conceptual stuff like Leo teaches is you will be able to teach a broader range of people form all walks of life. 

Any way, wave time❤️?

Edited by Jack River

@Jack River Wow, beautifully put. You absolutely brought a point home for me. I think opening up to techniques might be something I need to face my reluctance to do so which was hiding there all along. And I will trust my own intuition about what is my path. The "direct" path really skyrocketed my progress lately, and now I will just incorporate some dedicated mindfulness practice. Welcome everything, hold onto nothing. 

Thank you ❤️

On 8/14/2019 at 10:38 AM, Jordan94 said:

I have to say I discovered the book The Mind Illuminated a few months ago thanks to one of @ardacigin posts, and it really skyrocketed my progress and benefits in meditation, I got more progress and fruits in the past few months than in 2-3 years of doing 1 to 2 hours daily of Goenka style vipassana meditation technique

I don't know why more people don't talk about it on this forum at least, it's just a pure gem for the people who are actually about doing the practices rather than just intelectualising the path

I know, right? I've found TMI completely by luck a few years ago clicking on an add by accident on amazon. Then I saw the cover of the book. Checked the comments.

Wasn't expecting anything too deep. Started reading it. In a few pages in, I've started taking notes and after more reading and practice, my mind was blown. This is one of the hidden gems of meditation teachings. I haven't found a more comprehensive, systematic, modern, holistic and scientific meditation manual than TMI. 

I tend to view TMI as I view Xenoblade Chronicles games. Recently Xenoblade Chronicles 2 came out for the Switch. Pure hidden gem. Not many people know about it, but it is one of the best in its genre. TMI is like that in my opinion.

When I meditate every day, I think to myself:

'Wow! I'm experiencing all of these states of consciousness thanks to this one book. If it weren't for these instructions, I'd have never put this much effort on training stable attention and strong peripheral awareness. This one book transformed my spiritual practice in a major way.'

Edited by ardacigin