Keyhole

What are some ways that we impact the environment negatively in our everyday lives?

37 posts in this topic

@tedens Insects are surprisingly not that bad tasting.  A friend of mine and I tried a few different kinds at an asian shop about a decade ago and we liked them.

🌺 

going vegan is NOT the solution but a part of the problem!
recycling is also a part of problem

why? recyling mean you have produced the waste in first place - don't recycle coke cans - just don't buy coke

and going vegan destroy the nature - air, water, soil, plants, animals (including humans) is a system - don't tinker with system you don't fully understand! - that said both industrial farming and industrial animal production are destructive - so back to nature - but real nature.

@Johnny Your solutions aren't feasible.  People have to eat.  People have to buy products from time to time that require them to recycle things.  How do you expect billions of people to go back to nature?  Not possible, we still need farms.

🌺 

well - if you focus on recycling more waste are produced, not less - i didn't say do not recycle - it just the wrong order

ofcouse we need farms - real farms with animals - not industrial monsters  - and sometime we buy things but 24/7?

the question is: "what do YOU really want" - and not "how should everyone else change so I can feel righteous"

I think you should be the change you want to see in the world. You want the world to be eco- friendly?

Be eco- friendly. You would be surprised to see how your good habits will rub on people around you.

Just consume less. I buy 90% of my clothes second hand (I just buy new shoes -  and I have one pair of winter boots, two pairs of converse, one pair of heels, one pair working shoes - I will probably buy some sandals when I go back to Spain).

All my technology is second hand - second hand laptop, phone, Nikkon. 

I do not use cosmetics of any kind. I use coconut oil as deodorant, or for dry skin. I use homemade soap/ shampoo.

All my house cleaning products - laundry detergent as well - are bio degradable.

I buy local,organic produce as much as I can and I grow some of my own food.

If the USA is like the UK - every family with it's own house and a front and back yard, guess what?   You can grow food. It's not that hard and it is really rewarding - just google permaculture.  I rent, and my neighbors think our backyard is a trash can. So I took half of it and turned into a veggie garden. It has given me kale, lettuce, broccoli, tomatoes, cucumbers, radishes, onions, mint, french beans, cauliflower, sunflower seeds :) 

I am vegetarian for 8 years now, but I don't really consume dairy either. Just some eggs (organic, free range) now and then. I don't fly, never did (except for 4 years when I was skydiving - but no commercial flying) , I don't drive, never did.  I usually hitchhike or take the train (it took me 6 days and 5 nights to get from Madrid to the UK - me and my 24 kg dog :) - she is a carnivore - she eats half a kilo of raw meat every day - I might not have a dog after she goes)

In the end, as long as there is demand there will be someone to supply for the demand. What are you asking for? 

What are your guys’ thoughts on websites like change.org? I have tried giving my voice on websites like those, but the problem I’ve found is the ridiculous amount of emails I get from them because they keep pushing for your attention which seems a bit sketchy to me.

18 minutes ago, Codrina said:

What are you asking for? 

Because I don't know much about living in an environmentally friendly manner and I am not sure if others do, either.  I wanted to compile a list that others and myself have access to via this thread, so that we can make decisions on if we want to make changes to our lives.

🌺 

8 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Environmental problems are chiefly systemic. They cannot be solved at the individual level, they must be solved at the collective level.

You can recycle all the Coke cans you want, but it will not make a dent in the problem.

A good analogy of this might be that supplements can be extremely beneficial and life changing for your body and mind, but they won’t mean squat if your diet and exercise program is shit.

12 hours ago, AlldayLoop said:

A good analogy of this might be that supplements can be extremely beneficial and life changing for your body and mind, but they won’t mean squat if your diet and exercise program is shit.

Nice. I like that.

"Be melting snow. Wash yourself of yourself." -- Rumi

We can do what we want, we can complain about corporations and goverments all day long. As long as we consume beef and milk there will be no future for this planet. Even if the entire western world would stop consuming all animal products immediately, the world would still be doomed because there are billions of people who are just now beginning to consume like we do, who are just beginning to enter the exploitative stage of orange.

https://www.onegreenplanet.org/animalsandnature/this-is-how-animal-agriculture-causes-deforestation/

The amount of change that is required within the next decade would have to be the most radical change in the history of mankind. It would take a reallocation of ressources on a level greater than when the entire western world was threatened by Nazi Germany. It would take sacrifice on individual and national levels.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/oct/08/global-warming-must-not-exceed-15c-warns-landmark-un-report

The effects climate change will have on mankind will most likely make things worse not better. Do you think people in the western world will care about the climate once food prizes go up so radically that they will barely be able to afford it? Will their consciousness increase when millions of refugees will be trying to enter their nations while they can barely feed their own children?

Realistically I feel like there is no way we can avoid doom. People do not even seem to understand that the effects we are experiencing today is lagging behind from what we did 40 years ago.

https://skepticalscience.com/Climate-Change-The-40-Year-Delay-Between-Cause-and-Effect.html

Coral reefs are already dying, which sustain a huge chunk of marine life.

https://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/features/coral-reefs-important-dying-180128135520949.html

I don't know, when I look at the data it seems like we have already crashed into the wall with 100mph, having split seconds before we die, somehow discussing how we can escape the car in which we sit in so that we don't die, while actually being mainly concerned with what to eat for dinner next sunday.

And even now people are only concerned about all of this because it effect us, as humans. It is the epitome of egoism. If destroying nature did not effect us, there would be none of it left.

48 minutes ago, Scholar said:

Realistically I feel like there is no way we can avoid doom.

You make some good points, but don't lose hope. Mankind and nature is more resilient than you think. A few degrees of higher temp will certainly not kill off mankind. And new technologies will allow future generations to rehabilitate the planet.

Things might get bad for the next 100 years. But they should get much better after that.

Remember, evolution is always moving towards higher consciousness and higher love. It will not fail. Not in the long run. There is a higher intelligence at work.

Of course God helps those who help themselves. So we shouldn't just sit around eating Cheetos.

"Be melting snow. Wash yourself of yourself." -- Rumi

Posted (edited)

Simple direct steps all can take :
This may sound plain stupid. But these are one of the few things that are in the domain of direct personal action, can be applied rapidly and easily. You can set Level 1 and 2 in a week.

Level 1: Easy - A combo of Minimalism an having HQ stuff.

De clutter: We don't need all those cooking pans, plates colorful glasses, colorful shirts, footwear, furniture, carpets ect.
Have a few high quality things that serve you and that you can use for many purposes. Clothes can be one-colored and simple, either the highest quality the market can offer or handmade, buy/make 10 of the same pants and don't think about it for 10 years. Same with other stuff you use.

Point is: Own as few things as you can, all of them should be lasting. Also sort and recycle any junk that appears.

Level 2: Moderate - Add Food

Disengage in mindless food shopping. Have nutritious foods. Find local farms, buy most from them. Pre-cook an freeze stocks of it. If you have space and time, you may also do some small scale farming. At least you can have a dozen of food plants around your house.

Level 3: Hard - Off Grid living and Permaculture. Earthships .

If you are planing on buying, making a house anyway, and doing a lot about it. You may consider of making a somewhat off-grid house that is as self sufficient it can get. One that collects rain water, collects electricity, has food cycle. (peraculture) This can be extremely difficult, that is why it is best done in communities instead of solo. Permaculture also takes about 30 years to get useful, so you may do it for your kids and your older self.

The wildest hippie dreams can be your reality !!
But seriously, you can do 1 and 2 ...

Edited by Yog

Posted (edited)

It is cool to look at this: Pollution has almost halved around the world in the last 7 years.
Also note how well are those third world countries doing.

2012:
https://www.numbeo.com/pollution/rankings_by_country.jsp?title=2012-Q1

https://www.numbeo.com/pollution/rankings_by_country.jsp?title=2019-mid

This data tools are also  cool, you can scrub and play trough time. Its animated.
https://www.gapminder.org/tools/

Edited by Yog

Basic things we can do to improve the environment:

Boicot to avocados that are generating HUGE deforestation in south america. Boicot to Soy products that create deforestation in Asia.

Dont buy products with palm oil, its destructing the habitat of most animals in the jungle.

Posted (edited)

Some problems, that I don't see solvable at an individual level (if a visionary starting a movement doesn't count):

Light pollution

Blackout_Todd_CarlsonTowards_Toronto_Goo

Before and during the 2003 Northeast blackout, a massive power outage that affected 55 million people. Photo by of Todd Carlson
[...]

Effects of Light Pollution
[...]
- Increasing energy consumption
- Disrupting the ecosystem and wildlife
- Harming human health
- Effecting crime and safety

Disrupting your own sleep rhythm and that of others, so everyone get less and lower quality of sleep.

EMF pollution (electromagnetic fields)

by current wireless technology, cell phones, and AC power lines

tower-distance-grey1.jpg

I do not know if the image above is correct, the site also sells pendants as a solution.

This one, especially concerning studies on risks of microwaves, cellphones, the fancy bluetooth earbuds everyone is walking around with these days seems extremely difficult to solve because of closemindedness, vested interests, corporate funded studies.

I wanted to think about doing something about this as my life purpose... only that it seems that one wrong move may make me a target of people that could fuck up the lives on me and everyone I know... >.<

We need some people in charge to re-design the zoo we're living in a lot more appropriate for everyone's biology.

Edited by peqkno

Miracle:    Impossible from an old understanding of reality, but possible from a new one.

Bananas are being ravaged by a fungus.

A fungus that has wreaked havoc on banana plantations in the Eastern Hemisphere has, despite years of preventative efforts, arrived in the Americas.

ICA, the Colombian agriculture and livestock authority, confirmed on Thursday that laboratory tests have positively identified the presence of so-called Panama disease Tropical Race 4 on banana farms in the Caribbean coastal region. The announcement was accompanied by a declaration of a national state of emergency.

The discovery of the fungus represents a potential impending disaster for bananas as both a food source and an export commodity. Panama disease Tropical Race 4—or TR4—is an infection of the banana plant by a fungus of the genus Fusarium. Although bananas produced in infected soil are not unsafe for humans, infected plants eventually stop bearing fruit.

Edited by Keyhole

🌺