Keyhole

What are some ways that we impact the environment negatively in our everyday lives?

37 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

What are some ways that we impact the environment negatively in our everyday lives, and what are some solutions we can take to make this planet viable for everyone to use?

I'll go first:  Cutting the rings on beer and pop cans to keep small animals from choking on or getting stuck in them.

Edited by Keyhole

🌺 

Posted (edited)

Not eating animal products is a good way to start as it has one of the most detrimental effects on the environment. One can transition to consuming mussels as a meat/fish replacement as they are very environmentally benefitial. Eventually we want to support meat replacements like lab grown meat so that less developed contries can be supplied with a cheaper and evnironmentally friendly alternative to these products.

It will require radical change if we want to have this planet go on the way it does.

Edited by Scholar

- Buy less clothes

- Use reusable products and containers and avoid one-way products as much as possible

- Take public transport

- Eat less meat

- Take the train instead of flying if possible

- Buy higher quality products that last longer

- Avoid products containing unnecessary harmful chemicals, e.g. body hygiene products

- Buy higher quality food eventhough it costs more (for one's own good and the environment)

Theses are some really simple ways we can contribute that would already help quite a lot if more people did them.

Hard times create strong men. 
Strong men create good times. 
Good times create weak men.
Weak men create hard times.

Environmental problems are chiefly systemic. They cannot be solved at the individual level, they must be solved at the collective level.

You can recycle all the Coke cans you want, but it will not make a dent in the problem.

Environmental problems require a stage Yellow systemic perspective. So your energy would be better used not in recycling Coke cans but getting politically active. Voting in your local primaries and donating to conscious politicians and telling your friend to vote too is more important than recycling Coke cans.

To solve most of our serious problems all that's needed is serious political engagement. Elect the right people and they will solve the problems for you.

"Be melting snow. Wash yourself of yourself." -- Rumi

Posted (edited)

@Leo Gura so what should we do? Should we stop recycling, keep eating meat etc? 

Edited by MsNobody

"There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so." Shakespeare

@Leo Gura I've heard that going vegan does a lot for the environment, even on an individual level.  We do need to change our habits, and some people aren't aware of how they could do that.  We can't lobby for change if we don't even know what we should be changing.

🌺 

4 minutes ago, MsNobody said:

@Leo Gura so what should we do? Should we stop recycling, keep eating meet etc? 

He just said what to do lol

Real Eyes, Realize, Real Lies.

@Rinne

well he is at stage yellow and turquoise and if I’m to be honest with myself I must confess I’m at stage orange and green, should I just press the “fuck the environment” button and stop doing the things I’m doing because like he said it’s not changing anything? Of course I would like to speed up my evolution and go yellow but the reality is very different. 

Maybe it’s just my green side being an activist and trying to save the environment.. don’t know. What do you think?  

"There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so." Shakespeare

Going vegan sounds good in theory, but in practice not enough people will do it.

You have to understand that massive systemic problems require solutions that SCALE across tens of millions of people. 10s of millions of people are not going vegan any time soon.

Reform of the political system is necessary. The #1 step is removing all money from politics.

If you really care, donate or volunteer to: Wolf-Pac.com to help them pass a Constitutional Amendment to get money out of politics. And vote in primaries for the most progressive leaders. Primary all centrist corporatist Democrats. There will not be change so long as corporatists are in power. This means corporatist Democrats and all Republicans. Kick them out.

50 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

You can recycle all the Coke cans you want, but it will not make a dent in the problem.

Environmental problems require a stage Yellow systemic perspective. So your energy would be better used not in recycling Coke cans but getting politically active.

I agree. But who said you can't do both? 

One can get involved in politics and also be more environmentally conscious of one's own impact at the same time.

Most of the ways we can reduce our impact on an individual level are extremely simple and don't cost a lot of money or energy

2 minutes ago, Shiva said:

You can do both and more. But it's important to get one's priorities straight.

Don't be fooling yourself that pissing in the ocean is gonna change the world. You need to find high leverage points or your action will go to waste.

Posted (edited)

@Leo Gura The video mentions some of what you were saying, how we don't have to go full vegan, but can support farms that do a natural grazing method, like what the wild buffalo used to do.

It offers different systemic approaches to veganism.

Edited by Keyhole

🌺 

10 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

You can do both and more. But it's important to get one's priorities straight.

Don't be fooling yourself that pissing in the ocean is gonna change the world. You need to find high leverage points or your action will go to waste.

I think that's true, and I also think that it is not optional to be mindful of one's individual impact if one wants to be politically involved.

If you demand for change politically but you yourself drive a Hummer privately, people will call you a hypocrite.

I'm only at stage purple tbh.  I thought I was blue, but not so.
Systemic thinking isn't my forte, but I care about animals and I want to help make a difference in their lives.
I can't understand a lot of what is being talked about here sometimes tbh.

🌺 

1 hour ago, MsNobody said:

@Rinne

well he is at stage yellow and turquoise and if I’m to be honest with myself I must confess I’m at stage orange and green, should I just press the “fuck the environment” button and stop doing the things I’m doing because like he said it’s not changing anything? Of course I would like to speed up my evolution and go yellow but the reality is very different. 

Maybe it’s just my green side being an activist and trying to save the environment.. don’t know. What do you think?  

Ok i get what your saying now. Maybe you should do both. Be an activist and try to save the planet while at the same time making sure your steadily keeping track of moving towards stage yellow and not just getting stuck at green/orange. Its probably best not to hit the "fuck the environment" button just cause thats plainly making things worse right or wrong?

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

You need to find high leverage points or your action will go to waste.

This pretty much answers your question msnobody

Real Eyes, Realize, Real Lies.

1 hour ago, Shiva said:

One can get involved in politics and also be more environmentally conscious of one's own impact at the same time.

Most of the ways we can reduce our impact on an individual level are extremely simple and don't cost a lot of money or energy

Totally agree with @Shiva here! Plus realize what power you have when you vote with your wallet. Don't buy a coke can in the first place! :P
Also, if you want to test your presumingly highly advanced knowledge about what can be done on the individual vs. industry vs. policymaker level, here is a nice test:

https://edition.cnn.com/interactive/2019/04/specials/climate-change-solutions-quiz/?fbclid=IwAR2Ht1bKGUTtG-GAmtBJfWVYWdBTXwD42C1p-0JQKv2tMqfHjhL0AMQO9b8 

Posted (edited)

When it comes to not eating meat, this is a substitute: 

depositphotos_32442799-stock-photo-fried-bamboo-larvae-snack-in.jpg

Apparently a very small amount of energy is required for their production and you can imagine it is spaghetti.

Edited by tedens