CreamCat

A few keys to sustainable productivity.

10 posts in this topic

For the last few years, I slid back again and again after trying to force myself to work. I realized forcing myself to work cannot be sustainable for more than two weeks. Forcing myself to do something creates a lot of friction which is counterproductive.

Thus, I decided to research laziness by allowing myself to be lazy. I had been consciously lazy for a few weeks. Eventually, I became sick of being lazy and came up with a few keys to sustainable productivity.

• Do no-distraction meditation throughout each day.
    • Don't allow yourself to be distracted by addictive things or any major distractions.
    • Allow yourself to do something productive, but don't force yourself to do it. If you don't feel like doing something productive, just walk around or drink water or do light exercises. Sedona method is going to automatically kick in.
    • After working productively for a while, taking a break for 5~10 minutes and doing light exercises refreshes my mind and makes me want to do something productive again.
  • Low-effort hack
    • This means just showing up at work without committing yourself to do the work to completion. If you want to work out, just show up at a gym. You are going to take care of yourself once you show up at a gym.
    • Just show up. Don't burden yourself with the need to do the work well. Even if you don't feel like doing it, you can at least show up. Once you show up, momentum is going to take care of you. You can use the initial seed of momentum to build more momentum.
    • I just show up and warm up by doing the work a little bit. If I feel like doing more, I do more.
    • After showing up, if I don't feel like doing it, I just warm up more by working frivolously without expecting any result. Warming up more works well.
  • Pomodoro technique
    • Pomodoro is simply a 25-minute work session followed by 5 minute break. After 4 pomodoro sessions, take 10 minute break.
    • I use pomodoro as a low-effort hack.
  • Build up short-term momentum and long-term momentum.
    • Everyday, after you wake up, you build up short-term momentum by first showing up and slowly warming up.
    • As you build up momentum over weeks and months, you build up long-term momentum. With a lot of long-term momentum, building short-term momentum each day becomes far easier.
    • With a lot of long-term momentum, you can do a lot of work and push yourself beyond your comfort zone more often.
  • Use momentum and discipline to build more discipline.
    • While you keep yourself at work, build discipline. It's going to take years to build a high level of discipline. It's going to help in the long run.

To kickstart the process requires some amount of discipline and awareness.

Edited by CreamCat

I use flow. I don't think of working or not. I do  observe my soul attracted to doing or not doing.

I don't care with results.

Contemplate death.

Why ?

Contemplate there is no meaning outside yourself : you is the meaning.

Life is the goal.

We learn. We result and all of that in being.

The industrial thinking mindset is cancer of the soul.

I m not talking about being lazy or not.

My normal being is mainly hard working and hard thinking. But each one his way.

Find your sea is the only pomodoro bullshit yoi should act on

Edited by Aeris

Joy makes me soooo productive?

Sailing on the ceiling 

15 minutes ago, Joseph Maynor said:

Joy* is the highest stage on the emotional scale.

*More specifically, the highest stage is: Joy, Appreciation, Empowerment, Freedom, Love.

Emotional Scale.jpg

I ve seen this.

I choosed to live and breath only for your acceptance list. Everything out of it is untermench thinking. Lesser dev stages.

I think we can take responsability and acceptance for everything happening in our mind.

Unless it doesn't come from our authority ( healing ). Kill the ennemy of your breath with joy. Rip their mind off and rape their childrens. (Revenge)

The circle never end

Edited by Aeris

1 hour ago, Joseph Maynor said:

Despite your exhibition of freedom, a lot of things can be systemically understood and therefore systemically controlled.  Science is possible as one side of a paradox.  Apply the Paradox of Science and No Science.

I agree and I probably get you. I always take science and logic from this 'paradox of science and no science'.

There is the cloud-model. Seams to work - we call it 'science'

Show me the limit. I'll show you the new one coming from the Infinite

@CreamCat thank you for this list.

I am a huge follower of the low-effort hack.

I see it as turning onto a the on ramp of a highway. Once you just get started, its harder to turn back, and sometimes the next turnoff isn't for another 30 minutes, which by then you have been productive, should you wish to take it :)

@Joseph Maynor xDxDxD

Unlike yourself, most of us are at ground zero. Low-effort hacks is the ignition source we need to get momentum. 

I'll meet you in space when I get there B|

1 hour ago, Joseph Maynor said:

Low-effort hacks are the tinder of Self-help you say!

A different word for low-effort hack is warming up.

Before you put a lot of effort, you first warm up.

Lazy people start with low-effort work and ramp up to high-effort work over time.

@CreamCat looks like there are different definitions for 'low-effort hacks'. 

I guess 'hack' is maybe not the best word, as it often infers shortcuts, or short term gain at the detriment of the long term. 

Maybe we should call them 'beginner friendly practices', but that doesn't have the same ring to it xD

Bringing it back to topic, I like the way you describe momentum and discipline building on itself. Just focusing on starting small is more important than having a grand plan, in my experience, as the momentum carries you inevitably to your grand goals in time anyway. :)