nikkikc

Conscious Universities?

13 posts in this topic

Hey guys.

Next year I'm planning to transfer from college to a university, and I'm struggling to find a school designed for studying the teachings of East-West psychology, spirituality, consciousness studies, and anything related to self-actualization. I know a lot of my time is going to be invested in school, so I might as well use it to my advantage to grow. I'm more shifted towards schools in the California area and my major is psychology, so far I found one school called CIIS. If you guys have any suggestions I would love to hear them. Thank you & much love x 

I've spent the last 3 months researching colleges and with how these schools are as far a price and reputation for doctoral work or getting a job, I don't think it's worth it. If you want to study transpersonal psychology, which is great, I think you're better off doing it on your own whether or not you go to college. 

CIIS for example is 22k. 

Let me know what you find or think. I'm in a similar pinch as you and am not sure of myself at all.

God forced me to drop out of university. I was only in university for myself. Not a good enough reason.

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

1 hour ago, Cocolove said:

CIIS for example is 22k. 

You guys have been so spoiled with free Actualized videos :P

Of course paying 22k seems absurd now! Lol

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

13 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

You guys have been so spoiled with free Actualized videos :P

Of course paying 22k seems absurd now! Lol

Some are born in rich family of thieves.

Others have to get their own fingers sharp.

Or maybe their minds.

Knowledge is everywhere for free. Only your brain makes you pay the price.

Why there is pirate in Somalia ?

Fucking Pirates. Get a job 

I'd love to hear more opinions on whether these stage green type degree programs are worth it or not. I have an idea to do a masters degree in Consciousness, Spirituality and Transpersonal Psychology out of sheer interest but as you guys have pointed out there's many pros and cons to degree programs.

However, I feel like there is a trend to bash degrees now, obviously yes you can learn these things from the internet, but I also feel as transpersonal psychology is a relatively new field to have established degree programs in, the way the programs might be structured by people who have been in the field for decades may be worth it. What do you think?

Potential Pros of Consciousness Related Degree Programs:

A structured course led by professors who have been in the field for years, their expertise would likely filter down into the quality of the program and how it is structured

A qualification in this ever-increasing field (as we enter into stage green) helps to establish yourself in the marketplace against competition

Genuine enhanced levels of personal development depending on the programs structure and it's modules

A solid theoretical foundation

Opportunities to explore niches within this developing field (Transpersonal Ecopsycology, Transpersonal Coaching, using a masters project/ dissertation as a small bet)

Access to tutors and mentors who have developed mastery in the field.

Potential Cons of Consciousness Related Degree Programs:

Pricing (Although online programs can be significantly cheaper than on-campus type program)

Over-theorizing (Although I have seen many programs have very solid practice based modules)

The bad side of Academia (The standard academic approach to things not being improved on)

Perhaps less guidance on career direction afterward (Although many programs I have seen do try and emphasize its practicality)

Time & Energy Investment

I'm trying to balance out the pros and cons here, as I know there is a tendency to bash degree programs. What do you guys reckon?

Edited by -Rowan
Spelling

@-Rowan Thank you, Rowan, for taking the time to write the pros and cons list, it was extremely helpful. I've taken it into consideration and feel that learning from a professors expertise would be nice but then again Leo's videos provide you everything you need to know about transpersonal psychology. It makes me feel conflicted because I don't want to attend a regular university and learn a western form of psychology for god knows how many years, but it's a big deal for my family if I don't get a degree. I'm diffidently going to look more into it and inform you if I find anything.  

18 minutes ago, nikkikc said:

@-Rowan but it's a big deal for my family if I don't get a degree.

Do not worry about that. Going your own separate way is very important. ^_^

@nikkikc No worries. I only listed them because I'm interested in doing a masters in a related feel but similarly to you, feel conflicted about it. I'll Dm you the courses I have found so far.

@Shiva Could you link an example of a consciousness related dutch program? Thanks :)