Farnaby

A scientific study on drug induced ego-death

17 posts in this topic

Sorry, I just noticed I posted in the wrong forum.

I just found this paper and found it pretty interesting.

Especially the part about ego-dissolution being pretty similar to acute psychotic symptoms.

What if psychosis is just a very intense spiritual experience?

What do you think? 

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fnhum.2017.00245/full

Edited by Farnaby

What if objective reality is a collective psychosis, and intense spiritual awakenings are glimpses into actual reality?

48 minutes ago, XYZ said:

What if objective reality is a collective psychosis, and intense spiritual awakenings are glimpses into actual reality?

Assuming that that's true, so what?

On 09/08/2019 at 8:02 PM, Mikael89 said:

Or a very intense spiritual experience is just a psychosis.

Assuming that that's true, so what?

I hope you can see the point that I'm trying to make, which is that all perspectives are just perspectives, no need for the tug of war.

Saying this is true or that is true is just a survival strategy, favouring/clinging to one perspective over all others.

Wake up!

Edited by Truth Addict

ALL experience is hallucination.

It's very simple. You don't need a research study to tell you this.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

35 minutes ago, Truth Addict said:

I hope you can see the point that I'm trying to make, which is that all perspectives are just perspectives, no need for the tug of war.

Saying this is true or that is true is just a survival strategy, favouring/clinging to one perspective over all others.

Wake up!

?

2 hours ago, XYZ said:

Good. Love it

21 minutes ago, Mikael89 said:

It's a quest for Truth.

Waking up requires Truth too.

So you contradict yourself. First you are against searching for Truth and then later in the same post you are for it.

Is truth relative? How could it not always be based on self bias?

Is there really ever one truth? Or A truth? 

In the articles says these drugs induce feelings of numbness with oneness. As far as I know, numbness is opposite to a high consciousness state, which is what we want.

@Moreira It is also called sleep paralysis when different states can occur. I mean sober whilst going meta.  Body gets really heavy as if it was made of stone.

Edited by tedens

57 minutes ago, Mikael89 said:

It's a quest for Truth.

Waking up requires Truth too.

So you contradict yourself. First you are against searching for Truth and then later in the same post you are for it.

Truth is not a concept that you can search for and find. The quest is meant to get your mind exhausted so you can see that, not to make you cling to a certain perspective. Truth-realisation is just seeing things as they actually are without any layers of interpretation. Such in: a thought is just a thought, a chair is just a chair, etc...

Waking up requires a realisation that there's nothing to get or to be understood. That's why it's called the gateless gate. So yeah, it is a contradiction, you gotta be able to deal with paradoxes.

How to find the absolute truth if it's absolute and cannot be absent? It's already here, without labels, without a single layer of interpretation, not love, not awareness, not truth, not even nothing. Saying anything at all about it is already saying too much.

6 minutes ago, Mikael89 said:

@Truth Addict 

And you are damn right about that it's not Love. You are starting to learn.

Haha! ??

You little dawg!

6 minutes ago, Mikael89 said:

@Truth Addict Yes, I know.

It is Truth, Awareness, and Absolute. You just need to be aware of that the map is not the territory when using words.

You don't know. You can't.

This "knowledge" is standing right between you and the truth. Throw it in the trash. Be free.

This "knowledge" is what's keeping you stuck in life.

Edited by Truth Addict

On 9/8/2019 at 7:02 PM, Mikael89 said:

Or a very intense spiritual experience is just a psychosis.

@Mikael89 haha you got me! Maybe they are indeed labels for the same experience. 

On 12/8/2019 at 9:48 AM, Leo Gura said:

ALL experience is hallucination.

It's very simple. You don't need a research study to tell you this.

@Leo Gura you mean it’s a hallucination because our brains filter out what we’re able to perceive and create a phenomenological experience? 

Why dismiss a scientific paper that can deepen our understanding of the ego death experience?

On 12/8/2019 at 11:43 AM, tedens said:

@Farnaby Thx for sharing this. Really interesting.

@tedens you’re welcome!

On 12/8/2019 at 0:57 PM, Truth Addict said:

Truth is not a concept that you can search for and find. The quest is meant to get your mind exhausted so you can see that, not to make you cling to a certain perspective. Truth-realisation is just seeing things as they actually are without any layers of interpretation. Such in: a thought is just a thought, a chair is just a chair, etc...

Waking up requires a realisation that there's nothing to get or to be understood. That's why it's called the gateless gate. So yeah, it is a contradiction, you gotta be able to deal with paradoxes.

How to find the absolute truth if it's absolute and cannot be absent? It's already here, without labels, without a single layer of interpretation, not love, not awareness, not truth, not even nothing. Saying anything at all about it is already saying too much.

@Truth Addict Are you suggesting that we shouldn’t seek to understand reality with our minds and just experience it without interpreting it? 

Reminds me of Krishnamurti’s teachings ?

10 minutes ago, Farnaby said:

@Truth Addict Are you suggesting that we shouldn’t seek to understand reality with our minds and just experience it without interpreting it? 

Reminds me of Krishnamurti’s teachings ?

Kind of, but not exactly. Obviously, there's no shoulds or shouldn'ts. Everyone is free to do whatever they want. For me, I value health (external) and well-being (internal). So whenever I see a form of dis-ease, aka suffering, I try to give treatments. I now even started expanding that whenever I suspect a possibility of potential suffering or a possibility of a collective conflict, I know I have to act on it.

What I'm specifically suggesting is to put everything in its rightful place, to make life flow smoothly, and to live in harmony and in tune with reality.

What is a hallucination and what is a non-hallucination. Look around at the colors around you. All hallucinations. There are no colors. There are wavelengths of colorless light that stimulate biochemical reactions in the brain and then the visual cortex creates the hallucination of color. It makes it up. What you see as color could also be hallucinated as smells if those wavelengths of light got routed through the olfactory system. . . Listen to the sounds around you. All hallucinations. Soundless air disturbances that get hallucinated as sound. Those sounds you think exist could be hallucinated as colors if the sensation of soundless air disturbances were routed by the thalamus to the visual cortex. None of that information is objectively “real”. Colors are colorless. Sounds are soundless. Snakes and butterflies hallucinate differently than humans. Each of us is hallucinating whether or not we are on psychedelics. We just assume our sober hallucinations are “real” and psychedelic-induced hallucinations are not real.