Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jordan94

Are callories equal ?

7 posts in this topic

So i'm usually strugling to eat enough to gain weight (and muscle), I need let's say 3k calories daily

Recently I discovered that there's a bunch of calories in olive oil and butter, and it's easy to take (and less bad on energy levels than pasta)

My question is, if i add 500 calories daily of olive oil is it gonna be the same for gaining weight (and muscle) than if I would have added 500 calories of oats ? (while my daily intake of protein is already enough)

Thanks

4 hours ago, Moreira said:

Its better and less stress for the body

Olive oil rather than oats ?

Eat a big slice of cake on an empty stomach. Monitor how you feel.

Eat a rainbow salad with nuts and beans on an empty stomach. Monitor how you feel.

Everything you need to know is in your direct experience :) 

Sailing on the ceiling 

They're not the same because oils and carbs are stored and burned completely differently in your body. I can't say which calorie source is superior in your situation though. It's usually better to not go to any one extreme, so maybe the answer is a bit of both, and experiment with it, monitoring your body, as Rigel says.

How to get to infinity? Divide by zero.

15 hours ago, Rigel said:

Eat a big slice of cake on an empty stomach. Monitor how you feel.

Eat a rainbow salad with nuts and beans on an empty stomach. Monitor how you feel.

Everything you need to know is in your direct experience :)

About the effect on my energy/focus I have no doubt about the impacts, but my question is more on the weight/muscle gain part, which I can't really monitor/observe through direct experience

I've done a bit more research and it seems to me know that it would be roughly the same thing in terms of weight gain/loss at least, but it would obviously have an effect on my macros, which I don't know how important or how much change that would make

So I guess the question is now do macro really matter that much for gaining muscle ?

Edited by Jordan94

@Jordan94 Plan an experiment on yourself.

Set like 2 or 3 months periods where you try one approche then switch and see what works best for you.

Of course it means you got to stick to one particular diet for a long time.(Or not if that diet really doesn't work for you)

Direct experience is cumulative. The more you try stuff out and stay mindful the more you will gravitate towards what suites you.

On 2019-08-13 at 4:02 AM, Jordan94 said:

So I guess the question is now do macro really matter that much for gaining muscle ?

In my experience it is not that important. I used to follow the typical approach to working out: Protein shake, meat, eggs, etc. And you know it kinda worked. I put on a lot of muscle in that period. It's been about a year since I last hit the gym. Now I eat mostly Plant Based/Raw and organic and all exercise I do is walking and bodyweight(push-up, etc.) I am a lot leaner and my muscles kept up. Your body/mind is a highly dynamic and fluid system. There's no need to count macros and stuff. It's great to get you started but once you get to know your body you will notice that, intuitively, it knows what to eat. You might even be surprised as to how much you need to eat. Based on the "western calorie counting approach" I should be melting by now because I eat so little. Yet I have a lot of energy, bright skin and a decent shape without even hitting the gym.

The trick is to be mindful all day, every day!

Sailing on the ceiling