Adilbek

Moral dilemma: working on a thesis about the beef industry and hating it

3 posts in this topic

Hi!

I am an international student doing an MSc in resource economics in Canada. Because I depend on the department for funding, I need to work as a research assistant. The project I was assigned to is about improving the beef industry using genomic information. I don't like the thesis because the rationale of the project is how to make the beef industry more efficient. I hate it because I know about the harms of the beef industry, and I am turning towards a plant-based diet myself. It's hard to motivate myself to work on this topic, so I have issues with procrastination. 

I have this moral dilemma. Should I drop the project and ask the department for something else? If I do, I won't necessarily find a new project because other profs may not like what I did. Also, some new incoming students will compete for those projects as well. Another option is to leave the department and apply for something else, but I don't know who will take me with this background. The ultimate downside is that I will have to leave Canada. This program is a good foothold in North America for me. 

Resource economics wasn't ever my heart's desire, it was a way to escape from my country. They pay for the program and I have some money left for living. The good news is I am debt-free. I am still looking for my Life Purpose. I study Data Science stuff on the side and also am checking out the local business incubator.      

What would be the right thing to do in your opinion? 

Maybe it’s an opportunity to fix the problems with the industry. You could prove how keeping animals happy is beneficial for the industry. Just an idea :)

I’d still look for ways how to get out of it and once you find a way then I’d leave this project.

I have an opinion on everything :D

8 hours ago, Shiva said:

I'm whatever you gain experience in more opportunities will open up in the future in that area. 

I'm not saying you should quit, but if you gain experience in the beef industry, more future opportunities will open up in the beef industry. If you gain experience in something else, opportunities will open up in something else.

Just keep that in mind when making a decision.

You're right...