Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
abundance

Meditation Practices and Sleep

4 posts in this topic

For those of you who meditate on a consistent basis, have you noticed any changes in your sleeping habits? Back when I meditated consistently, I noticed that I was able to fall as sleep with relative ease. I didn't have the constant monkey mind that I have now. Currently I am dealing with insomnia and it takes me at least an hour to ease my mind into sleep. I just started meditating consistently again but I am not able to regain the mental clarity that I once had that allowed me to ease my mind into sleep. I know it will take time since I have to retrain my mind all over again. 

What has been your experience with sleep and meditation?

I use this hour before sleep as méditation

Drawing is my way for sleeping

Draw a bit while listening audio and good night everyone

Edited by Aeris

Hi, meditation really helped my insomnia. Getting off to sleep has always been my problem. Once I'm asleep I'm usually okay. However my view of insomnia is that it is a day time condition manifesting at night (unless you work nights!).

So what I mean is that for me, insomnia tells me I am not handling my day time shit well enough. For me it doesn't matter if I practice good habits the one hour or two hours before bed (well it's better than nothing I suppose). What helps me is the dipping in and out of meditation during the day and evening. 

This could be as simple as 5mins four or five times a day but preferably 10mins four or five times a day. This could include things like mindful walking, mindful cleaning and mindfulness in the bath or shower. The more little stretches in the day the better i usually sleep. I found it all adds up to helping to control monkey mind. For me, multiple small meditations have a greater benefit than say one or two longer sessions.

Hope this makes sense. 

I also consider deep contemplation as a form of meditation. Also reading selected lines of inspirational text with high concentration is a form of meditation for me. Sometimes we need to clarify what we mean by meditation. 

I never actually practice do-nothing meditation. I always have one focus I give my attention. Sounds is a good one or the texture of something. 

Maybe it's worth experimenting with different techniques, especially at night to find one which helps you to get back the mental clarity. I tend to meditate formally late at night, just before sleep, due to having a busy life and fitting meditation into the remaining available time slots. Usually a variant on the do-nothing / choiceless awareness technique; It helps me to sleep at the expense of having a drowsy sitting.

Nick.

Everything is connected, but connections are only necessary from a fragmented point of view. What's the connection between two waves? The whole deep ocean which they are made of in the first place!