Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tarzan

Body scanning technique from vipassana retreat

4 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I just finished my first 10-day vipassana retreat. First days were rough as I was going in quite raw, I hadn't meditated a while before that and was hoping to kickstart my meditation practice again. 

I wanted to ask everyone who has attended the retreat and followed the technique how good is your progress with this technique. I'm not sure if I should follow it or use another technique. I have the kriya yoga book from Leo's book list but haven't yet begun reading it. I remember someone mentioning that you have to have developed your concentration skills before trying it out. I'm also familiar with the theoretical progress scheme of meditation (samatha and vipassana jhanas as described by Daniel Ingram in his book). Do you think its better to develop concentration (one-pointed concentration) by a separate technique at first to a high level and only then progress to insight practices? Or going straight for insight practice is fine, just letting concentration increase as you just push through distractions, mind-wanderings?

Both / neither - they’re the same if you create the perspective they’re the same, and use the practice to ‘go behind’ the created perspective. Start with a general simple bird’s eye view body scan, send the relax signal to the most tense muscle, likely the neck / shoulders or stomach / waistline for most. As you develop that “connection” / “inner awareness”, take it all the way ‘in’ to the pineal gland and the ‘breath’ in the stomach. Notice the ever improving quality of the arising thoughts along the way. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

Use this, very supportive. 

Buddham Sharanam Gacchami

Dhammam Sharanam Gacchami

Sangham Sharanam Gacchami 

Edited by Salvijus

18 hours ago, Tarzan said:

Hey guys, I just finished my first 10-day vipassana retreat. First days were rough as I was going in quite raw, I hadn't meditated a while before that and was hoping to kickstart my meditation practice again. 

I wanted to ask everyone who has attended the retreat and followed the technique how good is your progress with this technique. I'm not sure if I should follow it or use another technique. I have the kriya yoga book from Leo's book list but haven't yet begun reading it. I remember someone mentioning that you have to have developed your concentration skills before trying it out. I'm also familiar with the theoretical progress scheme of meditation (samatha and vipassana jhanas as described by Daniel Ingram in his book). Do you think its better to develop concentration (one-pointed concentration) by a separate technique at first to a high level and only then progress to insight practices? Or going straight for insight practice is fine, just letting concentration increase as you just push through distractions, mind-wanderings?

@Tarzan Hey, read the threads started by @ardacigin for some good pointers regarding concentration. For you who has just started out, the book The Mind Illuminated by Culadasa might be right up your alley as it will give you instructions on how to optimally raise your concentration in the beginning.

I started with Vipassana 10 day retreat aswell. If you resonate with the technique and feel like you want to do it, stick with it. It is a good technique, imo. Focus on concentration in the beginning as well. Like the anapana practice you were taught.