playdoh

Spiral Dynamics any green states besides California & NYC?

41 posts in this topic

Looking to make a move back to the States after being abroad for a few years. Is there anywhere green in the U.S besides these 2? I've done my research and a lot of the more progressive places that have caught my eye still have conservative tendencies like Colorado, Charlotte and Raliegh, NC (religion), and Upstate NY. So I suppose they wouldn't be categorized level green spiral Dynamics, perhaps high orange. 

I would like to be in a conscious place, with nice nature/outdoor activities, good cost of living, somewhere good for singles (mid 30's straight male), access to city ammenities like places to do yoga and medical facilities and good job market and economic growth. Not to much to ask for right? Anywhere that's fits the bill?!

P.S. Love California but too expensive. 

Edit: maybe Pittsburgh is green? 

Edited by playdoh

Austin, Seattle, Oregon.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Thankssss. I'll look more into Austin. Considered Portland and Seattle but they rain more than half the year. Didn't mind rain before, but moved to a city in Asia and it rained for 4 months straight. Was miserable. Never again! 

Austin has gotten quite expensive with the droves of people moving in. I'll still keep it on my radar though.

Anymore feedback about other cities would be appreciated, if it exists. Thanks in advance. 

Green cities will be expensive cause people like to live there.

44 minutes ago, kieranperez said:

Denver & Boulder Colorado

Thanks I've looked into these cities but as I mentioned Colorado is known to be quite conservative, so don't think it's green. 

9 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Green cities will be expensive cause people like to live there.

@Leo Gura

Precisely. Is Austin a known Spiral Dynamic's green city or is that your opinion?

Any other green places in the US besides Austin, Oregon, Seattle, California and NYC? Been looking into Pittsburgh, don't know enough about it yet but seems to have some green potential

https://realestate.usnews.com/places/pennsylvania/pittsburgh

Edited by playdoh
Added link

@playdoh I'd imagine that most major US cities would have enough hip, socially-conscious Green people and events on that it would be possible to maintain a Green lifestyle. Places like Chicago, Pittsburg, Atlanta, St. Louis, Detroit, etc. would have lots of Green places in them, even if they're not as holistically Green like Seattle or San Francisco.

EDIT: I'll just add that this is essentially what I do. I come from a major stage Orange city (not in the US but similar to US in lifestyle) but I mostly hang around the Green areas, and so am able to keep at a Green level of being.

Edited by Apparation of Jack

“All you need is Love” - John Lennon

1 hour ago, playdoh said:

Thanks I've looked into these cities but as I mentioned Colorado is known to be quite conservative, so don't think it's green. 

Lol Boulder and Denver are some of the most green areas in the country. This is coming from someone who lives in San Francisco. 

Im mentioning CITIES. Not the entire state itself. Colorado isn’t a totally conservative state either. Colorado was the first state to legalize weed so I don’t eeally know what you’re talking about lol.

I think the idea is that its sort of painful to live around a lot of blue and orange people.  Green people are the least painful people to live around that there are a lot of.  I live in a dense blue/orange area with some green, and the vibe can literally feel painful at times, although I'm starting to overcome that.  I would like to live in the pacific northwest, although I have considered organizing all sorts of festivals in my town to inject some more life into it.

I live in an intentional community in Washington with inexpensive rent. 

That's a super green situation.

But also kind of a lucky situation.

Washington and Oregon have many green pockets. 

CA has A LOT of Stage Orange, so be careful. I was born and raised in Southern California and would never move back.

Edited by eskwire

nothing is anything

@Mulky That is a good way to put it.

Highly recommend moving away from Blue and Orange areas.

You can organize a Green event, meet a few friends, but friendships are tenuous at best.

Very shallow, easy to break. 

Friendships are for joy, not need. 

Blue and Orange places have festivals anyway, but the people are still the same. 

They are just partying. 

nothing is anything

@playdoh Check out Vermont, parts of it are very green. Southern Maine too. There are lots of green pocket areas all over the country if you're willing to live in a smaller city. 

Edited by mandyjw

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

@playdoh There are no green-centered states, there are greenish areas within each state. Some states have more greenish areas than others. Personally, I’d rather live in a city/county at a higher conscious level and have a workplace at a higher conscious level. Most people spend the majority of their time in a 50 mile radius of their home/work. . . State laws can have an impact, yet the town/city dynamics has a much larger impact imo. 

I’d much rather live in a greenish city like Ann Arbor, MI than a blue/orangish city like Fresno, CA - even though California would be considered higher on the SD scale than Michigan.

Fucking Fresno! Some meth addict broke into my car in Fresno and stole $3000 worth of gear.

Fresno is the meth capital of the US. Stay out of Fresno.

Come to live in the "Golan" heights in North Israel and absorb green mentality (and snow from the "hermon" mountain during the winter) ???☃️❄

🌻 Stage Yellow emerges when Green starts to have tolerance and respect to the variety of views within HIMSELF. Israelis here? Let me know!

31 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Fucking Fresno! Some meth addict broke into my car in Fresno and stole $3000 worth of gear.

Fresno is the meth capital of the US. Stay out of Fresno.

As shady as Fresno is, the capital is hands down Eureka in Humboldt County.

@Apparation of Jack I know what you mean. But in the end if one can afford it I think it would be better to be in a holistically green city as you say. If your looking at it in a cost effective manner, then yeah you can move to an orange/blue city with pockets of green. But no matter who you hangout with and what you do with your day in and day out, we are products of our environment and will be effected by those pockets of orange and blue. So best be in a holistically green city I think! I'm looking at Austin and so far I like what I see... And by the way when I said California I mean San Diego, I guess it's quite green no?

22 hours ago, Mulky said:

I think the idea is that its sort of painful to live around a lot of blue and orange people.  Green people are the least painful people to live around that there are a lot of.  I live in a dense blue/orange area with some green, and the vibe can literally feel painful at times, although I'm starting to overcome that.  I would like to live in the pacific northwest, although I have considered organizing all sorts of festivals in my town to inject some more life into it.

I so know what you mean. Living in a third world blue country. Really hurts to be here.