Joseph Maynor

What Does Confidence Mean to You: I Find This Concept Confusing

8 posts in this topic

I wanna find a way to nail down what Confidence means insofar as our work in personal/interpersonal development is concerned.

Slightly negative spin on it here and not directly helpful to your question possibly, but it reminded me of a quote I read somewhere and I wish I could remember who wrote it; confidence is often more a reflection of someone's personality than their skill level which I interpret as; don't confuse confidence with competence. I am speaking more about other people presenting confidence to you. Like a male animal displaying to a female. Happens a lot on this forum, but happens a lot everywhere I guess. Perhaps pseudo-confidence? 

I think the confidence I refer to is not a necessarily a conscious decision to "fake" confidence, but the person actually believes they are good enough and skilled enough to present their confidence as genuine confidence. They may even feel confident.

Also reminds me of a very funny term I read somewhere, I think it's based on a research article; unskilled and unaware. These people can be dangerous. 

Our belief in our ability to cope with the situation and assert our needs/wants when applicable. 

45 minutes ago, Bill W said:

These people can be dangerous. 

xD i can only wonder what you mean by this

3 minutes ago, Knock said:

Our belief in our ability to cope with the situation and assert our needs/wants when applicable. 

damn nice and clean, i like how you used "cope", that about sums it up

Confidence is definitely influenced by a lot of factors, specifically one's mental/emotional state and system of beliefs 

@Joseph Maynor it is the absence of self doubt.  Take doubt away and you have complete certainty.  If you have complete certainty there is no longer fear.

Oh my God, it's One.

2 hours ago, DrewNows said:

xD i can only wonder what you mean by this

damn nice and clean, i like how you used "cope", that about sums it up

Confidence is definitely influenced by a lot of factors, specifically one's mental/emotional state and system of beliefs 

Nope. 'Cope' isn't the best word.

It implies that you are under the mercy of someone else to make a deal/situation better.

You don't have to rely on anyone for money/worth if you have real confidence.

10 minutes ago, hyruga said:

Nope. 'Cope' isn't the best word.

It implies that you are under the mercy of someone else to make a deal/situation better.

You don't have to rely on anyone for money/worth if you have real confidence.

What if we use knowledge to cope with exam questions? What if we use money to buy water to cope with our desire for water? Is this not able to create confidence? (The certainty of handling a situation)