Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
aclokay

How do you define health?

7 posts in this topic

I've been getting into researching diets, as a type 1 diabetic, it's pretty much so essential.

And I've reached many many many controversies, this is worse than non-duality!

And I've realized that I don't even know what health is! I'm trying to come up with a definition for myself, and would like to hear how other people would define that.

Is it about feeling good? Having recommended blood test results?

Here are some good videos with a great explanation of Health

You could break it down to just feeling good, everyone has different views and standards to what they think is healthy. So the question is, how do you want to be healthy? What do YOU need to feel good? 

The how is what you build, the why is in your heart. 

To me it comes down to being at ease

Sailing on the ceiling 

Health means that your body, mind and spirit are in total balance.

Life is what happens to you while you’re busy making other plans.

I like Ron Teeguarden of Dragon Herbs as he defines it:

HEALTH BEYOND DANGER

Radiant health, the highest level of health a person can attain, is defined as "health beyond danger." In other words, the person is so internally strong and adaptive as to be able to adapt to virtually all normal stresses, as well as many extreme stresses, and is thus capable of overcoming most serious dangers. My teacher, Sung Jin Park, emphasized that protection is one of the primary characteristics of health, and the higher the level of protection the better. When one's protection has reached the stage of "health beyond danger," then one has achieved radiant health.

There are many Chinese tonic herbs that strengthen the body's resistance. Thousands of active components in the various herbs influence the human immune system. In particular, the tonics are rich in substances that "modulate," or regulate, the immune system. Regular consumption of a major immune-modulating herb, or a collection of herbs with modulating capacity, gradually builds up a person's resistance. I have seen hundreds of people who were immune deficient and thus prone to chronic colds and other infections. After taking the tonics for several months, their immune systems showed tremendous improvement. After taking the herbs for a year or so, they became highly resistant to common colds and flus.

People find it amazing. It's this kind of response to the herbs that makes me think that the tonics are really foods that the body requires. It seems that without the herbs, the immune system is underfed. With the herbs in the diet, the immune system flourishes. The combination of factors found in the tonic herbs makes them an indispensable nutritional requirement. They replenish Primal Essence, they provide the energy to adapt to the stresses in our environment, and they protect us. They can even strengthen our willpower. Radiant health is much more easily attainable if we are truly nourished, and these great tonic herbs provide a form of nourishment found only rarely in nature.

Blood tests are defo not health indicator. It is a snapshot in time and it does not even measure things like energetics and frequency/vital force. A lot of things on blood tests could be misinterpreted or you simply don't catch what you were after E.g. Folate can easily hide B12 deficiency "which will only become obvious once your myelin sheath starts getting irreversibly destroyed and you lose function of your legs "and regular test for B12 is completely unreliable. Low ferritin does not necessarily mean needing to take iron supplements but could be a sign of infection or internal bleeding. Cholesterol readings do not take LDL/HDL particle size into concern not do they measure any inflammatory markers. Blood pressure monitoring is often skewed due to "white coat syndrome" 

Health is hard to define by scientific measures and th best way is a self-observation

Anyways, here are few question you can ask to define for yourself

1. How is your energy in the morning? Throughout the day and at night? 
  2. How is your sleep? Do you get 8 uninterrupted hours?
  3. How is your long term memory? 
  4. Can you concentrate effortlessly? 
  5. Can you go through day without coffee? How about a whole week caffeine free?
  6. How is your skin? (Acne, Psoriasis, Eczemas/dermatitis, dry skin )
  7. How are your nails (white spots, brittle/breaking, lots of linear cracks and marks)
  8. What does your tongue look like (bitemarks on side, heavy coating, yellow coating, hairy, lot of cracks)
  9. How are your teeth? Lot of yellow plaque? Cavities? Mercury Fillings? Do your gums bleed when brushing? Does your breath smell bad often? 
  10. How is your libido? Problems getting it up sometimes? 
  11. Do you keep losing hair? 
  12. Do you have good sense of smell and taste? 
  13. Do you have any -itis? (inflammatory disease)
  14. Do you suffer from an autoimmune disease? 
  15. Do you get bloated often? 
  16. Do you have any allergies or intolerances? 
  17. Do you poop 3 times a day? 
  18. Does your head spin when you stand up rapidly? 
  19. Do you exercise at least 10 hours a week? (includes walking)
  20. Is your body fat content above 20% (25-30 for ladies) Or is it below 5% (dangerously low
  21. Can you touch your toes? Do you see your penis without pulling back your belly? 
  22. Can you plank for 5 minutes? 
  23. Can you do 40+ pushups? 
  24. Can you do 5 pullups? 
  25. Can you hold a deep squad (butt as close to ground as possible) for 2 minutes? 
  26. Can you run 5 miles at 100+ heart rate without a break
  27. Does your lower back hurt often? Do your knees hurt often? Do you get stiff neck often? 

Edited by Michael569

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus