kieranperez

Richard Feynman on the problem with asking “why?”

59 posts in this topic

@Serotoninluv

Okay, I understand better now.

I get it that many of the things I said are relative and that I have constructed them using logic and language. However, I expressed my definitions and was expecting to get yours in return. I'm not rigid about my definitions, if I find yours better at describing reality, then I'll take them. If not, then I'll just stick to my definitions until something better comes up.

Language is just a pointer. We both understand this. Let's not move away from our original discussion.

How do you view selflessness?

Edited by Truth Addict

1 hour ago, Truth Addict said:

@Serotoninluv

I'm not rigid about my definitions, if I find yours better at describing reality, then I'll take them. If not, then I'll just stick to my definitions until something better comes up.

My mind isn’t quite oriented like that and I don’t do well in that type of dialog. I’m oriented more toward observation and exploration than output or destination. 

8 hours ago, Angelite said:

Why do you wanna be immortal?

I never wanted to.

It just happens to be Truth.

7 hours ago, Truth Addict said:

I'm not sure. I mean theoritcally, cells can keep reproducing forever, but right now they're programmed to age with time. Maybe in the future, the form of a human being can get modified instead of dying?

You have yet to realize the Buddha's central teaching of Annica or Impermanence.

Reality is designed in such a way that no from can be permanent.

Maybe the ultimate goal of everything is to make form immortal as well? I believe that to be a possibility.

The ultimate goal is to realize that there is no difference between form and formlessness.

But to realize this requires surrender of attachment to form.

So again, the entry fee of immortality is death.

Immortality cannot be attained through physical means, it must be attained through spiritual realization. The problem of death is not a physical one the way materialists assume, it is a metaphysical one. You must realize that material reality is imaginary. That your own birth is imaginary. Then you will be free.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

10 hours ago, Leo Gura said:
15 hours ago, RendHeaven said:

This is precisely why I've always been skeptical of the Greek Pantheon, by the way. Supposedly each individual god is immortal, but they all act like neurotic man-babies.

I still wonder what the Pantheon is supposed to be a metaphor for. I struggle to see any nondual implications (whereas the Hindu gods, for example, are clearly facets of the same Whole).

It's a metaphor for the human psyche.

Wow. Duh. That's so obvious now! Thank you Leo.

We as humans are just like the Greek gods... immortal, neurotic man-babies.

I wonder if the creators of this myth understood the literalness of immortality.

It's Love.

@RendHeaven

"If triangles had a god, they would give him three sides." -- Montesquieu

;)

@RendHeaven Also, the Greeks had many gods, but one ultimate God: Zeus

Just like the Hindus have a bunch of different avatars, but one ultimate God: Shiva

"One thing, the only wise thing, is unwilling and willing to be called by the name Zeus." -- Heraclitus

When you understand this quote, you will be awake.

Consider it your Greek koan ;)

The Greeks were no fools. They were some wise-ass motherfuckers.

"If triangles had a god, they would give him three sides." -- Montesquieu

Well that explains why God always seems to have a dick. 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

On 31/07/2019 at 8:12 PM, Leo Gura said:

No!

There is definitely a reason why reality is precisely how it is.

To dismiss this as "mind" is to make one of the biggest mistakes possible: it is to never realize why you created reality.

Rather a shame not to know that.

You honestly believe reality is here without a why? All of this precise structure and complexity with no explanation?? Just randomness? Just experience?

Ha! Don't be gullible.

But to ask ‘why’ is assuming that reality could’ve been some other way, which is just a fantasy.

For me, the reason ‘why reality is precisely the way it is,’ is because any alternatives to this reality is just your fantasy. 

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

3 hours ago, How to be wise said:

For me, the reason ‘why reality is precisely the way it is,’ is because any alternatives to this reality is just your fantasy.

There is a deeper reason.

@mandyjw

Damn your perverted mind! xD

@Leo Gura

I view it as there's no fixed reason for everyone, the reason is whatever you are, in order for everyone to find God. The point of the ride is the ride, that's God-realisation.

Edited by Truth Addict

@Truth Addict I'm trying to point you to something deeper that you can realize.

But for that to work you have to be willing to open your mind beyond what you presently know. And you have to be willing to take such existential question as "Why is reality the way it is?" seriously.

If you believe the question isn't worthwhile to contemplate, then you will get no answer and you will not even know what treasures you missed.

It's like there's a pile of flawless diamonds buried under your bed but you are too incredulous to get a shovel and dig under your bed. I'm telling you guys there's a pile of diamonds here which you have not yet discovered.

10 hours ago, How to be wise said:

Any alternatives to this reality is just your fantasy. 

It's a thought/visualization in the Cognitive Body.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

25 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

@Truth Addict I'm trying to point you to something deeper that you can realize.

But for that to work you have to be willing to open your mind beyond what you presently know. And you have to be willing to take such existential question as "Why is reality the way it is?" seriously.

If you believe the question isn't worthwhile to contemplate, then you will get no answer and you will not even know what treasures you missed.

It's like there's a pile of flawless diamonds buried under your bed but you are too incredulous to get a shovel and dig under your bed. I'm telling you guys there's a pile of diamonds here which you have not yet discovered.

Nice! Do I really have to work towards it or is it possible to just stumble upon it one day? I don't have a strong desire to dig deeper, at least not at the moment.

On 31/07/2019 at 0:49 PM, How to be wise said:

The problem with asking ‘why is reality precisely the way it is’ is that this question is coming from the mind. There’s nothing wrong with the mind, but the mind is less than reality. More precisely, the mind is a subset of reality. Because you can be in a no-mind state where the mind disappears and reality remains. And pure reality (without the mind) cannot ask ‘why’. It just is. There are no questions. And this is the ultimate truth.

Truth is not that. Why you keep thinking and writting here then ? It's 'lesser'.

The meaning is Infinite but the mind really work.

It is not a misstake. 

On 31/07/2019 at 9:12 PM, Leo Gura said:

No!

There is definitely a reason why reality is precisely how it is.

To dismiss this as "mind" is to make one of the biggest mistakes possible: it is to never realize why you created reality.

Rather a shame not to know that.

You honestly believe reality is here without a why? All of this precise structure and complexity with no explanation?? Just randomness? Just experience?

Ha! Don't be gullible.

Maybe to know if she is worth living ?