krockerman

Afraid to take psycadelics because of risk of ruin my life

33 posts in this topic

I am afraid to take psycadelics because of the risk of getting a mental illnes. My friends mothers brothers ex smoked weed and got mental. @Leo Gura i want to trip but i am afraid to be at a mental hospital for the rest of my life

listen all the video of leo before doing psychedelics, until it becomes a real choice and a reflected one; Don't do them if you're not knowing what you set your mind for.

32 minutes ago, krockerman said:

I am afraid to take psycadelics because of the risk of getting a mental illnes. My friends mothers brothers ex smoked weed and got mental. @Leo Gura i want to trip but i am afraid to be at a mental hospital for the rest of my life

Do you have mental illness in your family, or are you mentally unwell? 

The risks to mental health from using psychedelics is greatly overblown. However, if you do have real mental health issues, it advisable to stay away from them outside of a professional therapeutic setting.

Users of psychedelics show higher degrees of mental health than the average population (even when controlled for the usual conflating factors like income, age, etc).

Check out this article: https://www.thecut.com/2015/03/truth-about-psychedelics-and-mental-illness.html

And this one: https://bigthink.com/ideafeed/study-alcohol-worse-for-mental-health-than-psychedelics

I've taken over well over 100 trips in my lifetime, over the last 25 years. I've had hundreds of friends who use/have used psychedelics. I'm convinced they are of tremendous benefit to humanity on the whole.

How to get to infinity? Divide by zero.

42 minutes ago, krockerman said:

You don't have to do it if you don't feel you want it.

Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you?
1 Corinthians 3:16

@outlandish So people with mental healt issues are fucked its like people with mental health issues are in worst position possible

Who teaches us whats real and how to laugh at lies? Who decides why we live and what we'll die to defend?Who chain us? And who holds the Key that can set us free? 

It's you.

You have all the weapons you need 

Now fight.

8 minutes ago, abrakamowse said:

You don't have to do it if you don't feel you want it.

Yes thank you that's the important message here.

I mean to say that if you want to do it, but fear over mental health issues are holding you back (and you have none pre-existing), you probably don't need to worry because most of the time psychedelics improve mental health.

6 minutes ago, NoSelfSelf said:

@outlandish So people with mental healt issues are fucked its like people with mental health issues are in worst position possible

Mental health issues are tricky and need lots of support from community and professionals. It's risky to try to self-medicate real mental health issues with psychedelics. Very minor mental health issues that we all have (neuroses that are the mental equivalent of scrapes and bumps) are well suited to self-healing with psychedelics under the right intention, set and setting.

How to get to infinity? Divide by zero.

42 minutes ago, outlandish said:

I mean to say that if you want to do it, but fear over mental health issues are holding you back

I agree Outlandish, I said it because I had mental issues in the past. But I want to add that all "mental issues" are part of us growing and understanding our higher self. 

some of us are better prepared, but I had to pass through it without any "preparation" and without knowing anything about the dark night of the soul, I was completely deluded about the thought process, etc. And that lead me to a psychotic episode.

Once I understood that I am not the thinker, and that any thought can affect me I began to grow spiritually. But I know is difficult.

We create reality, if we "think" we will go crazy, if we believe that thought, it may happen.

the best antidote is to know that nothing bad can happen to you, and that you are separated from thoughts and the thought process can do whatever it want, it wont change what you really are.

Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you?

1 hour ago, outlandish said:

Do you have mental illness in your family, or are you mentally unwell? 

The risks to mental health from using psychedelics is greatly overblown. However, if you do have real mental health issues, it advisable to stay away from them outside of a professional therapeutic setting.

Users of psychedelics show higher degrees of mental health than the average population (even when controlled for the usual conflating factors like income, age, etc).

Check out this article: https://www.thecut.com/2015/03/truth-about-psychedelics-and-mental-illness.html

And this one: https://bigthink.com/ideafeed/study-alcohol-worse-for-mental-health-than-psychedelics

I've taken over well over 100 trips in my lifetime, over the last 25 years. I've had hundreds of friends who use/have used psychedelics. I'm convinced they are of tremendous benefit to humanity on the whole.

I am feeling Good and my mum said we don’t have any serious mental illnesses in my family. I would love to try shrooms and lsd But i am afraid i might ruin my life

@krockerman  Why don't you just try meditation? Half hour everyday will help a lot. You don't have to try psychedelics from the beginning.

Edited by abrakamowse

Just now, abrakamowse said:

@krockerman  Why don't you just try meditation? Half hour everyday will help a lot. You don't have to try psychedelics from the beginning.

I have Done that for a Long time. I want to try But i am afraid to end up in a mental hospital

@krockerman Did Something happen to you that make you think of that possibility?

Edited by abrakamowse

@krockerman Here's 2 studies for you :

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/0269881114568039

Psychedelics not linked to mental health problems or suicidal behavior. This study was done on 135000 persons.

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/0269881114565653

Classic psychedelic use is associated with reduced psychological distress and suicidality in the United States adult population. This study was done on 190000 persons.

Do you have a history of mental illness in your familly? Do you show any kind of mental illness yourself? If no, then you are most likely fine. I'm not saying there is no risk, of course there are, but following a strict harm-reduction protocol reduces them dramatically.

Edited by FredFred

Breathing in, I calm my body.

Breathing out, I smile.

Psychedelics do not cause mental illness. This is mostly fearmongering.

If you have an existing mental illness perhaps psychedics can make it worse. Perhaps. But they could also cure it.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

This is a very personal issue because you know yourself best. There is a risk to psychedelics but they are very much in a minority. Are you aware of how many risks you take in your day to day life? 

If you are below 18 don't take them. Wait until your early 20s at least. That'll help you. 

Do you get triggered and or upset at things easy or would you say you are quite capable of dealing with intense things? 

Your ability to surrender is a big thing here. Getting really high is a good benchmark I think since it's duration is way lower. 

7 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

If you have an existing mental illness perhaps psychedics can make it worse. Perhaps. But they could also cure it.

Do you have any idea as to why psychedelics are able to cure a pre-existing mental illness? Is it the power of Recontextualisation? 

Or is the why completely irrelevant following the 'curing'. 

18 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

They mostly will raise awareness of the emotions and physical sensations from my experience and that can be hard for some people because then this experience makes it hard for the mind to work with everything and t can set it off thinking negatively. 

I'm sensitive and feel like I was transported back in time a bit from ayahuasca in terms of being more in tune with my body and emotions. I feel like antidepressants made me sort of numb to emotions even after being off them for over a year and psychadelics have sort of stripped that away and gave me emotional awareness which can now be reformed like clay into something positive. Thing is I have PTSD symptoms and some stuff I'm working through but at the same time when I do a hypnosis or a somatic experience it is much more strong. I'm not sure if I should consider doing more psychedelics because I'm worried about intensity and if it will increase negative feelings or if I will have a massive release. Before I felt sort of blocked and like there was a ton of blindness and tension in my body. I'm hoping with regular body/emotion practices that I can raise my base line mood overall and feel less fear.

I don't think people with schizophrenia or documented intense mental illnesses should do them alone and only in a clinical setting with an actual doctor. 

Edited by SunnyNewDay

Psychedelics are a useful tool on the Path if you're fortunate enough to be able to experiment with them.  I'm not sure of the risks of over doing them though.  I only trip like once every 6 months.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

12 minutes ago, Brenzo2 said:

Do you have any idea as to why psychedelics are able to cure a pre-existing mental illness? Is it the power of Recontextualisation? 

Or is the why completely irrelevant following the 'curing'. 

They can reset the nervous system I think and release stored stress in it aka trauma. From there a person feels great and is able to have clear thoughts and thus their negative beliefs evaporate. I think it's a bit more complex than this and can be interpreted in different ways but from a scientific perspective I believe this is accurate. 

"Buddhism is for losers and those who will die one day."

-- Kenneth Folk

@krockerman If you don’t have issues with mental illness and don’t have a strong strong family history of mental illness, the risks are very very low, unless you start off with monster doses.

As well, you seem to be in an either / or mentality when you say “I’m afraid of taking psychedelics”. What does this mean? If that means taking 1,000 ug of LSD, using psychedelics three times a day everyday or tripping in Grand Central Station N.Y. during rush hour - then I would be afraid as well. 

You can microdose or min-dose. You can dose one time or once every six months. Perhaps a mini-dose once every few months feels right for you. Or perhaps a mini-dose opens a door and you feel curious to explore more. Or maybe not. . . The mind loves to create problems that don’t exist. If you are curious, try a few micro or mini doses and see how it goes. The risk here is much lower than the risk of eating unwashed fruits and vegetables.