Elisabeth

A higher "stage of moral development" doesn't make you more moral

5 posts in this topic

Leo happened to talk about Kohlberg's stages of moral development in his politics video. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence_Kohlberg's_stages_of_moral_development

Please note that growing through these levels of cognitive development doesn't actually make you more willing or able to do the right thing. This is a separate effort.

The few last minutes of an excellent lecture by Robert Sapolsky talking about it:

1 hour ago, Elisabeth said:

Please note that growing through these levels of cognitive development doesn't actually make you more willing or able to do the right thing. This is a separate effort.

I don't think it's even possible to grow through these stages without becoming more selfless by time.

However, the expression of that selflessness can vary greatly between people due to many factors, including education and past traumas etc...

Also, I believe we're talking about doing the 'right thing' in relation to us as human beings, if that's what you mean, which is an intermediate, not the ultimate stage.

Edited by Truth Addict

@Elisabeth He specifically makes a distinction of “moral reasoning” and gives examples of high level moral reasoning of morality in academics. This would still be an Orange stage of development. A very deep level of Orange. 

One line of development is reasoning. Another line of development is embodiment. A person can have a high level of reasoning without embodiment. It doesn’t surprise me at all that someone restricted to rational morality wouldn’t act on it if they are still within a self-centered mode motivated to meet self needs. That moral reasoning could actually be used to manipulate and justify their own immoral acts.  In terms of SD developing through Green into tier 2 is crucial for the embodiment of that reasoning and integration if various modes of being, such as intuition and empathy. 

15 hours ago, Elisabeth said:

Leo happened to talk about Kohlberg's stages of moral development in his politics video. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence_Kohlberg's_stages_of_moral_development

The few last minutes of an excellent lecture by Robert Sapolsky talking about it:

I want to rewatch everything. But this is a bit old.

I m hungry for audio teaching.

Robert Sapolsky introduction is great. Will listen again prob it has been years.

Does some of you has better content in the same veins ? Would be grateful.

Edited by Aeris