Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bmcnicho

Will Artificial Intelligence Cause Society to Collapse?

4 posts in this topic

In Leo's conscious politics series, he seems to have a positive vision of the future, yet I see the possibility that artificial intelligence could cause a collapse before much of that would be able to happen.  I'm not against artificial intellience or transhumanism in theory, since I understand that every form must someday surpass itself.  Yet it's hard for me to see a scenario of artificial intelligence working out well at our current level of consciousness 

Many of the people producing AI seem to be rushing to be the first ones to build it with little regard for safety.  In addition to the possibility of terrifying technical problems, there's the issue of the motivations of the people building it.  What would a corporation like Google do with that level of power?(Especially considering that if the AI is designed to improve itself, it could exponentially increase to unimaginable levels of intelligence)

Also, with our current geopolitical situation, imagine what would happen if some countries had it and others didn't.  An unstoppable empire could form, and other countries might resort to nuclear weapons out of sheer desperation.

Artificial intelligence would also facilitate the development of other technologies, so even at the level of individuals, imagine what would happen if you could step into a simulator and effortlessly produce anything you wanted.  It would be pure, unchecked, hedonic unconsciousness and there'd be very little insentive for anyone to develop themselves.

It's possible that my pessimism is coming from a lack of consciousness, since Reality as God is Good as an absolute.  Yet, large scale collapses aren't unprecedented.  The fall of the Roman Empire and the Bronze Age Collapse each set humanity back a thousand years.  It seems to me a similar collapse is imminent, and it could be unimaginably devastating.

I suppose it's possible that our culture could develop enough so that we'd decide to delay AI until it could be done safely.  Yet some estimates say that AI could be created as early as 2029, so this seems higly unlikely. 

It's also possible that the AI would somehow end up being at a higher level of consciousness then its creators, and would essentially act as a benevolent god that could solve these problems for us.  Yet intelligence doesn't necessarily correspond with consciousness, and creations tend to be a reflection of their creators.

@Leo Gura You tend to speak about the future as if a collapse isn't imminent, so what's the possitive scenario here?  It could be that this topic is so radical that our imagination and intuitions are largely irrelevant 

I don't know but my gut tell me things are about to get very interesting. day 1 on neuralink. I just wish to throw real fire ball.

I'll look on answering a more constructed answer on the question.

I m neutral on AI

I think there will be pro/cons and cons could turn wrong easily though. 

Some music for the topic

If you're talking about stage 2 AI or above, it will most likely not be commanded by anyone nor will it comply to low consciousness desires, more dangerous than AI is neuralink which could make way for stage orange and red, especially with people either not understanding it enough to challenge it or just believing that they will conform and be fine

6 hours ago, bmcnicho said:

and would essentially act as a benevolent god that could solve these problems for us

I want to know how A.I would possibly view humans as a collective positive. 

Remember this thing wont have feels just cold calculations.