Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Blake

What is wrong with experiencing dualities?

6 posts in this topic

Is the idea that we should experience non-duality or just understand it? As a human-being, do we not HAVE TO distinguish between things (eg. my experience vs the experience and thoughts of others which are not in my experience). Being everything at once (or being nothing) would be an experience of non-dualism but then you can't distinguish between anything and that seems like a kind of stupid thing to aim for - and the quickest path to this kind of enlightenment would be to kill yourself.

So shouldn't we be completely fine with dualities and our ability to distinguish between things?

Thoughts on this?

Edited by Blake

@Blake One of the reasons to aim to experience non-duality is to realize the absolute truth which has value in itself. This is an experience that is not permanent and people come back to their normal ego mind. Then they can reevaluate all their own dualities and make themself a more wholesome person in doing so. 

The problem arises when we aim for permanent nondual experience of the world. This is the problem of seeking enlightenment. We experience a nondual state of being that we classify as better than our normal dual experience. We create a separation between dual and nondual and since nonduality contains all of duality within itself it creates a conflict in our mind that it unresolvable in nature.

If you are not fine with dualities you are creating a duality.

I think enlightened beings are completely fine with duality because they can clearly see it is part of nonduality. But how they transcend to this kind of consciousness I have no idea. 

3 hours ago, Blake said:

Is the idea that we should experience non-duality or just understand it? As a human-being, do we not HAVE TO distinguish between things (eg. my experience vs the experience and thoughts of others which are not in my experience). Being everything at once (or being nothing) would be an experience of non-dualism but then you can't distinguish between anything and that seems like a kind of stupid thing to aim for - and the quickest path to this kind of enlightenment would be to kill yourself.

So shouldn't we be completely fine with dualities and our ability to distinguish between things?

Thoughts on this?

That is a caricature of enlightenment by deluded wannabes.

Nondual enlightenment is not an age regressed state of early childhood. It is all oneness for a 6 months old baby who is unable to distinguish anything and basically tripping perpetually on all over reality. 

The enlightenment nondual traditions talk about is not that.

So relax. You won't and possibly can't get back to being that mindless flashball once again. You already outgrew it. Or maybe you can...if you delude yourself so hard ?

Edited by Preetom

''Not this...

Not this...

PLEASE...Not this...''

Where and what does duality emerge from? There's no need or right or wrongness. 

@Blake You describe it as if one “flips” back and forth between dual and nondual. Ime, its not quite like that. 

15 hours ago, Blake said:

Thoughts on this?

So what is your experience? Care to put it to the test?