Kushu2000

Suggestion for Leo.. please fix this

12 posts in this topic

Attached videos/usernames to whom u want to reply to (for example @Shin) cannot be deleted. At least on the android phone.

From now on, ask anyone who claims to be god in this forum to fix this issue without all these gymnastics.

It seems even teh god of gods Leo is unable to fix it ?

''Not this...

Not this...

PLEASE...Not this...''

This forum software is too tricky for even God to fix.

The reason it, this is a 3rd party platform. Which means I can't just go in there and make changes to the code willy-nilly because the code needs to be upgradable, making changes very tricky as new upgrades override old changes.

Basically we are stuck with the forum as-is with only minor cosmetic changes. And even those are problematic as they get overridden.

And because the code is so complex, every new update introduces new bugs and problems even if it solves old ones. So there's no perfection in this game.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo Gura Could move to better forum software and migrate all posts with a script. 

I'm a fan of discourse. 

@Mikael89 I'm on android and have it. I have to do the solution posted above. 

2 minutes ago, Shadowraix said:

Could move to better forum software and migrate all posts with a script.

Ha! If only life worked so easy.

This is one of the best forum softwares available. Months of work went into setting it up and getting to function well. Lots of money was paid to customize it for our needs.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

16 minutes ago, Shadowraix said:

@Leo Gura Could move to better forum software and migrate all posts with a script.

xD You clearly have never dealt with SQL on such a large scale. Oh how naive of you.

3 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Ha! If only life worked so easy.

This is one of the best forum softwares available. Months of work went into setting it up and getting to function well. Lots of money was paid to customize it for our needs.

It does nothing special though? (Compared to other available forum software) At least not to users interacting with it. Discourse functions and feels way better than this forum. This forum isn't even optimal for mobile use as seen by this thread. Far from the best imo feels like it was made in 2005 when phpbb was the best thing out there. This isn't a bash on you but feedback so you can improve the user experience. 

As far as discourse goes the open source importer scripts make a great starting point.

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/tree/master/script/import_scripts

There's also this: https://meta.discourse.org/t/migrating-from-invision-power-board-to-discourse/34639

There's a ton of people who will help or even import for you for free. There are plenty of alternatives than something like Ip.Board/Invision that also gives you the freedom to host your forum anywhere you want. Knowing how to code is an incredibly useful skill and will save you a lot of hassle, and money.

3 hours ago, Lynnel said:

xD You clearly have never dealt with SQL on such a large scale. Oh how naive of you.

don't know about you but I always design my projects to be clean and have a lot of flexibility so I won't struggle with a larger scale. People convert/import their forums all the time with more data than this forum. Its why discourse has importer scripts. If you are having issues, that is a sign of bad design imo. 

Edited by Shadowraix

@Mikael89 Only one I've seen better is Reddit. Now that I think about it, having an Actualized.org subreddit would be pretty neat.

@Leo Gura I've wanted to say this for quite a while, and now seems a good time.

I am incredibly grateful for the forum, the blog, all your videos and especially the booklist. I see lots of ungrateful posts, here and also in the YouTube comments. Just know that, for every troll, there is probably like 100 people who's lifes you've absolutely transformed.
And I can appreciate how much work and dedication it must've cost. Unbelievable, inspiring amounts of vision must have been necessary. Thank you! <3

1 hour ago, Enizeo said:

@Leo Gura I've wanted to say this for quite a while, and now seems a good time.

I am incredibly grateful for the forum, the blog, all your videos and especially the booklist. I see lots of ungrateful posts, here and also in the YouTube comments. Just know that, for every troll, there is probably like 100 people who's lifes you've absolutely transformed.
And I can appreciate how much work and dedication it must've cost. Unbelievable, inspiring amounts of vision must have been necessary. Thank you! <3

You can be grateful and point out problems. :^) be careful about using the word troll to be dismissive. Some people come off as trolls but actually have genuine intentions.

Edited by Shadowraix