barcos

Is awareness alone, curative for issues such as CPTSD?

9 posts in this topic

In one of Leo’s videos,he centralizes on the idea that awareness alone can be curative to any unwanted behavior.But I’m curious to know whether this same rule applies to deeper core psychological issues that would often be said to require professional help like therapy.Can it be done?Can one self heal through constant self observation and awareness of the damage they’re inflicting on themselves?My hypothesis is that enough meditation,self inquiry,awareness on your own thought processes and patterns,and of course a deep and profound  understanding of why you function the way you do,can cure or bring you back to a healthy equilibrium.Any help appreciated

Anything that helps is good. Every little progress counts so if you’re getting better, it’s the thing you should be doing. Awareness is a great start, it’s much easier to fix something when you exactly know what the problem is.

Professionals try their best to help but they’re not very good yet. They still need to get much better as mental health problems are on the rise.

It’s quite interesting and frustrating that we all have a brain and use it every day while most of us don’t know how to use it properly. There’s a lot of research on how to cure mental problems but not on how to keep our mind healthy. That’s why I like Maslow’s research as he was one of the few psychologists that actually observed healthy people.

I have an opinion on everything :D

every person is different, don't use meditation as a substitute for therapy. we often need help processing our issues. meditation is super good for us and should be practiced but usually there is a whole healing process to our issues and just mediation is not the cure. in fact mediation can help us see what else we need. 

On 7/27/2019 at 9:39 PM, SunnyNewDay said:

in fact mediation can help us see what else we need. 

Exactly. When I’m not stuck over analyzing everything and creating endless stories behind what I need to get done, the answers just come clearly and intuitively.

So it’s not that you just meditate and contemplate and bam everything is solved, it simply makes you less restricted with your creative and thought process; so you are inspired to help yourself with less doubt and more confidence. 

On 7/27/2019 at 10:39 PM, SunnyNewDay said:

every person is different, don't use meditation as a substitute for therapy. we often need help processing our issues. meditation is super good for us and should be practiced but usually there is a whole healing process to our issues and just mediation is not the cure. in fact mediation can help us see what else we need. 

Agreed. 

This thing of seeing meditation, "awareness, etc. as a panacea is a very dangerous approach. The person might end up thinking something like, "I have a deep psychological trauma from my childhood. Yea, my depression and anxiety probably came from that... But you know what? I won't go to a therapist, nor will I go to a psychiatrist. Nah... I will just use the power of my awareness to solve everything, and become a Buddha." Good luck with this approach... 

Don't get me wrong self-knowledge and self-reflection are very important tools, but try telling a person who is having a serious depressive episode to "apply awareness to how he's feeling"... 

In the case of serious emotional problems (such as cptsd), I really like the following quote:

quote-i-am-a-huge-advocate-of-prescripti

Meditation will not work with people who are heavily traumatized. Their pain is too big. So they need medication to alleviate the symptoms. It's just like trying to meditate with a VERY bad migraine. Is it really worth trying to be "mindful" of the migraine? Will you be focused as you're doing that? Or wouldn't it be better to take a pill and rest, and wait for your body to go back to homeostasis? Same thing with mental illnesses... 

one day this will all be memories

@kag101 I’m getting the idea that at the end your assuming that the person is using meditation and awareness/mindfulness as a symptom reliever but more as means to cure the problem from the root up.

if you'd be able to maintain that awareness, why not!

but maintaining that awareness needs much power!

"If you kick me when I'm down, you better pray I don't get up"

I have an idea that I wan to share not only with you that maybe has a big ego: 

1. Do body awareness for two hours every day.

2. Do this positive affirmation: "I do body awareness only 2 hours every day and I am patient with my life purpose" This will stop doing more than two hours of body awareness and it will stop the Jojo effect that you backslide when you get more aware. You need a training plan for getting more awareness. The ego makes you unaware and inpatient. 

3. Visualize the goals that make you awake. 

4. "I own my life" do this positive affirmation, not 100% responsibility because it leaves space for borrowing money from your parents.

5. I don't go to my old comfort zone (this is if you get independent).

6. And mindfulness is optional if you have time.

CPTSD can be cured equally as my compulsive obsessive disorder because of its shots down the monkey mind. You will notice it after one year being alone you just need a lot of time and a lot of patience every disorder makes you inpatient.

Edited by Marks199

I had that belief for years when I discovered Actualized.org. However, a good therapist and external sources (like Pete Walker books) will help you to unplug that from your brain.

Good luck.