Hardkill

Contradictory info. on number of hours of work per week to work

19 posts in this topic

Hey guys, So I've been thinking lately about the amount of hours I need to put in order to succeed in all areas of my life. However, I've been noticing some contradicting advice on this matter. For example, Elon Musk has stated that "...nobody ever changed the world on 40 hours a week." However, Leo has mentioned that guys like Elon Musk are workaholics who are not truly happy with their life despite being one of the most successful people in the history of the world. He even stated that he would definitely be better off if he cut down the amount of work time to about 40 hours per week while focusing more on personal self-development. Leo even mentioned a number of times that if you end up working more than about 40-50 hours per week, then you are doing something wrong and in the long-term will end up burning out, which will consequently cause serious negative ramifications to your health in the long run  I agree with all of this. 

However, in one of Leo's responses to someone's personal question in the All Personal Questions for Leo thread, Leo say that he works on average about 50-70 hours per week. If that's true then with all due respect wouldn't that mean that he is contradicting himself?

Also, life development coaches like Jon Sonmez, who are successful entrepreneurs and have successfully coached numerous clients and advised countless people on YouTube that in order to live a truly successful and happy life, you need to be able to work at least 12 hours per day every day for at least a few years towards your dream goals in life. 

So what's the real answer here guys? What am I supposed to do? I don't want to sacrifice my health and well-being for great success and achievement in my life.

Everyone and every field is different. Work as much as you can while your mind and your body is taken good care of otherwise you won’t get there. Also, thinking about things that relate to your goal is counted as “work” and that’s not that exhausting, you can do it wherever and whenever.

I have an opinion on everything :D

It's not about the amount of hours, better loosen that notion up. The way you spend those hours is more important. It sounds like you're having the idea that working can't be fun.
And are you equating having a successful career or business with well-being? Those are -thank god- not the same at all :)

@Hardkill

It does not need a calculator. If you feel motivated about your passion, you can work 10-14 hours a day if you have the power.

Use your own body/emotions and energy as a compass, you need nothing else.

Wait, so then what has Leo been talking about? Why has Leo been saying that working more than about 40 hours per week is unhealthy and counterproductive like he said on this thread here?

Less stuff, more space

Less attachments, more freedom

Less work, more life

@Hardkill

That's his opinion based on his experience, and I gave you mine based on my experience.

1 hour ago, Natasha said:

Less stuff, more space

Less attachments, more freedom

Less work, more life

I disagree. There's a point where things go full-circle and stop being opposites.

7 minutes ago, Truth Addict said:

I disagree. There's a point where things go full-circle and stop being opposites.

I knew this was going to get hit by a non-duality response ;):D

26 minutes ago, Truth Addict said:

Yet here you are opposing xD

1 hour ago, Natasha said:

I knew this was going to get hit by a non-duality response ;):D

9_9xD

1 hour ago, DrewNows said:

Yet here you are opposing xD

I never said I'm at that point :P

None of these responses are answering my question.

it´s a pretty relative topic. You have to research and then try by yourself for a couple of years.

On 7/24/2019 at 6:24 PM, Hardkill said:

Hey guys, So I've been thinking lately about the amount of hours I need to put in order to succeed in all areas of my life. However, I've been noticing some contradicting advice on this matter. For example, Elon Musk has stated that "...nobody ever changed the world on 40 hours a week." However, Leo has mentioned that guys like Elon Musk are workaholics who are not truly happy with their life despite being one of the most successful people in the history of the world. He even stated that he would definitely be better off if he cut down the amount of work time to about 40 hours per week while focusing more on personal self-development. Leo even mentioned a number of times that if you end up working more than about 40-50 hours per week, then you are doing something wrong and in the long-term will end up burning out, which will consequently cause serious negative ramifications to your health in the long run  I agree with all of this. 

However, in one of Leo's responses to someone's personal question in the All Personal Questions for Leo thread, Leo say that he works on average about 50-70 hours per week. If that's true then with all due respect wouldn't that mean that he is contradicting himself?

Also, life development coaches like Jon Sonmez, who are successful entrepreneurs and have successfully coached numerous clients and advised countless people on YouTube that in order to live a truly successful and happy life, you need to be able to work at least 12 hours per day every day for at least a few years towards your dream goals in life. 

So what's the real answer here guys? What am I supposed to do? I don't want to sacrifice my health and well-being for great success and achievement in my life.

Leo actually says in one of his videos that he changes his mind quite often, I'm sure most of us do (That is a sign of growth).  Don't take every one of his teachings and treat it like gospel, I'm sure he wouldn't recommend that at all.  Both of his points are valid and they might apply to your life in different times.  There is no right answer - way too many variables.  

Edited by SerpaeTetra

@Hardkill

It seems to me like you're afraid of taking risks and trying to perfect the map that you plan on using. I think this has to do with being a perfectionist (Leo has a video on perfectionism).

Be bold, try, make mistakes, fail, learn from your mistakes and failures, change your plans, get your hands dirty, etc...

Success arises from failures. Don't be that guy who makes a perfect plan then not do anything with it.

Perhaps that is the case, perhaps not. I'm just assuming.

On 7/26/2019 at 5:00 AM, Truth Addict said:

@Hardkill

It seems to me like you're afraid of taking risks and trying to perfect the map that you plan on using. I think this has to do with being a perfectionist (Leo has a video on perfectionism).

Be bold, try, make mistakes, fail, learn from your mistakes and failures, change your plans, get your hands dirty, etc...

Success arises from failures. Don't be that guy who makes a perfect plan then not do anything with it.

Perhaps that is the case, perhaps not. I'm just assuming.

Perhaps I am being a too perfectionistic. Yes, it’s true that a great amount of success arises failures. No doubt about that. However, I don’t want to end up being highly successful at the cost of jeopardizing my health and happiness. What if someone who has been an old lifetime smoker said that they believe that despite knowing that smoking cigarettes have been very bad for their health, it still has helped them a lot in dealing with the stress of their life and they are still alive at 80 something years old? You think that’s okay?

1 hour ago, Hardkill said:

However, I don’t want to end up being highly successful at the cost of jeopardizing my health and happiness. What if someone who has been an old lifetime smoker said that they believe that despite knowing that smoking cigarettes have been very bad for their health, it still has helped them a lot in dealing with the stress of their life and they are still alive at 80 something years old? You think that’s okay?

How would you ever know?

See, you can't know anything for sure. You gotta take the leap in order to move, otherwise you will be stuck forever in the same place. There's no way to know, and there are no guarantees. Life is a gamble, place your bets on what you think/feel/intuit will reward you the most.

Maybe you could start by working for a month for as much as you can, and then see how it will make you feel and then assess what the next step will be. Maybe you decide that it's healthy for you, so you go for it. And maybe you decide that it's unhealthy, so you change how you go about it.

You have to try, or just listen to my or someone else's advice and take it for granted. Whatever you choose, it might work and might not. Asking others for advice is not necessarily meant to give you clear-cut answers, it's essentially meant to give you wider perspective and understanding of the situation, and to make you aware of the traps and blind spots so you can avoid them.

On 7/28/2019 at 0:49 AM, Truth Addict said:

How would you ever know?

See, you can't know anything for sure. You gotta take the leap in order to move, otherwise you will be stuck forever in the same place. There's no way to know, and there are no guarantees. Life is a gamble, place your bets on what you think/feel/intuit will reward you the most.

Maybe you could start by working for a month for as much as you can, and then see how it will make you feel and then assess what the next step will be. Maybe you decide that it's healthy for you, so you go for it. And maybe you decide that it's unhealthy, so you change how you go about it.

You have to try, or just listen to my or someone else's advice and take it for granted. Whatever you choose, it might work and might not. Asking others for advice is not necessarily meant to give you clear-cut answers, it's essentially meant to give you wider perspective and understanding of the situation, and to make you aware of the traps and blind spots so you can avoid them.

Yeah, but you gotta play it smart too. I hate having to gamble my life on anything. I don't want to have to look back on my life 20 or more years from now and be like "oh ****! I made a terrible mistake! What have I done?!" I don't want to have other people telling me like "I told you! What were you thinking, man?! We were trying to tell you all this time and yet you were too stubborn to listen to us."

12 hours ago, Hardkill said:

Yeah, but you gotta play it smart too. I hate having to gamble my life on anything. I don't want to have to look back on my life 20 or more years from now and be like "oh ****! I made a terrible mistake! What have I done?!" I don't want to have other people telling me like "I told you! What were you thinking, man?! We were trying to tell you all this time and yet you were too stubborn to listen to us."

Yeah, but also remember that the clock is ticking. You don't have eternity to decide. I believe you've done enough research by now. Time to do something new.

On 7/26/2019 at 7:49 AM, Shiva said:

Just do whatever is necessary to achieve your goals.

Why worry about the hours?

The hours are only relevant if you don't like what you're doing, isn't it?

If you truly believe what you're doing is worthwhile, you want to put in more hours not less, isn't it?

This sounds like a Sadhguru quote hahah