Joseph Maynor

Is a Guru Essentially a Life Coach

14 posts in this topic

Or is a Guru more than a Life Coach?  I'm trying to get clear about this Life Coach concept which seems to be both new and old at once.

Relevant video to watch:

Edited by Joseph Maynor

@Joseph Maynor For lots of people, yes, they "use" gurus as life coaches. But a guru can go further than a life coach. If you read the Ashtavakra Gita you will see talks that life coaches don't access.

unborn Truth

No, life coaching is a very specific thing, sort of like therapy.

A guru is something distinct from that. A guru is guiding you to awakening. A life coach is not. The method of guidance is also different.

Coaching is mostly done over the phone. A guru is mostly face to face.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

guru is more like a death coach lol. totally opposite imo (tho gurus can also play the life coach for those that are still 'of the world', but that is only because they don't force natural evolution, if someone isn't ready for death coaching then so be it. but all that life you were coached on will still have to come to an end sometime..)

I see them as one and the same.  Guru is just an ancient Indian word for the Western Life Coach.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

@Joseph Maynor I know a well seasoned life coach who has a few books, older guy, goes by “the encourager” and he does seem to implement some spiritual sort of techniques in his connection with people but mainly it’s using his own personal experience and learned wisdom. Honestly he seems more like a best friend, mentor, kind of coach who has a lot of passion for understanding the challenges of others 

it’s definitely not just over the phone either, a lot of meet ups and stuff 

Edited by DrewNows

41 minutes ago, Joseph Maynor said:

I see them as one and the same.  Guru is just an ancient Indian word for the Western Life Coach.

They have different roles...imo (maybe different stages on the spiral) as in either meeting someone at their stage as a life coach vs sharing something for them to contemplate on that cannot be directly seen as advice 

Edited by DrewNows

1 hour ago, Joseph Maynor said:

I think there is difference. Guru is one who takes you from dark to light. Western life coach can be compared with another sanskrit word Acharya. 

I will be waiting here, For your silence to break, For your soul to shake,              For your love to wake! Rumi

Just now, Harikrishnan said:

I think there is difference. Guru is one who takes you from dark to light. Western life coach can be compared with another sanskrit word Acharya. 

What's the difference?

1 hour ago, Joseph Maynor said:

What's the difference?

From my understanding in old days title Guru was given to people who where Awakened. They teach only few selected students.

And Acharya is one who is well versed in a skill that he teaches, it maybe yoga, astronomy astrology,fighting,using weapons etc.

But now these titles dosent mean anything you can find many fake people using Guru and Acharya in front or back of name. 

I will be waiting here, For your silence to break, For your soul to shake,              For your love to wake! Rumi

A life coach is a mentor who helps you with your difficulties. I don't think that a coach is a guru, especially since in our modern society you can communicate with a coach online without leaving your home. But with the guru still communication should take place face to face. But nevertheless I believe that life coaches can really help you if you have life difficulties. Robkish.life helped me to accept myself in a very difficult period of my life. So do not underestimate this profession.

If it has an

On 7/22/2019 at 6:27 PM, Joseph Maynor said:

Or is a Guru more than a Life Coach?  I'm trying to get clear about this Life Coach concept which seems to be both new and old at once.

It depends on the goal

This thread is quite old and @Joseph Maynor can't reply. Locked.

Please check the date on posts.

What a dream, what a joke, love it   :x