Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Marc Schinkel

Neuralink unveils new brain-computer interface tech

13 posts in this topic

Evolution in action.

I like what Musk said about "humans being the biological bootloaders for AI" on his Joe Rogan interview.

The implications of new technologies like these will be huge for human consciousness.

I've been wondering what some of those implications might be.

Apart from increased creativity, connectivity, productivity and the general list of benefits propounded by stage orange materialists, what do you guys think tech like this will do for us, or could mean to us in the future? What could be some negative effects?

I imagine us being able to control "virtual bodies" that have much more complexity and interfacing ability than our physical human bodies.

When I was a kid I remembered spending time trying to consciously control parts of my body that seemed unreachable like moving my ears individually or my shifting scalp or twisting my tongue in both directions; things the average person cannot do but are quite useless.

We could have "imaginary" (:P) body parts, or perhaps even additional simulated sense capacities beyond our 5+ human senses within simulations that we could learn to control in similar ways. (I think some people define things like proprioception and temperature gauging as additional senses)

Consciousness could move beyond the limitations of being human!

I also believe it would make it easier for people to move beyond the materialist paradigm and force more openmindedness as the lines between "material" reality and the simulated augmentations we begin to inhabit become indistinguishable or as the simulations become hyper real. It would be a bit like how psychedelics change people personalities as in the big 5 system a person is likely to move one standard deviation higher in openness after a mystical psychedelic trip.

In other words people will be forced to question reality like this on a large scale; shifting millions into second tier and above:

Idk, food for thought.

I enjoyed all the videos in this thread. 

@Marc Schinkel Do you think reality could be a simulation?

@SoothedByRain Do you think psychedelic experiences offer more insight into reality than a simulation could?

I like how both of you bring the ancient "technology" of psychedelics and these emerging technologies into the same picture. 

Obviously both mess with our brains. What are your opinions on the role of the brain in consciousness and "reality"?

@Limbo simulation is probably the closest dualistic notion of reality you could get. 

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, Limbo said:

I enjoyed all the videos in this thread. 

@Marc Schinkel Do you think reality could be a simulation?

@SoothedByRain Do you think psychedelic experiences offer more insight into reality than a simulation could?

I like how both of you bring the ancient "technology" of psychedelics and these emerging technologies into the same picture. 

Obviously both mess with our brains. What are your opinions on the role of the brain in consciousness and "reality"?

It depends how you interpret the word "simulation".

My current understanding is that reality simply "is" of its own accord.

You could think about it like this: For reality to be a simulation it would have to be subject to a simulator and its limitations. But that simulator would itself be a part of reality. So reality is it's own simulation and simulator with no true limitations.

My point with the post was that new tech could empower questioning for the average person. Questioning is something that is lacking and there is very little impetus for it for most people. They are caught up in survival and relative practical truths take precedence.

You could think of a brain in similar terms to the simulation example. Most people think of a brain as kind of like a "simulator" in which consciousness is generated, but the brain is subject to the reality that it is conscious of, so there is no separation between it and consciousness and reality.

You could ponder how it is that your brain exists in the universe and how the universe exists in your brain at the same time.

Psychedelics and simulation tech may open up consciousness from its limited perspective in which a brain is the centre of consciousness, or something like that.

The brains relationship to consciousness and reality is no more (or less) significant than that of a rock that could be used to impale it, but most people can't see that because they only see that a rock impaling the brain would be the end of survival.

Survival = reality to the average person and that colours their interpretations, perceptions and experiences significantly. You need a brain to survive.

Edited by Marc Schinkel
Auto correct spelling

On 05/08/2019 at 1:13 PM, Marc Schinkel said:

You could think of a brain in similar terms to the simulation example. Most people think of a brain as kind of like a "simulator" in which consciousness is generated, but the brain is subject to the reality that it is conscious of, so there is no separation between it and consciousness and reality.

You could ponder how it is that your brain exists in the universe and how the universe exists in your brain at the same time.

Woah, this took me by surprise. Everything in my mind just went blank and it all felt clear, open, light, present, expansive.

I think I just had an enlightenment experience!!

Thank you!!

@Shadowraix Do you think simulation is a good metaphor for reality? Or that reality is a simulation?

On 07/08/2019 at 7:23 AM, Limbo said:

Woah, this took me by surprise. Everything in my mind just went blank and it all felt clear, open, light, present, expansive.

I think I just had an enlightenment experience!!

Thank you!!

A few hairs on the ass ;)

On 8/6/2019 at 6:00 PM, Limbo said:

@Shadowraix Do you think simulation is a good metaphor for reality? Or that reality is a simulation?

For the average person, sure. Simulation gets you closer, but you can go much further. I find it to be too grounded in dualism though. Which is only one end of the paradox, the one people are accustomed to. It occurs through construction while this work is often about deconstruction. 

Observe your sense of separation. @Serotoninluv made a good example. You see your whole body as a body..right? And you identify with it as a 'you' but when you actually observe you see you can separate your body more. Arms, legs, head, cells, blood, mitochondria, (is the powerhouse of the cell lol) atoms, protons, quarks etc. But in order to do this your perception needs to *create* such a separation. So it makes you wonder, why do I identify with the body and not just a cell or not the entire house one resides in? Why do you go down and not up? You might find a survival-based answer to this. What do you think might happen when that sense of separation of body and other, is gone? Which is a perfectly possible experience to have. Is there still a 'you' or do you resort to the highest form of unity? God, reality, the universe etc. This happened by removing or deconstructing that sense of separation and all that appears left is unity. This is what makes oneness a 'higher' truth than separation because separation occurs in unity. You need something to separate, to even do it at all! Thats the other end of the paradox.

@Marc Schinkel Gave some great insights. Simulation implies a simulation and simulator distinction. This is what ultimately makes it dualistic. How can you hold onto that distinction as the highest truth when it occurs through oneness? So you find out, simulation and simulator are precisely one! Yes! Its another paradox!! Creator and creation are absolutely the same. 

I personally prefer giving the analogy of imagining a person in your head living their entire life completely unaware you created them. They are you, completely convinced of living their life full of pleasures and suffering and yet here you are, exploring this life daydreaming taking no real preference to whether they are in constant enjoyment or not because every bit they experience was a part of it, the plan. Of course you could also have them reach enlightenment and realize you created them, that they are in a dream.

Now what makes this any different in the reality you are in besides a more infinite paradoxical scale? ;)

On 16/08/2019 at 0:56 PM, Marc Schinkel said:

A few hairs on the ass ;)

Maybe god started the second world war so that an autistic gay man could engineer the first computer to bring us all into a higher order love simulation.

"Sometimes it's the people who no one imagines anything of, who do the things that no one can imagine"

The Imitation Game

Edited by Limbo

4 hours ago, Limbo said:

Maybe god started the second world war so that an autistic gay man could engineer the first computer to bring us all into a higher order love simulation.

"Sometimes it's the people whom no one imagines anything of, who do the things that no one can imagine"

The imitation game

Oh, come now, don't be daft!

There have been plenty of other mighty fine computers along the way.

Hidden Figures

20 hours ago, Marc Schinkel said:

Oh, come now, don't be daft!

There have been plenty of other mighty fine computers along the way.

Hidden Figures

Jesus, I'd never heard of this! :x