Elham

Turning point advice needed!

18 posts in this topic

I have studied English up to Master degree and I defended my thesis last year ?‍?... Through this 6-7 years I always knew this field never excites me. I was doing my thesis and I was thinking oh God I don't care how the results of this study will turn out!  Obviously this should not be the feelings of a person who goes into research! 

I chose to study English because of peer pressure and the most unfair test in the world that held before college and tell you what field and which university you can study.

The only reason I went on this long was to apply for ph.D and fulfill my childhood dream to get OUT of Iran! But now that I am a little wiser:P I'm thinking yes I want to get out of here BUT I want to enjoy what I do as well.

Since I LOVE science and research, I have decided to start studying Biology. This decision is twisting my life and I am close this much ? to go crazy :D

● Some say you are so stupid to ignore 6-7 years of your life and start fresh...
● Others say how can you do this while you can apply next year. Just ignore this and continue study English. FINISH WHAT YOU HAVE STARTED DAMN GIRL>:( This decision will keep me inside the country at least for another 4 years :(...
● Some people KINDLY say do it but you will be regretful...

However there are some people around me who understand and show me different ways to do it... up to now I have been offered with three ways;

1. Go back to college and start studying basic Biology up to Bachelor's degree and apply and leave for Master's.

2. Forget about college. Take GRE general, GRE subject, IELTS and TOFEL tests then apply for PhD of Biology with your English degrees (I have send many emails to different universities and professors to see whether it's technically possible or not but I have recieved no answer so far).

3. Apply for English PhD and then when you leave the country quit it and start studying Biology abroad! (I don't feel it's a right option since in this process I have to deceive a professor to support me financially and then quit on everything).

It's about two month I am analyzing different aspects of this decision. I would be super honored if your could share your perspectives and opinions since I really have few people around me to consult with.  

Thank you ❤

I’d give Biology a go, just make sure that it’s really what you want. You won’t lose the years you studied English, the knowledge will stay with you and you still have your Masters. You can still use that in case things won’t work out with Biology.

I have an opinion on everything :D

@Elham Forgive me if this is an ignorant question, why isn't "study a biology bachelor's abroad" an option? Or even "get some kind of job abroad"?

I'm not sure how the visa procedures for Iran goes nowadays, but if that was no problem, I would say 'get a job you are qualified for (ie. translating?), preferably in the country you want to go to, get independent, then apply for biology studies if you still want to'.

The "apply for a phd in biology with an english degree" is probably not going to fly. They expect you to have master's level knowledge in biology or a similar field when you go for phd, no professor will be interested in a phd student with no background. 

Edited by Elisabeth

@Elisabeth it is possible but due to political and economical issues it is harder than any other option!

@JustThinkingAloud ya I have it rapped up in a box ;)

I have studied a basic book on biology to make sure it's what I want

1 minute ago, Elham said:

@Elisabeth it is possible but due to political and economical issues it is harder than any other option!

The transition between being a student and being an employee is a huge one. Are you currently working a job in Iran?

Would it be an option to work for an international company (possibly a pharmaceutical company, something close to biology) which would allow you to travel and eventually transfer to another country? 

If you're really into studying some more, than local bachelors may be ok (unless you really, really want to leave asap), but I'd consider the international option. It's hard, but there are people who can work and support themselves during their studies in Europe, and since you already have a degree, it might be doable for you. 

@Elisabeth part time teaching.

Things are a little different here. Finding an international job, applying, getting visa, our currency value and other things are not the same for us due to international sanctions that have been applied against us!

1 hour ago, Elham said:

@Elisabeth part time teaching.

Things are a little different here. Finding an international job, applying, getting visa, our currency value and other things are not the same for us due to international sanctions that have been applied against us!

Yes, that's exactly what I don't know - like, I know it's not the same, but I don't know whether it is impossible.

first of all, to hell with social/peer pressure, you are here to self-actualize yourself to get rid of these pressures at first place!!

I don't know which one is more important for ya, getting out of the country or following your passion in the study?

from my POV, I'd take the first option if it'd be at the cost of throwing my passions in study subject to the wolves :))

it's so nice that you wrote your problems and hesitation here, but to get the best consultation which is fit for your status quo, I'd say that take the one from the person who has the closest experience to you!

I'm telling you, 4 years of biology "inland" could be the dumbest decision you could take in your life! (now it's up to you!)

but at the end of the day, it's you who knows the "YOU" better than anybody else! 

and remember the process could be sacrificing one of your normal-level passion to your greatest passion!

sit down, and evaluate your options, remember from universal perspective: there's no better option, it's you who is making meaning out of options, 

so think it through thoroughly. if you need further help, we could talk about it via direct message, because there could be personal examples and experiences of a consultant!   

"If you kick me when I'm down, you better pray I don't get up"

@hamedsf well I see you have the same passion to LEAVE as I do ?

@Elham 

You can do both actually !!.

You can finish your current studies and leave the country , meanwhile, you are studying biology by yourslef . Then after a couple of years , you can get you degree from a university in your new country.

50 minutes ago, Elham said:

@hamedsf well I see you have the same passion to LEAVE as I do ?

The most fundamental step to full-scale self-actualization! :P

"If you kick me when I'm down, you better pray I don't get up"

@Elham You know what you need to do. Sit down, meditate, feel what's in your heart. Don't go with thinking, go with feeling, your gut. Realise that whatever path you take will be the right one, because it will just be (the path you take). 

Edited by Surfingthewave

On 19/07/2019 at 10:46 PM, Elham said:

3. Apply for English PhD and then when you leave the country quit it and start studying Biology abroad! (I don't feel it's a right option since in this process I have to deceive a professor to support me financially and then quit on everything).

What about this option? You can compensate him once you have enough money. Just an idea, would it be wrong? I think it might be ok.

I have an opinion on everything :D

On 7/19/2019 at 3:16 PM, Elham said:

I have studied English up to Master degree and I defended my thesis last year ?‍?... Through this 6-7 years I always knew this field never excites me. I was doing my thesis and I was thinking oh God I don't care how the results of this study will turn out!  Obviously this should not be the feelings of a person who goes into research! 

I chose to study English because of peer pressure and the most unfair test in the world that held before college and tell you what field and which university you can study.

The only reason I went on this long was to apply for ph.D and fulfill my childhood dream to get OUT of Iran! But now that I am a little wiser:P I'm thinking yes I want to get out of here BUT I want to enjoy what I do as well.

Since I LOVE science and research, I have decided to start studying Biology. This decision is twisting my life and I am close this much ? to go crazy :D

● Some say you are so stupid to ignore 6-7 years of your life and start fresh...
● Others say how can you do this while you can apply next year. Just ignore this and continue study English. FINISH WHAT YOU HAVE STARTED DAMN GIRL>:( This decision will keep me inside the country at least for another 4 years :(...
● Some people KINDLY say do it but you will be regretful...

However there are some people around me who understand and show me different ways to do it... up to now I have been offered with three ways;

1. Go back to college and start studying basic Biology up to Bachelor's degree and apply and leave for Master's.

2. Forget about college. Take GRE general, GRE subject, IELTS and TOFEL tests then apply for PhD of Biology with your English degrees (I have send many emails to different universities and professors to see whether it's technically possible or not but I have recieved no answer so far).

It's about two month I am analyzing different aspects of this decision. I would be super honored if your could share your perspectives and opinions since I really have few people around me to consult with.  

Thank you ❤

1. It is a way maybe you can speed up this process and finish in fewer years.

2.  It is highly probable that nobody is going to consider you for Biology PhD program without Biology experience so forget it.

3. You can do it as well if you can live with it.

Advice: Build on your strong side, get a job that does not cost you lot of time and fully supports you (home or ideally in non-english country) and start biology study there. There are going to be tough times but hey you have a vision and obstacles are just details, good luck.