Anirban657

Changing college major from Science to Philosophy

12 posts in this topic

@Leo GuraI have decided to study philosophy in college. But I am from science background where we need to write logical answers and short answers. How did you manage to adapt to philosophy where long answers are required. How is philosophy different from science and how can I be good at it Leo?

"Becoming 'awake' involves seeing our own confusion more clearly"-Rumi

You have asked directly from Leo so sorry I am jumping in and answer 9_9

I have studied Teaching English and in one of our courses we have been taught about Bloon's Taxonomy of Thinking Skills. This taxonomy can be used for answering questions.

I don't believe science only need direct and logical answer but considering what you say, if science is in "comprehension" category (as you believe) I think fields like philosophy are in higher stages in this taxonomy. You will need to go on the stages one by one to the top in order to be able to think in analysis and synthesis level then you can turn that into answer.

I am sure studying more about this model will help you.

blooms_taxonomy.jpg

@Elham So what can I do to go up the stages? I am new to Philosophy.

2 hours ago, Elham said:

You have asked directly from Leo so sorry I am jumping in and answer 9_9

I have studied Teaching English and in one of our courses we have been taught about Bloon's Taxonomy of Thinking Skills. This taxonomy can be used for answering questions.

I don't believe science only need direct and logical answer but considering what you say, if science is in "comprehension" category (as you believe) I think fields like philosophy are in higher stages in this taxonomy. You will need to go on the stages one by one to the top in order to be able to think in analysis and synthesis level then you can turn that into answer.

I am sure studying more about this model will help you.

blooms_taxonomy.jpg

Huh I am actually disgusted by these professors creating these 30 minute long answers that tell you exactly nothing, because you don't understand the words they are using. Please, become a wise professor of philosophy who can formulate their ideas efficiently ?

@Anirban657 Academic philosophy will not get you to Truth.

Just come to terms with that first if you decide to pursue :)

It's Love.

@Anirban657

Our professor always gave us many many papers in our test to write the answers and when the answer was similar to the book we got bad grades!

He wanted us first to read the book then understand it fully as to be able to summarise it. Then we were expected to create a concept maps that organized different ideas and then write our own interpretation.

When you deeply know something, you should be able to apply it in real life. For example you read about a theory. After reading it you should understand it. If you have truly learned it, it means that you can apply it in different situations in your life. Then you should be able to organize it in relation to other theories you know (maybe similarities and difference). After knowing these patterns start to come out with new thoughts and ideas which is originally yours.

I think that's how the taxonomy of higher thinking works.

Edited by Elham

@Elham  Philosophy can be taught in very creative ways, for example I have a friend who teaches philosophy by acting as the devil's advocate every lesson :D Sometimes the students notice, sometimes they don't. Obviously, she can think for herself and have meaningful values, but it's a funny style of teaching.

@bejapuskas

Yaaa

Well she is definitely in higher stages in the taxonomy that enable her to manipulate the concepts this well :D

Philosophy is a great degree. It will teach you how to interact with arguments through the 'Logic' module that will be in your course.

There's a Udemy course that can give you an overview and also provides you with additional skills i.e. essay writing. It is titled "Critical Thinking: Think Like A Philosopher" (Note they always have sales on, I got it at 12.99)

"Learning How To Learn" on coursera is awesome. That is about studying, in general.

Enjoy!

Edited by Ulax

Be-Do-Have

Made it out the inner hood

There is no failure, only feedback

Also what you call a logical answer or logic might change a lot. Try contemplating what logic is.

@Anirban657 Academic philosophy is extremely logical. It is not at odds with science at all. In science you are required to write lengthy research papers just like in philosophy.

Philosophy has nothing to do with lengthy answers. It's about discovering truth & wisdom through inquiry, and then embodying it in your life. How many words it takes is irrelevant.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

21 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

@Anirban657 Academic philosophy is extremely logical. It is not at odds with science at all. In science you are required to write lengthy research papers just like in philosophy.

Philosophy has nothing to do with lengthy answers. It's about discovering truth & wisdom through inquiry, and then embodying it in your life. How many words it takes is irrelevant.

Ok Leo?