Viking

How to build discipline without being neurotic

23 posts in this topic

Firstly this isn't going to be the perfect answer of course because you've got your own context that you personally need to discover insights from but maybe my personal context will feed into that and perhaps complement any other answers provided thus far.

Secondly this answer isn't going to be what you think its going to be, this is because when people normally think of ideation here they think of conscious ideation as opposed to say influence ideation, my approach here is going to be pointing to trying the latter.

For example, I've been listening to and reading a lot about David Goggins because I'm opening myself up to being influenced by his notions on motivation. This has nothing to do with replication but everything to do with being influenced and allowing my consciousness to detect patterns in his story that it then originates novel patterns in the context of what would best work for me. Meaning my brain is now unconsciously building models on motivation with respect to how they would best work for me as apposed to merely copying his approach. This has led to insights in relation to not only motivation but also the process of consciousness and how it transforms contents themselves to the point of it generating original meaning relative to the reference frame of consciousness. Although I have little interest at present at developing it further in these directions it also has implications for understanding social conditioning, how the environment affects and even further out to understanding the 'choice' behind one political system over another, this choice is rather a choice based on reference frame and available reference frames then originating content from there as opposed to really being a conscious choice, the conscious part seems more about not in that moment understanding ones subconscious preferences based on prior perceived reference frames. This is no different to motivation, why someone is and someone isn't as well as the various reasons for these things, a lot of it has to do with the conditioning from prior reference frames it seems and the capacity for a consciousness to originate content that are specific its own needs. This is a 'nut' that I'm working on cracking and it'll be something I'll be working on for the rest of the year most likely, most of my insights will probably be generated by the end of say next month but it'll take me a while to carve them out.

So in short, change your environment.

Start learning about motivation.

I already know some things so in this instance I really wanted to focus on a particular case study, in this instance David Goggins, and really test to see what kind of effects I'd notice in my own consciousness and the different things it would discover.

In relation to the results of the experiment so far, my level of motivation has increased quite significantly. And that's really what you want to pay attention to, the results and then learn incrementally from there making adjustments where things aren't working. The key is to keep experimenting while also being patient, that way you won't get in a slump of not knowing what to do. In this instance, just to neatly tie the knot on the comment here, both conscious and unconscious ideation here are important to the process. Conscious ideation is to really rigorously trying to crack that nut in that problem area, like say me coming up with the idea of being influenced by David Goggins at the cost of working on other ideas, then unconscious ideation are all the ideas that my consciousness comes up with during the process of continually being influenced by him.

All in all it seems its a relationship between openness, time spent listening and learning from him and my consciousnesses capacity to connect dots relative to my personal context that is producing ideas that aid my own unique approach to solving and enhancing motivational frontiers for myself.

This knowledge may help you in understanding the context of your own learning when you may attempt to do the same thing when you're learning from something in reality.

Same with me dawg. I'm also looking for a similar solution

Do you tie it around your self esteem? Like you must do xyz to be happy? Like you must do xyz to be good enough? 

@Viking I think this is a good strategy. Going hard at being disciplined can lead to burn out, loss of interest or high levels of distraction. 

I tend to do something every day towards my life purpose. Even if it's five minutes it will usually lead to longer. 

Also you've got to have a big enough why. Why are you doing the things you need to do, for what reason and use  daily language/affirmations to help you stay motivated. I use a tick box system for daily practice. I'm wired visually to this seems to help. Momentum is built by daily practice and you're less likely to stray off focus.