Cody_Atzori

How do you deal with numbness during meditation?

9 posts in this topic

How do you guys do long sits without your legs getting numb? Because everytime I meditate for 30+ minutes or even less my right leg goes completely numb, I've tried so many positions and it keeps happening. I find it quite easy to meditate, my only problem is the numbness. What's the sollution? I've only been meditating for like 3 weeks so Is it something you get used to? Do I need to improve my flexibility?

Edited by Cody_Atzori

@Cody_Atzori use pillows around your legs, make yourself comfortable as possible. You don't need to sit in a full lotus pose for meditation. I would recommend buying a moon shaped zafu which helps a lot

Mahadev

@Cody_Atzori  I Suffer form this as well, lately i just try to ignore it.

Try to find a position where this problem decrease.

For me the numbness decreases when my upper body is above the legs, higher. Give it a try sitting with one more pillow. 

I have a buckwheat mediation cushion, also I put a blanket under my legs and I take a break from the position and hug my legs to my chest in the middle of meditation when they fall asleep. Hip opening yoga and stretching helps too, I'm a runner so that kills my flexibility but running is a powerful kind of mediation too so it's worth it. 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

Helpful to me: raise the sitting position, change position, yin yoga. I used to sit through numbness and tingles, yet no more. It takes a toll on the body. 

@Cody_Atzori i think your body will adjust the more you do it.  But that's sort of a good problem to even have - it means you are putting the time in.  Its Ok to get up and walk around and then get back into meditating again and go again.

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

Draw your awareness into your body. It sounds counter intuitive but its not. Try not to resist. I feel like the best breakthroughs happen when you sit through a pain or an itch.    

Embrace the pain it is the only way.-Oenomaus

Edited by Solonius
spelling

@Wasem really? whilst in the meditation position as it's happening?