Cocolove

Can music be good for getting in touch with emotions?

7 posts in this topic

For the past couple of years I have listened to music very rarely because I was under the impression that it's low consciousness, just a distraction, essentially a drug.

Also, I've had from what I understand from bioenergetics to be an emotional blockage. For a year or two I didn't cry once. In the last year or two, after I started meditating and doing bioenergetics and shamanic breathing, I've cried every few months. It always feels like a huge emotional release and relief. It's happened randomly, one time was from listening to a song, one was because I was under a bunch of pressure. Last night it happened again from listening to music.

I found some artist I really like like a week ago and have since listened to their 20 or so songs a lot, I thought they were really good so I just said fuck it. Last night I was going to bed soon and I just laid on my couch and played two of those songs with a sad vibe, and I felt like crying but then the usual strained resistance came up. I realized I wasn't crying because I wanted to, and just tried to let go. Then I burst into sobbing for 10 minutes straight. It felt like all my emotions from the past few years came up and I feel so much clearer now.

So do you guys think music can be helpful in this regard? As a therapeutic tool.

Also does anyone have any advice for my situation with not being able to cry, beyond what I'm already doing.

Certainly! Sometimes one has to play out those feelings and let them get released. 

I would say put ones awareness on the resistance, allow it, and accept it for what it is until the resistance starts to fade. There may be some unconscious emotions attched to the resistance that will come up. Whatever comes up, observe it and allow it to be. 

The how is what you build, the why is in your heart. 

Of course. Sound in general is a very useful tool. It's why in ancient ceremonies it was heavily used to help guide you. 

Music certainly can be a low consciousness act. But it can also be a high consciousness one. All depends on how you use it. 

I remember hearing these songs which made me cry unexpectedly. Also get those indescribable tingles, the cold chills. I'm not sure why it happened, but it felt good to allow myself to just open up and let some tears flow. Listen and you can probably tell what they have in common that causes a strong emotional response, maybe you also cry too.

A sweet sadness?

Just something about these kind of country/folk music melodies that touches you?

Edited by XYZ

On ‎17‎-‎07‎-‎2019 at 7:25 PM, Cocolove said:

For the past couple of years I have listened to music very rarely because I was under the impression that it's low consciousness, just a distraction, essentially a drug.

Also, I've had from what I understand from bioenergetics to be an emotional blockage. For a year or two I didn't cry once. In the last year or two, after I started meditating and doing bioenergetics and shamanic breathing, I've cried every few months. It always feels like a huge emotional release and relief. It's happened randomly, one time was from listening to a song, one was because I was under a bunch of pressure. Last night it happened again from listening to music.

I found some artist I really like like a week ago and have since listened to their 20 or so songs a lot, I thought they were really good so I just said fuck it. Last night I was going to bed soon and I just laid on my couch and played two of those songs with a sad vibe, and I felt like crying but then the usual strained resistance came up. I realized I wasn't crying because I wanted to, and just tried to let go. Then I burst into sobbing for 10 minutes straight. It felt like all my emotions from the past few years came up and I feel so much clearer now.

So do you guys think music can be helpful in this regard? As a therapeutic tool.

Also does anyone have any advice for my situation with not being able to cry, beyond what I'm already doing.

Oh music, music, music.  It’s my best therapy ever!  It’s also my theatre!  I listen and play.

Music is great to use to empty all those bottled up feeling and emotions, some of the past, yes for sure, but in a good way in that you get rid and leave behind.  It does depend on what you are listening to, of course.  If you want to relax, listen to chillouts, if you want to rant and rave on your own to get things out, like using a punchbag, put in something loud and heavy.  Some pieces of music are tearjerkers, even unintentional ones.  Okay, belt it out and swim in those tears.  Even if you are a man, just let them out!  I think there is too much stigma in crying males in Western societies, and I think that it’s about time we got rid of that.

If you forget the titles and just listen, these is two of my favourite pieces from the same band that I listen to, which for me, is calming and sun-rising (!):

Edited by Tim Stretton

Sound = Vibration

Of course it can!

Ommmm for a while and see how you feel :)

B R E A T H E