Noah

Neurofeedback Question for Leo - EEG/HEG Training for ADHD, Depression, and Anxiety

14 posts in this topic

For the past six months I have been on a journey to cure my ADHD, depression, and anxiety. For a very long time I was mostly unconscious of these problems and managed to suppress them; only recently have I become very aware of them and the radical impact they have on my life. These issues have been crippling on both a day to day basis, and in the bigger picture of pursuing my life purpose/other self-actualization work. I did quite a bit of research about how to cure these issues after I read a forum post Leo responded to, in which he talked about how ADHD can have it’s root in physical imbalances - diet, heavy metal toxicity, hormonal imbalance, nutritional deficiency, etc. I am currently working with a functional medicine (naturopath) doctor to resolve any imbalances I have there and optimize my health. I'm making progress in this area, but I think it's just one part of a full solution.

In that post Leo also mentioned neurofeedback as a very effective tool, so I went about researching it and learning all I could. I read the book on the booklist, read a ton of articles, watched videos, podcasts, etc. I found a practitioner very close to me and started talking with him, but I soon realized that it was very expensive - treatment usually took 20-40 sessions, and each session was $100, plus the $1000 cost of the QEEG brain map. Then I read that Leo had his own EEG machine (in the $3000 range), which interested me because that would be cheaper than going through 30 or 40 sessions+QEEG with a practitioner, and I could use it for life (for peak performance + alpha training protocols)! I ended up researching different companies that offered neurofeedback machines in this price range and came across this company: https://brain-trainer.com

They offer complete packages with all the hardware and software one would need for either HEG (training just the prefrontal cortex), EEG (whole brain) or both, and also include a few hours of mentoring to help customers map their brain, and learn/get started with EEG. They have a pretty interesting version of the brain map called the TQ7, which seems to be superior to the normal QEEG because it doesn’t work to train the client’s brain to minimize deviations from the average brain, but instead trains the client to what they call the “peak brain.” Here’s the explanation of how it works if anyone’s interested: 

https://brain-trainer.com/about/trainers-q/

https://brain-trainer.com/answers/getting-started/tlc-vs-methods/ (this explains how the TQ is superior to other methods like QEEG, NeurOptimal, Z-Score, LORETA, and more)

I am considering purchasing one of their packages (linked below) as it would actually be cheaper than going to a neurofeedback clinic in the long run.

EEG Package

HEG Package

Combo Package

Here are the testimonials (obviously to be taken with a grain of salt as they are posted by the company, but still good to hear)

This is the only review I could find of this product that wasn’t on the testimonials page - it's hard to find reviews of any neurofeedback system. 

My question for @Leo Gura is - What specific neurofeedback hardware/software do you use? Have you heard about this company? If you bought your hardware/software from them, what has your experience been like? Do you recommend a different company? Also, have you used HEG neurofeedback in addition to EEG?

I am really interested to hear your thoughts (or anyone else if they have experience with neurofeedback home training!)

I am very persistent to resolve my ADHD, depression, and anxiety, as currently they are my main obstacles.

- Noah

Edited by Noah

I cured my ADHD with diet - about 90% with Keto then 100% by zerocarb (carnivore)

What book is a must read on this topic?

Who teaches us whats real and how to laugh at lies? Who decides why we live and what we'll die to defend?Who chain us? And who holds the Key that can set us free? 

It's you.

You have all the weapons you need 

Now fight.

On days you are okay, is it because of something?

I notice that less sleep throws me out of whack real easily 

I also notice childhood trauma playing a large effect

@d0ornokey

48 minutes ago, d0ornokey said:

On days you are okay, is it because of something?

I notice that less sleep throws me out of whack real easily 

I also notice childhood trauma playing a large effect

It's extremely up and down. Somedays I can be feeling extraordinarily depressed and anxious - I can't function at all. However on the days I do feel better it's when I'm working on my life purpose - illustration. I seem to cycle in and out of these periods. It's very unpredictable, which makes it all the worse. 

Sleep is definitely very important, but I feel it hasn't been an enormous issue for me - I usually get 7-8 hours a night; I will start experimenting with more. I believe childhood trauma does play a large effect, although I'm not sure to what extent yet - I'm just starting to explore this. Do you recommend any resources to learn more about that?

I read some of your posts on neurofeedback and OCD a little while back, it sounded like it helped you in a big way. How are things going now?

Edited by Noah

@Johnny

2 hours ago, Johnny said:

I cured my ADHD with diet - about 90% with Keto then 100% by zerocarb (carnivore)

Thanks, I'll have to look into that!

@NoSelfSelf

1 hour ago, NoSelfSelf said:

What book is a must read on this topic?

A Symphony in the Brain by Jim Robbins. I listened to the audiobook, it's fantastic. If you just want a quick overview though, there are some great articles/videos online

@Noah Thank you!

Who teaches us whats real and how to laugh at lies? Who decides why we live and what we'll die to defend?Who chain us? And who holds the Key that can set us free? 

It's you.

You have all the weapons you need 

Now fight.

19 hours ago, Commodent said:

Take a look at Gabor Maté. He is a doctor who has suffered with ADD himself and has a lot of valuable info to offer on the subject. He also has a book named Scattered Minds: The Origins and Healing of Attention Deficit Disorder, which adresses the condition specifically.

@Commodent Thanks.

19 hours ago, SunnyNewDay said:

does this stuff actually work?

@SunnyNewDay Absolutely. Search "Andrew Hill Neurofeedback" on youtube and listen to one of the podcasts/interviews, that would be a good starting off point in researching this technology.

I would like to hear Leo's answer for this, for meditation @Leo Gura

Also an update from OP on this system if he has purchased it @Noah

Edited by calibrate

15 hours ago, calibrate said:

I would like to hear Leo's answer for this, for meditation @Leo Gura

Also an update from OP on this system if he has purchased it @Noah

me too.

Leo posted in another EEG topic saying that he doesnt want to go into it because most people wont have access due to expense as well as not having the technical know how to operate one of these systems effectively at home. 

Neurofeedback is a powerful technology and it would be nice if Leo would let us in on what he has discovered with regard to that

On 7/18/2019 at 2:30 AM, Johnny said:

This will def be the biggest lever to pull for adhd and neurofeedback will help you to fine tune effective states of consciousness

‘The water in which the mystic swims is the water in which a madman drowns. --Joseph Campbell

On 10/02/2020 at 4:20 AM, montecristo said:

me too.

Leo posted in another EEG topic saying that he doesnt want to go into it because most people wont have access due to expense as well as not having the technical know how to operate one of these systems effectively at home. 

Neurofeedback is a powerful technology and it would be nice if Leo would let us in on what he has discovered with regard to that

For whatever reason Leo seems to be reluctant to share information about neurofeedback.

Not everyone wants to use psychedelics as their main technology for consciousness work. Some of us have a family history of mental illness and other constraining factors. 

We need the beans spilled sooner or later o.O

Edited by calibrate