kieranperez

How To Get Started w/Hatha Yoga? - Can't Go To Classes!

18 posts in this topic

I'm trying to get started into Hatha Yoga. I'm doing a summer gig where I'm working 60-70 hours a week and simply don't have time to invest in some Hatha Yoga studio. 

Reason

• So I can have enough relaxation in my body where I can finally sit and meditate without any sort of cushion.
  • I'm relaxed and finally flexible enough so I'm free of the tension and stiffness such that I can actually sit in a meditation posture proper and focus
  • Improve my breathing
  • Get enough of the tension out of my chest by improving pranayma so I can finally breath relaxed

I get so confused with trying to establish some sort of routine since I'll do YouTube searches but most of what I find are just individual postures and poses which tells me nothing about starting an actual practice, how to structure it, etc. 

Adriene Mishler has a channel called yogawithadrienne. Look up her "yoga for beginners" video and see if you like her style. She is wonderful yoga teacher and her sets are easy to follow. 

If you like her, I'd do one of her 30 day yoga challenges to get used to different exercises. Once you finish a 30 day challenge, you're well set to continue practicing on your own time. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

@kieranperez Bro I got the perfect thing for you to try.

I did this for about 8 months straight, and found just 5 to 10 mins of this hatha yoga was better than an hour of meditation lmao

It's Sadhguru's Upa yoga. 

Go to youtube and type in "Sadhguru yoga for love", "Sadhguru yoga for peace", and "Sadhguru yoga for joy". 

He has about 6 Upa yoga practices, but those 3 I found to be the most efficient and most effective. 

Keep in mind, with hatha yoga, you have to pay attention to the little details to get the maximum effect. So when you watch those videos, follow every little detail. 

The whole thing takes about 10 minutes total, so it should fit your long schedule. 

Good luck! hope it works :)

@Sunny J Gupta Sadhguru's Upa Yoga doesn't address what I'm dealing with. Thank you though

@Michael569 looked her up and my issues weren't addressed at all in her videos but thanks anyways. 

I'm really struggling because I have so much tension in my chest and I feel like I'm being squeezed in. My hips, glutes, etc. are more of a straightforward shoot as that tightness is from years of distance running. My chest though is becoming extremely problematic. If I try to stretch out my spine and breathe my entire breath is shaking and there's gaps. There's trauma there and just a lot of tension but I don't know what to do at all. I have no idea what to research. If there's anybody else that can help me I'd appreciate it. Not looking for quick fixes. 

@kieranperez "Light on Yoga", written by Iyengar. It's a long and complete book for self-taught Hatha Yoga practitioners.

unborn Truth

what is the goal of achieving such a result ?

just curious, I m looking for a yoga that would help with the fact that I live mostly sitted on a chair.

@kieranperez Just look up some poses that you like/find useful and practice these diligently, breathing thorough them, stretching them deeper and deeper and getting relaxed and centered in them.

Use the Prayer Swat Team!

On 20/07/2019 at 9:44 PM, kieranperez said:

My chest though is becoming extremely problematic. If I try to stretch out my spine and breathe my entire breath is shaking and there's gaps

What do you mean by "gaps"? Do you hear any wheezing or sort of "gurgling" sounds when you breathe out? Like as if tiny bubbles were formed? 

Can you breathe normally when you lay down? Does your chest feel tight also when you exercise? 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

@Michael569 as in there’s so much tension. You know when you’re crying hard you have that tension to breathe in where your breath becomes almost like a stutter? If that makes any sense? Same thing when you jump into maybe cold water/shower maybe

@kieranperez i think.....just to make sure this is not a physiological issue, you may want to consider checking in with your doc. To rule out any respiratory or cardiovascular abnormality. Also since breathing is largely a neurological phenomenon most of all, there could be an issue there as well..such as when somebody has a hand tremor, often it comes down to neurological problem.  

Not saying it is any of the above....but just to be sure that this has nothing to do with any of the organs or systems in the body. So that you know that it is something you can deal with through practicing letting go and deep breathing exercises. 

50 minutes ago, Michael569 said:

@kieranperez i think.....just to make sure this is not a physiological issue, you may want to consider checking in with your doc. To rule out any respiratory or cardiovascular abnormality. Also since breathing is largely a neurological phenomenon most of all, there could be an issue there as well..such as when somebody has a hand tremor, often it comes down to neurological problem.  

Not saying it is any of the above....but just to be sure that this has nothing to do with any of the organs or systems in the body. So that you know that it is something you can deal with through practicing letting go and deep breathing exercises. 

I understand what youre saying but I can 100000% promise you that it’s a psychological issue that’s resulted in something psycho-somatic. Every time I take a Psychedelic or have an emptional release, this issue quite literally dissolves. 

@kieranperez Don’t forget to feel good. You’ve been doing some great work. ??  Also, inspect how what “dissolves” is recreated. Clarity:  sensations....misunderstood...avoided / suffering....inspected, understood,...illusion of separation just was never there, and no more recreating the tension & stress (chest pressure) etc. Godspeed man, rootin for ya, as always. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

Check out Down Dog app. From my experience, it's the best out there. You can choose an appropriate level for yourself (from beginner to advanced), length of the practice and you can also choose to focus specifically on some aspect of your practice (core, back, chest, shoulders, etc.) It's not free, but there are 3 free sessions, so you can try it out and see whether it fits your needs.

@Nahm saw a restaurant near me called “Nahm”. Thought you should know about it. Thought of you.

Well, if you try Isha Hatha Yoga, you only have to visit the teacher one or maybe two times. They teach it to you in a way that you can practice it at home by yourself for the rest of your life :D 

On 7/16/2019 at 4:05 AM, kieranperez said:

I'm trying to get started into Hatha Yoga. I'm doing a summer gig where I'm working 60-70 hours a week and simply don't have time to invest in some Hatha Yoga studio. 

Reason

• So I can have enough relaxation in my body where I can finally sit and meditate without any sort of cushion.
  • I'm relaxed and finally flexible enough so I'm free of the tension and stiffness such that I can actually sit in a meditation posture proper and focus
  • Improve my breathing
  • Get enough of the tension out of my chest by improving pranayma so I can finally breath relaxed

I get so confused with trying to establish some sort of routine since I'll do YouTube searches but most of what I find are just individual postures and poses which tells me nothing about starting an actual practice, how to structure it, etc. 

wtf, you work only 60-70h, it is just like 12h per 5 day week. There is 12h left and the weekend ?! What are you going to do when you got few kids ... :D:D:D

here you certainly find what you look for:

https://yogainternational.com/classes/hatha-yoga

On 7/21/2019 at 0:26 AM, ajasatya said:

@kieranperez "Light on Yoga", written by Iyengar. It's a long and complete book for self-taught Hatha Yoga practitioners.

THIS! :)

Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.

∞∞∞∞ Rumi ∞∞∞∞