Knock

How should I donate?

When to donate?   6 members have voted

1. 1. When to donate?

• Now - Spend the capital now, later doesn't matter
    • Later - Use the capital to generate large sums later

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 posts in this topic

I have obtained a significant amount of capital. I am contemplating on how I should use it to contribute to society?

Is it better to donate now, having only a small impact, but then losing the opportunity costs of investing that money.

Or

To invest that money now, so that you have a significant amount of money in the future, which then can make substantial changes and massive impact when you donate?  

My friend..

Investment is better than donation. You create job opportunities for people with your money instead of giving them money for doing nothing.

Think about how many job opportunities a McDonald's supply.

Creating jobs is how you contribute better to society.

The best use of money is to keep it running instead of locking and saving it for the future.

Edited by Truth Addict

It's all relative ... What really really really really makes sense for you to do with it? :)

Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.

∞∞∞∞ Rumi ∞∞∞∞

Let's think about it in a different way, how and to where could you donate your money so that the exponential impact could potentially far exceed the compounding interest that investing it could make? Education? Raising consciousness? If you can't find an answer after lots of research maybe the answer is to wait. 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

I have always thought donation in 2 ways-

- a thing of the people with weak mind who are afraid of God or other diety, who think donation will give them karma, who do not have a hard grasp of cause and effect, who donate because of the fear that they too may be in an unfortunate situation.

- Those who donate out of share love, they have nothing to gain in return. They just want to lessen the suffering of others, or they love something so much that donating to them is no problem and it is what they want to do with all their soul.

If it is of the second type, only then you should donate.

If you don't have such love or empathy, then it's better to invest (Read the book Intelligent Investor by Benjamin Graham) than donating because of fear or some karma nonesense.

And why do people like Bill Gates and billionaires donate? To look good. That's it. I don't think it's because  of love and  desire to change the world for the better.

Edited by Ibn Sina

"Whatever you do or dream you can begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. "   - Goethe

My Blog- Writing for Therapy

Get a couple of consultations with a financial planner.  They can help you allocate for what you want now and also for future needs you may have not considered.