Evan12

Highschool Sports and Personal Development

8 posts in this topic

I am now a junior in high school and have been doing personal development work for about 1.5 years. I have also been involved with highschool sports up to now. I would like a few extra opions from anyone willing to give some. Highschool sports, especially wrestling, take up to 2 hours everyday after school, and the majority of weekends (due to traveling for tournaments). The more I get into personal development, the more time I would to spend on it, and these sports are really taking up most of my extra time. Before I do pros and cons I would to say that I do workout regularly, outside of sports, in the morning. Also I am a lot more of a lone wolf because of my beliefs of non-duality and psychedelics are foreign to anyone I have talked to at my highschool.

Pros-

1. Social benefits (socializing outside of school).

2. Workout.

3. Building mental toughness.

4. Relieving pressure of friends and society saying that highschoolers need to do sports.

Cons-

1. Takes up time.

2. Could create permanent injuries later in life.

3. I won't be pursuing sports at a higher level.

4. Won't have much effect on me later in life.

Thank you for listening to me, I am open to any advice.

@Evan12 I've been running on a pretty consistently for the last 7 years (I'm 21 now)

I reccomend you take the time to spend more time looking inwards and eliminating distractions (useless socialization, chit chatting, "hanging out"...)

Also, take the time to get to the root of any of your bad habits or addictions. Aka clean up the diet (get rid of sugar, limit salt intake, etc.)

DM me if you need more advice. 

Good luck. 

Do any type of workout you like for one hour a day. You can compress the time it takes through innovations. Eliminate time wasters.

Here is an example.

• Three times a week, do wrestling for one hour a day
  • Three times a week, do workout at a gym for one hour a day.

Do workout for personal development, and avoid injuries. You can learn to avoid injuries.

Edited by CreamCat

Thank you for the responses, I'll keep them in mind.

@Evan12 I can relate, I did wrestling for 3 years in High School (Graduated this year). What I noticed about this sport is you actually have to commit to it and all of your free time just disappears during the season. So, you got to play around with your schedule a lot. When I tried doing Personal development during the season I would meditate and read self-help books before school. On tournament days I would try reading on the commute and during those breaks between matches. Also, in the sport you have to diet and cut weight, which presents an opportunity to work on and clean your diet. 

Man, I was literally in the exact same spot you were in, with lone wolf (few friends), non-dual, and psychedelics stuff. From what I've experienced it's just better to keep that stuff to yourself because when you tell people about stuff like that they start thinking that you're weird and trippin.

I'm in highschool too. This is why I don't do sports. The extra time could be so good if you use it well. You need all the time you can get at this age

Lot of valuable lessons learned from participating in sports. Listen to your desires, don’t need to be so serious either, don’t overthink life, too much you will regret. Listen to your intuition